PDA

View Full Version : Building a Bodyguard: How to Develop the Deck of Many Thing's "Knight"

PrinceOfMadness
2018-05-14, 10:28 PM
Hi guys!

So, in last week's session, our group was gifted a somewhat diluted Deck of Many Things. Naturally, there were shenanigans, before and after, and during the course of those my character drew the Knight card. For those not familiar, this essentially creates a 4th level fighter, of the same race as myself, who I control as an NPC who believes it is their god-given duty to protect me from harm. I want to get the most mileage out of this guy that I can, but I'm looking for some advice from folks more familiar with 5e than myself as to what some good options would be for developing Leroy McTankFace into a bigger, better bodyguard. Game type is a Monty Haul dungeon crawl, so magic items abound.

Restrictions:
Must start out as a Fighter 4, but can multiclass, and currently has enough experience to advance to level 5.
Race is the same as my own (half-elf).
Stats rolled: 18, 17, 15, 14, 14, 12.
All official WotC sourcebooks and Unearthed Arcana are available.
GM has a houserule that ranged attacks fired into melee roll with disadvantage, so I am somewhat reluctant to pursue ranged options.

Our party comp is a bit light on spell slots, so suggestions that include spellcasting (without also being utterly MAD) are a bonus.

Including party composition for reference:
Level 7 Half Elf Conjuration Wizard (myself)
Level 7 Human Champion Two-Weapon Fighter
Level 8 Dwarf Oath of Vengeance Paladin
Level 10 Human Inquisitive Rogue multiclassing into Arcane Archer

Vessyra
2018-05-14, 11:26 PM
The sentinel feat is quite helpful for tanking, as it can stop creatures getting around the knight to you or it can make a free attack against a creature that attacks someone else. If you don't know what the sentinel feat is:

Sentinel
You have mastered techniques to take advantage of every drop in any enemy’s guard, gaining the following benefits:

When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, the creature’s speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn.
Creatures provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the Disengage action before leaving your reach.
When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn’t have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.

Recommended ability scores: str 18, con 17+1, dex 14, wis 15+1, int 14, 12+2.

Since the sentinel feat will draw a lot of attacks against the knight, you it'll keep you safe but also hurt the knight, so take one level in barbarian then get him some a magic half-plate (or breastplate, if your group stealths) and a shield.

Angelalex242
2018-05-15, 12:40 AM
The sentinel feat is quite helpful for tanking, as it can stop creatures getting around the knight to you or it can make a free attack against a creature that attacks someone else. If you don't know what the sentinel feat is:

Recommended ability scores: str 18, con 17+1, dex 14, wis 15+1, int 14, 12+2.

Since the sentinel feat will draw a lot of attacks against the knight, you it'll keep you safe but also hurt the knight, so take one level in barbarian then get him some a magic half-plate (or breastplate, if your group stealths) and a shield.

Absolutely not. A level 4 fighter needs to be a level 5 fighter stat for second attack. do not put that off.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-05-15, 01:17 AM
Fighter 5: Cavalier
Str - 18
Dex - 15 (+1 Racial) = 16
Con - 17 (+1 Racial) = 18
Int - 12
Wis - 14
Cha - 14 (+2 Racial) = 16

Your Paladin has access to Find Steed, ask(demand) him prepare it and create something for your Fighter to ride and control the battlefield with. You can use whatever mount he summons to have your fighter block corridors or you yourself could even hide behind said mount. The mount also serves as a terrific distraction by itself. His Unwavering Mark will give him the ability to defend you and your allies by giving enemies disadvantage on attacks not targeting him. Take mounted combatant or sentinel. This is by no means the best choice, but I think it's a fun and useful bodyguard.

As a note, I don't think making him into a tank is the best use you can get out of him. He's nearly half the parties level and is liable to end up dead that way.

PrinceOfMadness
2018-05-15, 01:26 AM
For what it's worth, he would not be the primary party tank (that honor goes to the paladin). I do find the Cavalier build interesting, but I'm not sure how practical it will be long term - we have been spending a lot of game time in caves, dungeons, and other cramped quarters - regardless, I will give it a look!

Blood of Gaea
2018-05-15, 03:32 AM
If you could use spellcasting, just go full levels in Eldritch Knight, and use the 4th level ASI to get Ritual Caster. Boom, your party now has a decent tank who is also a solid utility caster. The 6th level ASI can just bump his attack stat to 20.

Cespenar
2018-05-15, 05:04 AM
As others said, he'll be half the party's level (and HP), so a level of Barb would do wonders to stay alive, period.

Any other build would need to have him stay back and contribute in another way.

Oh, try something like this, maybe: Battlemaster 4/Cleric 1. Contributes by maneuvers through archery, and is the Bless/Healing Word mule for the party.

PrinceOfMadness
2018-05-15, 02:03 PM
If you could use spellcasting, just go full levels in Eldritch Knight, and use the 4th level ASI to get Ritual Caster. Boom, your party now has a decent tank who is also a solid utility caster. The 6th level ASI can just bump his attack stat to 20.

I am strongly tempted to take Eldritch Knight and multiclass into Bladesinger Wizard, prioritizing Int > Dex > Con. However I have concerns about not being able to use medium armor or shields with Bladesong, not to mention needing to invest heavily into initiative to stay alive.

As others said, he'll be half the party's level (and HP), so a level of Barb would do wonders to stay alive, period.

Any other build would need to have him stay back and contribute in another way.

Oh, try something like this, maybe: Battlemaster 4/Cleric 1. Contributes by maneuvers through archery, and is the Bless/Healing Word mule for the party.

Barbarian is tempting for the damage resistance and armored pecs class feature, but I'm not sure the rage is worth giving up the ability to cast spells.

Cleric is also tempting, but it starts to make the character very MAD, wanting Wis, Con, Dex, and Strength. Unless I'm missing something?

nickl_2000
2018-05-15, 02:07 PM
I know his name is something like Tanky McTankface, but he is so far behind you that he doesn't have much of a chance. My opinion? Give him Crossbow expert at level 4 and use a dex stat array. Let him rein arrows from afar and just concentrate on hitting. He will drop some major damage that way,

Recommended ability scores: str 14, con 17+1, dex 18, wis 15+1, int 14, char 12+2.

Vogie
2018-05-15, 02:40 PM
Since you already have a tank, just make him a mobile turret. Give that man a bow!

For raw damage, choose Brute fighter 4

For Damage and a bit of utility, Arcane Archer fighter 4. Choose from the 4 utility arrows - Banishing, Shadow (blindness), Beguiling (charm), or Grasping - and have him just pepper the target.

That'll allow your REAL arcane archer/rogue to focus on pumping out damage.

PrinceOfMadness
2018-05-15, 03:30 PM
My GM has a houserule that makes firing ranged weapons into melee roll with disadvantage, so I'm not sure I like ranged routes (it's forced me to focus on spells that don't require a spell attack roll, for the most part). Updated the OP with that information.

Vogie
2018-05-15, 03:54 PM
My GM has a houserule that makes firing ranged weapons into melee roll with disadvantage, so I'm not sure I like ranged routes (it's forced me to focus on spells that don't require a spell attack roll, for the most part). Updated the OP with that information.

In that case, you can negate it by going Samurai Archer instead. The THP will also keep your knight around for longer.

After a 5th level in fighter, you can turn around and have it MC.

A couple of levels of rogue or bard can turn it into a skill monkey, increasing damage with sneak attack (also useful with Fighting Spirit) or utility with Bardic Inspiration & Song of Rest.
A single Level of Cleric can usually make a huge turn-around. A 1 level Forge cleric dip, for example, can give the fighter (or the paladin, or you) a +1 weapon or +1AC; 1 Level in Life cleric would make a great off-healer; Light cleric gives you Faerie Fire; War domain gives you Shield of Faith.
A single level of Ranger will give the knight a favored enemy (usefulness varies by campaign)

DarkKnightJin
2018-05-15, 06:07 PM

I'm not sure I follow.. Is the houserule that ranged attacks while in melee range of a target are at Disadvantage? Because that's not a houserule, that's just a rule.

Unless you mean shots fired at someone in a melee is at Disadvantage. Then it feels like the DM crapping on ranged builds, because the target should be getting 3/4 cover at the very most, in such cases.

As for the Fighter/Cleric thing.. You can focus on spells that don't rely on the casting stat. Bless is a good example. They cast Bless on you and 2 allies, then they hang back a bit so they don't get smacked. Possibly shooting into the fray with a crossbow or longbow.

PrinceOfMadness
2018-05-15, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure I follow.. Is the houserule that ranged attacks while in melee range of a target are at Disadvantage? Because that's not a houserule, that's just a rule.

Unless you mean shots fired at someone in a melee is at Disadvantage. Then it feels like the DM crapping on ranged builds, because the target should be getting 3/4 cover at the very most, in such cases.

It's the latter, unfortunately.

As for the Fighter/Cleric thing.. You can focus on spells that don't rely on the casting stat. Bless is a good example. They cast Bless on you and 2 allies, then they hang back a bit so they don't get smacked. Possibly shooting into the fray with a crossbow or longbow.
That's a fair point, and it would be undeniably helpful to have more heals/buffs to throw around, in addition to the benefits of having another spell list to draw from.

Petrocorus
2018-05-15, 07:00 PM
As other have said, you should not multiclass him before level 5, unless you really have a specific design in mind.

Battle Master is always good, but Eldritch Knight gives Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Endure Element, whatever is your Int. As long with 2 cantrips and spell slots you can use if you multiclass.
Given you rolled good stat, it's easy to keep an Int of 14.

If you want to multiclass into Cleric, Forge cleric would be good. The level 1 feature is really helpful.

Cespenar
2018-05-16, 08:33 AM
Barbarian is tempting for the damage resistance and armored pecs class feature, but I'm not sure the rage is worth giving up the ability to cast spells.

Cleric is also tempting, but it starts to make the character very MAD, wanting Wis, Con, Dex, and Strength. Unless I'm missing something?

Barb is for a non-casting, tanking NPC.

Cleric is just for being a Bless mule and casting Healing Word if anyone drops to zero. No need for Wis.