PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with coming up with a backstory and mechanics for a sentient magic item

richardbob123
2018-05-14, 10:57 AM
So far i came up with the idea of a dragons soul being trapped with a gauntlet after its defeat. and the dragon goal was to become the strongest and kill every of dragon and be the only one left.

Vogie
2018-05-14, 12:28 PM
The Gauntlet could slowly turn the bearer into a dragon?

You could use the Draconic Bloodline benefits from the Sorcerer stats as a guide. As the bearer kills dragons, they advance more into a dragonesque state.

Grow dragon-like scales that gives natural "mage" armor
Breath weapon
Resistance to the type of damage - this could eventually become immunity, or the bearer gains new resistances the more types of dragons slain
Feather fall, later turning into dragon wings

richardbob123
2018-05-14, 12:35 PM
Would a ability to double the ability score on attack and damage work as well

Dragons_Ire
2018-05-14, 01:53 PM
Would a ability to double the ability score on attack and damage work as wellThat feels too strong to me. If a player has 16 in their attack stat, the magic item is doubling the +3, making this weapon equivalent to a +3 weapon (assuming the magic item has no bonus itself). That's already strong, but most players will have 18 in their attack stat by level 4, and will max it out at 20 ASAP. At that point, this item would basically be a +5 weapon, which is absolutely insane by 5e standards. Even if this is a legendary item, I'd recommend 'just' making it +2 or +3.

richardbob123
2018-05-14, 01:58 PM
i was think of making it a artifact and maybe having the ability use a reaction or bonus action

richardbob123
2018-05-14, 03:51 PM
also i was think of a ability that allow the character to summon a set of dragon like armour

KorvinStarmast
2018-05-14, 03:59 PM
So far i came up with the idea of a dragons soul being trapped with a gauntlet after its defeat. and the dragon goal was to become the strongest and kill every of dragon and be the only one left.

Reskin the Orb of Dragonkind, for starters.

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-14, 03:59 PM
I like the idea of the gauntlet slowly turning the bearer into more of a Dragon the more dragons they kill. The spirit’s ultimate goal might be to transform the wielder of the gauntlet into a full-fledge Dragon, after which the spirit will attempt to take control.

richardbob123
2018-05-15, 12:13 AM
So far i came up with this

Gauntlet of The Apocalypse Dragon
Wondrous Item, Artifact (Requires Attunement)

Aegis Of the Damned: As a action, the wielder of the Gauntlet is able to summon a set of Plate Armour. While the wielder is wearing the armour, they produce a 15ft aura around them.When a creature starts it turn in the aura or moves into the aura, they take 2d10 Fire Damage as well as 2d10 Cold Damage.

Flesh of Ice and Fire: When attuned to the gauntlet, you gain the following benefits:
You have Resistance to both fire and cold damage.
You don't suffer the effects of extreme heat and cold.

Sentience. The Gauntlet of the Apocalypse Dragon is a sentient Chaotic Evil item with an Intelligence of 16, a Wisdom of 10, and a Charisma of 20. It has hearing and darkvision out to a range of 120 feet.

The item can speak, read, and understand Common, Draconic. In addition, the item can
communicate telepathically with any character that carries or wields it.

Personality. The Gauntlet's sole purpose is to eliminate every single dragon in existence and absorb the power of them in order to reach perfection.

Malifice
2018-05-15, 12:28 AM
It was used by THE SORCERER KING; BLACKRAZOR WILL BE YOUR DOOM!

KRSW
2018-05-15, 01:57 AM
Go full Infinity War, make the wearer of the gauntlet be compelled to kill one of each type of either chromatic or metallic dragon and if they do the "dragon gauntlet" turns their heart into a stone and gives them some kind of power.

For me personally, I always love giving sentient artifact items like this to the lowly fighter or barbarian, especially if the item is (probably) evil, like this one. So for this, maybe allow the item to have concentration or act somewhat like a ring of spellstoring, and for each stone they get just give them some kind of 1/longrest Spell.

It works well because these characters probably have low wisdom or charisma saves so you can have fun messing with their characters and forcing them to do things if they dont listen to the item.

Something else you could do, is read up a bit on Dark Sun lore because the ultimate magic in that setting turns them into a dragon, and there is only THE dragon in Dark Sun, not like oh red dragon here blue there maybe another one over here. I really like the concept of both Dregoth and Boris. Just a few ideas, Good Luck!

richardbob123
2018-05-16, 02:21 AM
anything else that could work as a high end ability