PDA

View Full Version : Why the Psionic Character are the best blaster

meet shield
2007-09-05, 05:20 AM
Why? Simply!
You only need to take 5 level on the Psion base class. If you are uman, you've got 5 feats: take natural endowment, overload, Psionic meditation, Rapid power (all "complete manual of the psionic arts") and competence in esotic weapon (giant lance). Now, select "telecinetic lunge" like one of your power and "haste" too.
THis power consent to you to take a number of object like your manifestation level (overload it) and toss all of them whit a distant attac whit intelligence for base static. Now, cause you have a lot of giant lance of enormous size, you do, for only succesfull check, 3d6 of damage. And you have 7 check!
And, ovviusly, tou also can cast a rapid power for round and maintain the psionic focus... at the 5th level.:smallamused:

The Glyphstone
2007-09-05, 05:27 AM
That is possible, but you have also just used up a good portion of that day's power points, leaving you extremely underpowered for any future fights that day.

Is "Complete Manual of the Psionic Arts" the non-English translation title for the Expanded Psionic Handbook? I've never heard of that book otherwise, but it sounds close enough.

gooddragon1
2007-09-05, 05:35 AM
Sounds like CPsi to me actually which I will never buy as it nerfs psionics too much IMO. Now why waste your time with 5 feats? Just get to 9th level as a wizard and learn shrink item and telekinesis. Then shrink something big, throw it with telekinesis and shout the command word. This is NOT falling damage its being thrown horizontally not dropped vertically. If you're too lazy to do that and want a 5th level character good against multiple enemies or a single enemy, pick some save or suck spells like deep slumber and have a ****ing field day.

Zincorium
2007-09-05, 05:55 AM
Why? Simply!
You only need to take 5 level on the Psion base class. If you are uman, you've got 5 feats: take natural endowment, overload, Psionic meditation, Rapid power (all "complete manual of the psionic arts") and competence in esotic weapon (giant lance). Now, select "telecinetic lunge" like one of your power and "haste" too.
THis power consent to you to take a number of object like your manifestation level (overload it) and toss all of them whit a distant attac whit intelligence for base static. Now, cause you have a lot of giant lance of enormous size, you do, for only succesfull check, 3d6 of damage. And you have 7 check!
And, ovviusly, tou also can cast a rapid power for round and maintain the psionic focus... at the 5th level.:smallamused:

Firefox: built in spell checker. Might want to look into it. Bad spelling makes you appear stupid, even when you aren't.

I can't find natural endowment anywhere, so I'm going to assume you're talking about the psionic endowment feat. And it's a poor choice for a feat. Likewise with overload, but I'm finding overchannel pretty easily. Rapid power isn't in the Complete Psionic, so it looks like you're talking about some similiarly named 3rd party book (which the use of generally does not impress me).

Telekinetic thrust (the only power resembling telecinetic lunge in the expanded psionics handbook) has a maximum limit of 250 lbs. Since you're 5th level, you can't augment it, as it costs PP equal to your manifester level already. If you overchannel, and take 1d8 damage, that goes up to 275 (you can only overchannel for 1 level at 5th).

A medium lance is 10 lbs and does a d8 of damage. Increase it to large and you've got 2d6 damage for 20 lbs. Presumably, a huge lance would do 3d6 and weigh 40 lbs. Normally, this would be 6 (40 x 6 = 240) but you can only throw five unless you overchannel.

So, if you make 5 successful ranged attacks (yes, with your intelligence bonus instead of dex), you can deal at most 15d6 overall.

On the other hand, you can use energy burst, and if you have 3 critters in range, you can have dealt 15d6 + 15 fire damage. And you don't have to carry around 240lbs of weapons you aren't able to use normally.

So it's not like you're gaining much. Saving throws are more likely to fail than attack rolls from a psion are to succeed.

And there's no need whatsoever to take weapon proficiency in lances.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-05, 12:11 PM
For a super blaster go gestaltl with a Psion and an Erudite and take some PRC levels in AI.

meet shield
2007-09-05, 02:24 PM
Dear Zincorium.
Fistly, the rapid power exist.
Secondly, a wizard of 5th only can cast...what? a Fireball to 5d6?
Endly, cause the giant lance have a weight of 4lb and do 2d6 of damage, isn't better use 6 lance for a total of 18d6 (and 6 lance for other 12d8 whit the rapid power too)? At the 5th level, when you sure kill whatever encounter of your level? And probably an encounter of many level more too?:smallyuk:

Damionte
2007-09-05, 02:47 PM
Dear Zincorium.
Endly, cause the giant lance have a weight of 4lb and do 2d6 of damage, isn't better use 6 lance for a total of 18d6 (and 6 lance for other 12d8 whit the rapid power too)? At the 5th level, when you sure kill whatever encounter of your level? And probably an encounter of many level more too?:smallyuk:

Rapid Power = "Quicken Power" in the English Books.

I believe you meant to say "Human" and not "uman". I actually went looking for a race called uman. Then realised you just had a typo. :)

Lvl-1: Psionic Endowment, Overchannel, Quicken Power
Lvl-3: Psionic Meditation
Lvl-5: Exotic Weapon proficiency (Giant Lance) (( I don't believe you need this feat to make this work. You don't need proficiency in the things you throw around with telekenisis, you could just pick up a rock or a chair and throw that, it would do the same thing.)

Come to think of it, none of these feats are required to do what you want to do. Any 5th level Kinetisist could do this if there were enough giant weapons laying around.

Psionic thrust is NOT a constant power. it's an instant power. You can't maintain focus on it.

The buidl idea is a good one, except how do you carry around all of those giant great spears? Where do you put them? Especially at wealth for lvl 5?

gooddragon1
2007-09-05, 03:37 PM
Actually I just thought of why wizards can be better blasters than psions (This is conditional a bit however).

Reverse gravity+Prismatic Wall

Place reversed gravity beneath a prismatic wall that is horizontal. The subjects fall upward, gravity then pulls the subjects downwards. Conditional because flight negates this. Seriously though, there is more cheese for arcane and divine than there is for psionics so why waste time with blasting when you could be crunching? http://www.webshop.servenet.com/crunch.jpg

Zincorium
2007-09-05, 05:02 PM
Dear Zincorium.

If you meant quicken power, as another poster suggested, you can't use it. Why? Because it requires you to spend an additional 6 power points. Which means you'd have to be 11th level to do it on telekinetic thrust at all.

Yep. On as many targets as they can fit in the area of effect. So the individual damage isn't as high but the total damage can be in the hundreds of d6's if the area is heavily populated enough.

40 lbs and 3d6. And I said you could use 6 with overchannel, which means you deal damage to yourself.

Yes, it's a good bit of damage against a single opponent. 18d6 is, on average, 63 damage. If you hit with every single one.

This is similiar damage to the raging barbarian at that level critting with a greataxe.

meet shield
2007-09-06, 05:49 AM
One: Whit Psionic endowement you DON'T have any damage to overchannel.
Two: Of course. If you need to kill a lot of people it's stupid use this power... but the psion have more then one power of 3rd level at the 5th level class. Why don't you take "energy explosion" or "energy con"? "6"d6 to damage in an area of 12m-18m? And to the next level take "ball of energy", of fourth level but very better then a fireball?

meet shield
2007-09-06, 05:53 AM
three: a barbarian with a greataxe have a criticall one time for every 20 attack, if he's lucky. (one for every 10 with a feat). You can do this every round. Sure. If you have power point. And it is the same problem of a wizard, isn't it?

Arbitrarity
2007-09-06, 06:46 AM
Ah. Not psionic Endowment, but Talented, which can be translated as "Natural endowment". However, overchannel still allows one(1) extra manifester level at level 5, which is a total of 6. That's not exactly allowing you to use a quickened power, which has a minimum expenditure of 7 pp.

2: Point: you have two powers. Hurray. You can have, like, fireball or telekenesis 7/day. Or less, if you have a more reasonable 20 int.

3: At level 5, you have 25 power-points per day. And an ML of 5. Let's go with the extreme, insane case available. That is, int of 24 (Note: Venerable human). Then, you have 42 pp/day (More reasonable, 20 int, gives 37 pp). This allows this combination to be used 7/day, but you will be utterly useless apart from that, which is, of course, the price to pay for being psionic and "going nova". Secondarily, you have +9 to hit (in this case. Note the Int modifier. Also note to do this, you take -6 in all physical stats, i.e. constitution), which is less than an equivalently sacrificing fighter (Y'know, with 24 strength, he has +13 or so). Furthermore, each of your lances does 3d8 if they're gargantuan, which means 80 lb. Each. Since you have ML 6, it's better to use huge lances (as 6*2d8>3*3d8), which are 2d8 each. That means you're doing an incredible average 9*hits, and you get 6 attacks. I don't recall average AC for monsters, but I'm betting you're hitting 75% ish of the time (I.e. 14 AC average, seems perfectly reasonable). So that's 40.5 average damage "single target".

Now, let's see. Level 5 is that level, so 10+10+6.5+12+3.5 = 42. That's the 24 str character using battle leader's charge, and full power attacking with a greataxe, while in punishing stance. Note that his to-hit is the same as yours, he can pull this off an unlimited number of times per day, and he can't charge, he can use bonecrusher for the same damage, same to-hit, assuming he power attacks for 2 points less. Also, he's a warblade, so manuver recovery is easy.

Why charging characters make the best blasters :P. Also, you have to deal with soft cover, firing into melee, etc. Also, his charge range = your telekenesis range :smallbiggrin: .

StickMan
2007-09-06, 08:26 AM
Firefox: built in spell checker. Might want to look into it. Bad spelling makes you appear stupid, even when you aren't.

First off I hate when people do this kind of thing if you honestly have an issue with some ones spelling send them a PM. When you post that kind of thing in a tread your just trying to embarrass someone. Other than that I have no issue with what you have said here.

Psions make poor blasters unless you go nova and then you have nothing to do the rest of the day, which can be quite useful if your party wants a nuke, and you have say a bow or some other weapon to play with afterward. Psions are best for summoning (Non complete nerf) and Mind control.

Indon
2007-09-06, 09:49 AM
Isn't there a psionic version of Animate Object that is pretty nice?