PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Suggestions for another ability

TheChangelingMC
2018-05-14, 11:45 AM
I've been homebrewing a derro race for a campaign I'm starting soon and I think they're alright so far but I can't help but feel they need a further ability since they have sunlight sensitivity.

This is the current set up, with the story being in this world the derro's madness is caused by close proximity to ancient horrors in the depths of the world (ala old gods from WoW) and this playable section developed immunity to their whisperings and headed surfaceward, settling in the shallower caverns of the world:

Your derro character has an assortment of inborn abilities common to the derro of the shallow caverns.
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity, Constitution and Charisma scores increase by 1.
Age. Derro mature similarly to dwarves, being considered young until about 40. They can live to around 200 years.
Alignment Though shallow derro have thrown off their evil past, they retain their chaotic nature with most of them being chaotic neutral, though those of a more lawful or good mindset do exist.
Size. Derro stand between 4 and 5 feet and weight a little more than 100 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30.
Darkvision. Having spent your life underground, you have superior darkvision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern colour in darkness, only shades of gray and blue.
Eldritch Resistance. Your ancestors threw off the controlling abilities of an ancient evil and this ability still lingers in your mind. You have advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma saving throws against spells and other magical effects as well as on saving throws against any other effects that would leave you charmed, dominated or frightened.
Stop The Whispers. As a reaction, you can end telepathic communication from any creature.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to percieve is in direct sunlight.
Tool proficiency. You gain proficiency with one of the artisan's tools of your choice: glassblower's tools, jeweller's tools, potter's tools, weaver's tools.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, Undercommon and Dwarven.

Any suggestions for something fitting to the story?

I'm currently toying with giving them a bonus to identifying magical items as the story follows that they're the magical item makers to go alongside the dwarven blacksmiths they've grown closer to, but it feels a bit weak.

Quoz
2018-05-14, 12:36 PM
For a slight bump up, let's more clearly define the power to stop telepathy:
Stop the Whispers: As an action you may cast Silence centered on yourself as a 2nd level spell. When cast this way the spell also blocks all forms of telepathic communication. You may not use this ability again until you take a short or long rest.

Aside from that looks pretty solid. Dex/Con/Cha will see solid play for a lot of classes. Advantage on mental saves is a big plus. Superior darkvision and tool proficiency is not really enough to offset the sensitivity. We're probably about half a feat off from where we want to be. I would add one or two of the following, all related to their history of fighting horrors in the underdark:

Resistant to psychic damage

Any weapon they wield is treated as magic for overcoming resistance

Racial weapon proficiency

Creatures that are hidden from you do not gain advantage to attack you (you still attack with disadvantage)

TheChangelingMC
2018-05-14, 01:36 PM
For a slight bump up, let's more clearly define the power to stop telepathy:
Stop the Whispers: As an action you may cast Silence centered on yourself as a 2nd level spell. When cast this way the spell also blocks all forms of telepathic communication. You may not use this ability again until you take a short or long rest.

Aside from that looks pretty solid. Dex/Con/Cha will see solid play for a lot of classes. Advantage on mental saves is a big plus. Superior darkvision and tool proficiency is not really enough to offset the sensitivity. We're probably about half a feat off from where we want to be. I would add one or two of the following, all related to their history of fighting horrors in the underdark:

Resistant to psychic damage

Any weapon they wield is treated as magic for overcoming resistance

Racial weapon proficiency

Creatures that are hidden from you do not gain advantage to attack you (you still attack with disadvantage)

On the subject of racial weapon proficiency, what about proficiency with any magical item they attune to, provided they meet other requirements like strength and such?