PDA

View Full Version : Making a Telekinetic Character

Vogie
2018-05-14, 10:34 AM
Trying to figure out the best way to make a 100% telekinetic character. Obviously Telekinesis is a 5th level spell, so I'm trying to figure out how to make one from lower levels as well

My initial thought is a GOO Warlock, with Eldritch blasts refluffed as telekinetically thrown items (a la the 3.P spell Telekinetic projectile (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Telekinetic Projectile)), an invisible imp/sprite acting as an invisible "mage hand" (communicated to via Voice of the Chain Master), and the actual Telekinesis spell once I reach level 9.

How would you build a telekinetic?

Millstone85
2018-05-14, 10:39 AM
How about the actual mage hand cantrip in addition to the invisible familiar?

I am playing a similar build, just about to finally reach that level 9.

Vogie
2018-05-14, 10:45 AM
How about the actual mage hand cantrip in addition to the invisible familiar?

I am playing a similar build, just about to finally reach that level 9.

I've thought about that, but I don't want a "spectral, floating hand" - I want things to just move. I know AT rogue have invisible Mage hands, but you can't attack anything with them, and the familiar performing the "help" action will stay invisible, thus performing a useful combat role

Spyderson
2018-05-14, 10:55 AM
Catapult seems like your obvious level 1 pick. Maybe reflavouring gust to be telekinetic moving objects. Big downside of not being a damage cantrip.

Millstone85
2018-05-14, 10:56 AM
From another thread, it looks like MToF, coming to shelves this month, will have the gith as a playable race and they get an invisible mage hand as a racial cantrip.

Mana Opal
2018-05-14, 11:02 AM
The most recent UA Mystic Has the Mastery of Force Discipline, which includes such wonderfully named goodies as Push, Move, and Grasp~ Crush. It's also got Telekinetic Barrier and Inertial Armor, for less blatantly obvious applications, as well as little-to-no-cost Advantage on Strength checks, depending on what other Disciplines you choose as you go along. (You'd definitely want to grab Mystic Hand if you decide to go this route)

Alternatively, any spell or effect that uses wind to move its targets can refluffed as not having the wind at all, making it a telekinetic force. The spells Gust of Wind and, to a lesser degree, Warding Wind both play into this concept. Levitate works without any fluff shenanigans needed.

Now that I look, none of the above spells are on the Warlocks natural list. Um? You do get Evard's Black Tentacles, at least- make those invisible, and you've got a very solid showing of power. Unseen Servant can move things around that are too heavy for Mage Hand, so that might be worth looking into. Arms of Hadar is like a miniature Evard's, though you may want to convince our Dm to make it deal Bludgeoning damage rather than Necrotic to get the full feel. Earthbind is pretty much telekintically shoving a flying creature into the ground already, so little work needs to be done there. Fly, on the other hand, is pretty much the opposite- pushing yourself into the air.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit! And may your game go well, of course.

WOTC_GM
2018-05-14, 02:39 PM
As above, if I wanted to play a Telekinetic character, I would play a mystic. I can't think of any other class that would fit nearly as well. You get push, pull, crush, knockdown, and the ability to take spells like mage hand if you go Wu-Jen.

You also get all of this at very early levels as well, so no need to wait till level 10 to get to your character defining abilities.

Joe the Rat
2018-05-14, 05:15 PM
If you can accept the idea of telekinetic effects not being invisible (Jean Grey's energy glows are in-world, and not for the reader's benefit), you get a lot more flexibility. that spectral hand is simply the ghostly glow your focused will generates when moving things. Ditto the crackly bolts of eldritch blast or magic missile. Thunderwave is very much in style as a crude mass push effect, and shatter for that frenetic crushing field. Feather Fall, Jump, Mage Armor, Floating Disk, Levitatie, Gust of Wind, Fly...

While Warlock gives you a lot of versatility (push blast and pull blast options!), I'm tempted to suggest storm sorcerer as a foundation. Wind, power floats (and intermittent levitation), the occasional static discharge. You generate a substantial EM field with all that kinetic power... and the swarming storm clouds just make you look badass.

Crgaston
2018-05-14, 07:12 PM
I’m surprised no one has mentioned Levitate yet. (Edit: Oops... Sorry Joe!)

Looking at spells which lift, hold or move things, or create effects similar to telekinesis, I’ve come up with this list. Some will need to be refluffed but so long as there’s no major mechanical change they’d probably do.

Cantrips:
Eldritch Blast with the push/pull invocations
Gust
Lightning Lure
Mage Hand
Mold Earth
Shape Water
Thorn Whip

L1:
Catapult
Feather Fall
Jump
Shield
Tensers Floating Disk
Thunderwave

L2:
Cloud of Daggers
Cordon of Arrows
Dust Devil
Earthbind
Flaming Sphere
Gust of Wind
Hold Person
Knock
Levitate
Maximillians Earthen Grasp
Skywrite
Spiritual Weapon
Warding Wind

L3:
Erupting Earth
Fly
Haste
Slow
Tidal Wave
Wall of Sand
Wall of Water
Wind Wall

L4:
Compulsion
Control Water
Grasping Vine
Stone Shape
Storm Sphere
Watery Sphere

L5:
Animate Objects
Bigbys Hand
Control Winds
Maelstrom

And...
Telekinesis!

Etc...

Talionis
2018-05-14, 08:57 PM
Goo Warlock is how id do it. Levitate is a useful invocation at level 9. You can cast Telekinesis every fight, especially once uou get three spells per short rest. Elderitch Blast with its pushes and pulls from invocations add a lot.

Three levels of Rogue Arcane Trickster can give uou the invisible arcane hand and giving up three levels isnt too bad. Not sure youll use Sneak Attack much but expertise is fun. And you can add some Wizard spells.

Vogie
2018-05-15, 02:08 PM
From another thread, it looks like MToF, coming to shelves this month, will have the gith as a playable race and they get an invisible mage hand as a racial cantrip.

OOh, I'm very much looking forward to that.

As above, if I wanted to play a Telekinetic character, I would play a mystic. I can't think of any other class that would fit nearly as well. You get push, pull, crush, knockdown, and the ability to take spells like mage hand if you go Wu-Jen.

You also get all of this at very early levels as well, so no need to wait till level 10 to get to your character defining abilities.

I will be frank in that I forgot the Mystic existed, and looking it over I'm still confused on how it's supposed to work.

If you can accept the idea of telekinetic effects not being invisible (Jean Grey's energy glows are in-world, and not for the reader's benefit), you get a lot more flexibility. that spectral hand is simply the ghostly glow your focused will generates when moving things. Ditto the crackly bolts of eldritch blast or magic missile. Thunderwave is very much in style as a crude mass push effect, and shatter for that frenetic crushing field. Feather Fall, Jump, Mage Armor, Floating Disk, Levitatie, Gust of Wind, Fly...

While Warlock gives you a lot of versatility (push blast and pull blast options!), I'm tempted to suggest storm sorcerer as a foundation. Wind, power floats (and intermittent levitation), the occasional static discharge. You generate a substantial EM field with all that kinetic power... and the swarming storm clouds just make you look badass.

That's actually a really smart option - Better saving throws, more spells, and the Tempestuous Magic doesn't restrict the spells cast to Sorcerer spells - and Warlocks don't do much with Bonus actions anyway.

Three levels of Rogue Arcane Trickster can give uou the invisible arcane hand and giving up three levels isnt too bad. Not sure youll use Sneak Attack much but expertise is fun. And you can add some Wizard spells.

Hmmmm... it'd be perfect if I could get sneak attacks with eldritch blasts. However, if you use those spell slots for Shadow Blade....

Millstone85
2018-05-15, 02:58 PM
I will be frank in that I forgot the Mystic existed, and looking it over I'm still confused on how it's supposed to work.Well, to caricature...

The class uses spell points instead of spell slots, only they are called psi points.

There are cantrips, but they are called talents.

The spells are called disciplines. They are all 1st-level, but each comes with a list of options when upcast.

Something truly new: Whenever you learn a new discipline, you also learn a stance called a psychic focus. You can only adopt one stance at a time, but you can shift at will betwen the stances you know.