PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Bard build.

retaliation08
2018-05-14, 06:18 PM
Level is 2-4. Probably won't ever see above level 6.
Basing the character losely off of Nils from Firr Emblem Blazing Blade.

So far I am fairly settled on Magic Blooded Silverbrow Human child with at least Bard 1 and DFI.

I'd like to get some more versatility and draconic flavor with Silver Dragon Lineage and Draconic Breath feats.

Im not really optimizing IC because the group is mostly t4-t3 fairly low OP. However, I do like the fluff and mechanics of Words of creation.

Melodic casting is a hard feat not to take, but I'd be willing to pass on it.

These are the parts I have and am unable to fit together satisfactorily.

Am I missing anything? How would you make it work?

Falontani
2018-05-14, 06:24 PM
Melodic Casting feat in Complete Mage: You can cast spells while inspiring, make Perform checks instead of Concentration checks for casting.

Song of the Heart feat in Eberron Campaign Setting: +1 Inspire Courage.

Badge of Valor item in Magic Item Compendium: Spend an Immediate Action to increase your active Inspire Courage by another +1.

Inspirational Boost spell in Spell Compendium: Swift Action your next Inspire Courage is increased by another +1.

Dragonfire Inspiration feat in Dragon Magic: Your +X Inspire Courage attack/damage bonus is switched to +Xd6 fire damage instead, if you have Draconic Heritage (requires Dragontouched feat or Sorcerer levels) you can get a different type of energy damage instead of fire.

Words of Creation feat in Book of Exalted Deeds: Doubles your Inspire Courage bonus, all of the above except the Badge of Valor bonus can be applied first before the total is doubled.

A Bard 3 can get +4 Inspire Courage, or a +4d6 Dragonfire Inspiration. With Words of Creation it goes up to +7, or +7d6. At 8th level with Words of Creation it goes up to +9, or +9d6.

+7d6 damage for your party doesn't care if they are low op or T3-4, they get boosted and makes you all powerful. Now all you have to do is make sure you hit!

retaliation08
2018-05-14, 06:27 PM
Well, I'm taking more thematic spells known and skipping Inspirational Boost. Also, Words of creation requires +5 base will save. Means multiclassing to get at level 3 and bumps Song of the Heart out.

Falontani
2018-05-14, 06:29 PM
take a level or two of Human paragon? Just a similar post from a while back

retaliation08
2018-05-14, 06:40 PM
That is what I was considering, though a dip in Sorcerer would offer more towards the draconic feats. Problem is that it qualifies me for feats I can't get.

Bard 3 feat is open.

Bard 1/ HP2 qualifies for WoC, and has an open feat, but the floating class skills arent necessary.

Bard 2/ Dragonblooded Sorc 1 qualifies for words of creation and draconic feats, but can only take 1.

Sorc 1/ Bard 2 can get draconic feats at level 1, and qualifies for at 3 for WoC, which now competes with DFI. This build lacks skill points.

You see my problem? Maybe there isnt a solution without some DM grace or wanting less.

Nifft
2018-05-14, 08:59 PM
If you have a spare feat slot, you might consider a Bard with the Dragontouched feat (from Dragon Magic). That feat gives you the Dragonblood subtype and allows you to take Draconic feats as if you were a Sorcerer, which makes Bard slots a tiny bit more versatile.

You could do something like...

Human Bard 4
L1: Dragontouched, Draconic Heritage -> Flaws would allow Dragonfire Inspiration & Draconic Breath here, too
L3: Silver Dragon Lineage

If you see level 6, pick up Song of the Heart at that time. Otherwise you're just a regular Bard who breathes chillhop.

retaliation08
2018-05-14, 09:17 PM
Ah thanks Nifft. Dragontouched was the missing link. Assuming I ever get to level 6, I could pick up WoC and SotH or Melodic Casting then.

retaliation08
2018-05-14, 09:54 PM
Does dragonblood subtype allow alter self into a dragon? Or not because it is a subtype and not a type?

Nifft
2018-05-14, 09:59 PM
Does dragonblood subtype allow alter self into a dragon? Or not because it is a subtype and not a type?

Nope, and you're right: it's because it's not a type.

You could be a Dragonwrought Kobold Bard, of course -- with flaws, you could start with Draconic Heritage and Dragonfire Inspiration, too.