PDA

View Full Version : Help creating a stronger duergar leader/villain

Jellyburd
2018-05-14, 03:36 PM
Hi all, my PCs are in the middle of a large battlefield. They got the jump on a duergar camp and will see the big baddy next session. Any advice on boosting duergar stats or making him more interesting? Or enchanted items he could have as drops for the PCs? This is my first time creating "the big boss" outside of a default creature. My PCs are all level 6 (started at 5) fighter, ranger, sorcerer, cleric. There will be chaos around them (large numbers of duergar against large numbers of deep gnomes)
Thanks!

stoutstien
2018-05-15, 12:46 AM
How long and how hard of a fight do you have in mind?

Malifice
2018-05-15, 01:18 AM
Hi all, my PCs are in the middle of a large battlefield. They got the jump on a duergar camp and will see the big baddy next session. Any advice on boosting duergar stats or making him more interesting? Or enchanted items he could have as drops for the PCs? This is my first time creating "the big boss" outside of a default creature. My PCs are all level 6 (started at 5) fighter, ranger, sorcerer. There will be chaos around them (large numbers of duergar against large numbers of deep gnomes)
Thanks!

Use the Warlord (buff) or Champion (brute) or Gladiator (brute) or Knight (brute) NPC stats, or Hobgoblin Warlord (buff) stats depending on what CR/ XP value you're after.

Simply give the NPC/ Monster the Duergar racial abilities (invisibility and enlarge 1 a short rest each), sunlight sensitivity, duergar resilience, resistance to poison damage and darkvision 120'.

They wont know the difference.

If it was me, for a mid level party I would use the Hobgobin Warlord stats, with the above Duergar racials tacked on.

Jellyburd
2018-05-15, 12:55 PM
How long and how hard of a fight do you have in mind?

I want this to be tough. It's essentially the culmination of a large story arc.

Jellyburd
2018-05-15, 12:56 PM
If it was me, for a mid level party I would use the Hobgobin Warlord stats, with the above Duergar racials tacked on.

That actually seems perfect.

LordEntrails
2018-05-15, 01:15 PM
Consider looking up the 4E duergar. They had poisoned beard spikes. That might throw them for a look and would make him very memorable.

Grear Bylls
2018-05-15, 01:28 PM
Hi all, my PCs are in the middle of a large battlefield. They got the jump on a duergar camp and will see the big baddy next session. Any advice on boosting duergar stats or making him more interesting? Or enchanted items he could have as drops for the PCs? This is my first time creating "the big boss" outside of a default creature. My PCs are all level 6 (started at 5) fighter, ranger, sorcerer. There will be chaos around them (large numbers of duergar against large numbers of deep gnomes)
Thanks!

Wait till Mordy's comes out. It'll have some info on Duergar and Drow, me thinks. That SHOULD come with some stats

Unoriginal
2018-05-15, 01:34 PM
OP:

The Mordenkainen's Tome of Foe will have several new statblocks for Duergars.

The CR 6 Duergar Warlord has already been previewed, and the Duergar Despot is being released in a few days.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/05/dd-a-motherlode-of-monsters-from-mordenkainens-tome-of-foes.html

Jellyburd
2018-05-15, 02:42 PM
OP:

The Mordenkainen's Tome of Foe will have several new statblocks for Duergars.

The CR 6 Duergar Warlord has already been previewed, and the Duergar Despot is being released in a few days.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/05/dd-a-motherlode-of-monsters-from-mordenkainens-tome-of-foes.html

I'm a little nervous. He seems wicked strong for CR 6. 3x1d10+4 and 3x1d10 in one turn with multi attack and inspire grunts to attack? I might use it, nerf the AC to 18 and remove the extra psychic damage.
Thoughts?

Grear Bylls
2018-05-15, 03:34 PM
I'm a little nervous. He seems wicked strong for CR 6. 3x1d10+4 and 3x1d10 in one turn with multi attack and inspire grunts to attack? I might use it, nerf the AC to 18 and remove the extra psychic damage.
Thoughts?

We cant really say anything until you tell us how strong you want him. If you want a tough fight, tell us tough for what level. 4 level 5s, 2 level 7s, 97 level 1s, what?

Envyus
2018-05-15, 03:41 PM
Thoughts?
Nah that seems about right.

Unoriginal
2018-05-15, 05:23 PM
Thoughts?

Don't think it's that strong.

Jellyburd
2018-05-15, 06:30 PM
We cant really say anything until you tell us how strong you want him. If you want a tough fight, tell us tough for what level. 4 level 5s, 2 level 7s, 97 level 1s, what?

I thought that I mentioned it.
They are 4 lvl 6s
Cleric, Ranger, Fighter, Sorcerer.
However, The Sorc won't enter battle until a round or 2 in. (he's off being sneaky)
I want it to be tough. A true "boss battle"

Jellyburd
2018-05-15, 06:31 PM
Don't think it's that strong.

First off, i'm pretty sure you have posted on several of my posts, so thanks lol
I guess i'm just paranoid then!

Unoriginal
2018-05-15, 06:35 PM
How many encounters will they have before that boss fight?

If they have no fight before, I suggest 3 Duergars and one Duergar Warlord minimum, if you want it to be hard. Also buff the Warlord's HPs and maybe give them a Legendary action.

Jellyburd
2018-05-15, 06:46 PM
How many encounters will they have before that boss fight?
If they have no fight before, I suggest 3 Duergars and one Duergar Warlord minimum, if you want it to be hard.

This is fresh combat. I wanted to up the scale of battle because they are essentially getting the jump on a massive camp.
After a couple rounds of combat I plan for the duergar numbers to begin feeling overwhelming, but will have a large number of deep gnomes (who they allied with) join the fight to equal out. There will be too many duergar to handle alone, but they wont all be focusing on the PCs.
I was thinking warlord+10 duergar. not all at once, but a few per round. Then introduce a similar number of gnomes.

Also buff the Warlord's HPs and maybe give them a Legendary action.
I was gonna add parry (not legendary) but will basically buff an already high (20) AC

Malifice
2018-05-15, 09:19 PM
This is fresh combat. I wanted to up the scale of battle because they are essentially getting the jump on a massive camp.
After a couple rounds of combat I plan for the duergar numbers to begin feeling overwhelming, but will have a large number of deep gnomes (who they allied with) join the fight to equal out. There will be too many duergar to handle alone, but they wont all be focusing on the PCs.
I was thinking warlord+10 duergar. not all at once, but a few per round. Then introduce a similar number of gnomes.

I was gonna add parry (not legendary) but will basically buff an already high (20) AC

What level are they and how many?

Post 5th level, the game is quite forgiving.