PDA

View Full Version : Gloomstalker / Scout Multiclass

Dax Doomslayer
2018-05-14, 12:54 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm going to be playing in an HotDQ-RoT / SKT mashup adventure and I was thinking of doing a Gloom Stalker / Scout. It's a 75 points, point buy system with a maximum of 16 (before racial bonuses). I was actually thinking of doing a Firbolg for this as it seems like it may fit in interestingly with the SKT piece and the plot points there though I'm not dead set on this. We more than likely will be getting to 15th - 17th level I'd imagine. It looks like go Ranger for the first 5 levels; then Scout the next 4? Does anyone have any advice on how to build this. We can use any WoTC books. Thanks in advance!

strangebloke
2018-05-14, 01:06 PM
Format your question better please.

Something like this:

"I will be playing through HotDQ and SKT with character. I was thinking of some kind of scout 5/gloomstalker 4 multiclass, possibly playing a Firbolg for fluff reasons. We are using point buy. Feats/multiclassing/UA are/are not on the table. We are/are not playing in AL."

Now my questions: are you playing in AL? Are all published materials available? What are your goals with this character? General effectiveness? Pure DPR? Ultimate nature mastery?

CTurbo
2018-05-14, 02:18 PM
Tabaxi Gloom Stalker 5, then Rogue Scout X. Archery Fighting Style. Humanoids as favored enemy.

10 Str, 18 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 14 Wis, 12 Cha after racials.

Sharpshooter, Skulker, Magic Initiate for Control Flames(lets you put out flames), Minor Illusion(for distractions), and Find Familiar(owl or bat) are the top 3 feats I would take. Alert and Mobile are really good for you too.

Crgaston
2018-05-14, 07:44 PM
I have a Vhuman Gloomstalker (PHB Ranger... this would just be ridiculous on a Revised Ranger) who just hit L5.
12/18/14/10/14/8
Humanoid favored enemy.
Archery fighting style, and MI for Control Flames, Owl Familiar and Mending (for fixing arrows). Managed to score some Bracers of Archery and my DM hates (but loves) him. Will be going Scout for the next 5-6 levels probably and then back to GS. It’s a fun character.

Incidentally, this was a new group. We were all strangers when we started and one of the other players has a melee Monster Hunter Ranger. We’re a pretty fearsome pair. We have a wild magic Sorcerer and a Warforged Forge Cleric as well, but Rangers lead the way :)

Dax Doomslayer
2018-05-15, 01:16 PM
Format your question better please.

Something like this:

"I will be playing through HotDQ and SKT with character. I was thinking of some kind of scout 5/gloomstalker 4 multiclass, possibly playing a Firbolg for fluff reasons. We are using point buy. Feats/multiclassing/UA are/are not on the table. We are/are not playing in AL."

Now my questions: are you playing in AL? Are all published materials available? What are your goals with this character? General effectiveness? Pure DPR? Ultimate nature mastery?

Hi,
Thanks for the response. This is a home brew campaign combining HotDQ/RoT with SKT. This is not an AL adventure. Any option within the official WotC books are acceptable (i.e. Xanthar's; SCAG; Volos; feats; multi-classing etc) but UA is not. The character will probably serve as the guide / sneaky type acting like a decent fall back melee type. I'm looking for an effective character but DPR is not the primary concern (as you can tell by the somewhat sub optimal thought of doing a Firbolg). However, I do want the PC to be competent and well rounded. The rest of the party consists of a Dragonborn Paladin; Human Cleric; Halfling Monk; Elf fighter and a Wizard. I appreciate everyone's input!

djreynolds
2018-05-15, 01:41 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm going to be playing in an HotDQ-RoT / SKT mashup adventure and I was thinking of doing a Gloom Stalker / Scout. It's a 75 points, point buy system with a maximum of 16 (before racial bonuses). I was actually thinking of doing a Firbolg for this as it seems like it may fit in interestingly with the SKT piece and the plot points there though I'm not dead set on this. We more than likely will be getting to 15th - 17th level I'd imagine. It looks like go Ranger for the first 5 levels; then Scout the next 4? Does anyone have any advice on how to build this. We can use any WoTC books. Thanks in advance!

Looks like your party will never get lost. But I would grab at least 5 rogue as uncanny dodge versus boulders could be helpful

Dax Doomslayer
2018-05-15, 02:50 PM
Looks like your party will never get lost. But I would grab at least 5 rogue as uncanny dodge versus boulders could be helpful

Yeah - I'm trying to figure if I should go Rogue 1>>Ranger 5>>Rogue +4. This gives me an extra skill. Or do I go Ranger 5>>Rogue 5. This gets me my ASI and extra attack quicker. Also, I'm not sure what to do afterwards on this as to what mix of Ranger and Rogue level wise would be optimal. If I should even continue with Ranger etc. I think I'm leaning to doing a fairly even split although the 11th lvl stalker ability looks pretty cool. I'm just trying to get what people think etc. that have played this type of character before. Thanks!!

djreynolds
2018-05-15, 02:58 PM
It depends if you are using revised ranger, as greater favored enemy is at 6th level.

But you may want medium armor proficiency, just to have it. It that worth more than a skill.

I would begin ranger and get that medium armor proficiency. You can stealth in breast plate and have A.C. 16, at least until you've maxed dexterity. It's 400gp, breast plate at cheap

But if the skill is more valuable, go rogue.

Does this go from level 1, or start at 5th or 6th?

Also level 7 ranger is wisdom proficiency in saves and dragons are scary and pro from evil is no help.

But choices are a good thing
Good luck

CTurbo
2018-05-15, 03:05 PM
Yeah - I'm trying to figure if I should go Rogue 1>>Ranger 5>>Rogue +4. This gives me an extra skill. Or do I go Ranger 5>>Rogue 5. This gets me my ASI and extra attack quicker. Also, I'm not sure what to do afterwards on this as to what mix of Ranger and Rogue level wise would be optimal. If I should even continue with Ranger etc. I think I'm leaning to doing a fairly even split although the 11th lvl stalker ability looks pretty cool. I'm just trying to get what people think etc. that have played this type of character before. Thanks!!

I think I'd stick with Ranger 5 / Rogue 15. You'd end up with 8d6 Sneak damage and I just like what Rogue gives you over Ranger at higher levels. But going Ranger 11/Rogue 9 would still be really good. You'd still have 5d6 Sneak damage, but more spells + the Stalker's Fury feature which is good. Note: You end up with Wisdom save proficiency either way although you'd get it sooner going Ranger 7.

If you're going to be an archer, it's probably best to take more Ranger levels since the Ranger gets all of the excellent Arrow spells.

Sadly, the Rogue's 2nd level Cunning Action already does what the Ranger's 8th and 14th level features give you which is all the more reason I would stay mostly Rogue.

Dax Doomslayer
2018-05-16, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the response. This will start at first level and go up from there. There are a couple of cool abilities that the Gloom Stalker has and I think I'll probably go Archer so some of those spells do look pretty cool. The 11th level Stalker's Flurry is a neat ability but I guess so is the Scout's 13th level Ambush Master. Granted that's a long way in the future. However, I think getting the first 5 levels as Ranger looks to be the consensus and then go the next 5 as Rogue. After that, I guess it could be Rogue +4 then back to Ranger...Hmmm...