PDA

View Full Version : Help me balance this thing please.

LordDeath666
2018-05-14, 10:32 PM
I'm starting a Champaign Friday and the gm is allowing home brew. I found this thing called the elemental rager and was hoping you could help me dumb it down so it's not so op. I want every feature left there but just balance it out.

Level Base
Attack
Bonus Saving Throws Special
Fort Ref Will
1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Fast Movement, Elemental rage
2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 Uncanny Dodge, Imbue element 1d6
3rd +3 +3 +1 +1 Trap Sense +1, Elemental Spellcaster
4th +4 +4 +1 +1 Elemental rage 2
5th +5 +4 +1 +1 Improved Uncanny Dodge, Imbue element 2d6
6th +6/+1 +5 +2 +2 Trap Sense +2
7th +7/+2 +5 +2 +2 Elemental rage 3
8th +8/+3 +6 +2 +2 Imbue element 3d6
9th +9/+4 +6 +3 +3 Trap Sense +3
10th +10/+5 +7 +3 +3 Elemental rage 4, Double rage duration
11th +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +3 Greater Rage, Imbue element 4d6
12th +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +4 Trap Sense +4
13th +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +4
14th +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +4 Indomitable Will, Imbue element 5d6
15th +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +5 Trap Sense +5
16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +5
17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +5 Tireless Rage, Imbue element 6d6
18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +6 Trap Sense +6
19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +6
20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +6 Mighty Rage, Imbue element 7d6

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str).

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Elemental Rager.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Elemental Rager is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, and shields (except tower shields).
Fast Movement (Ex): A Elemental Rager’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the Elemental Rager’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.
Elemental rage (Su)
The Elemental Rager’s source of internal power grants him the ability to elemental rage.
At 1st level and every 3 levels after, an Elemental Rager picks 1 of the 4 element types ( Acid=Earth, Cold=Water, Fire=Fire, shock=Air). The Elemental Rager gains damage reduction 5 when it comes to the chosen elements. When the Elemental Rager is raging he is immune to chosen elements. An Elemental Rager gains the ability to cast spells of the chosen elements and when she is raging she deals double spell damage
At 1st level, a Elemental Rager can elemental rage for a number of rounds per day equal to 9 + his Constitution modifier. At each level after 1st, he can elemental rage for 2 additional rounds per day. Temporary increases to Constitution (such as those gained from Elemental Raging or spells like bear’s endurance) don’t increase the total number of rounds that an Elemental Rager can elemental rage per day. The total number of rounds of elemental rage per day is renewed after resting for 8 hours, although these hours need not be consecutive.
A Elemental Rager can enter a elemental rage as a free action. While in a elemental rage, a Elemental Rager gains a +4 morale bonus to his Strength and Constitution, as well as a +2 morale bonus on Will saves. In addition, he takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase to Constitution grants the Elemental Rager 2 hit points per Hit Die, but these disappear when the elemental rage ends and are not lost first like temporary hit points. While Elemental Raging, a Elemental Rager cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.
A Elemental Rager can end his elemental rage as a free action. When the elemental rage ends, he’s fatigued for a number of rounds equal to twice the number of rounds spent in the elemental rage. A Elemental Rager cannot enter a new elemental rage while fatigued or exhausted, but can otherwise enter elemental rage multiple times during a single encounter or combat. If a Elemental Rager falls unconscious, his elemental rage immediately ends, placing him in peril of death, and releases a radius burst of 2d6 of each element she has chosen, at level 5,10,15,20 the dice amount is increased by one for each elements
Elemental rage counts as the Barbarian’s rage class feature for the purpose of feat prerequisites, feat abilities, magic item abilities, and spell effects.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a Elemental Rager retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a Elemental Rager already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.
Imbue element (Su): At 2nd level and every 3 levels after, a Elemental Rager gains the ability to charge her weapons with elemental powers she has chosen and can mix and match them as she pleases for 3 rounds. This ability can be used 4 times/level per day
Elemental Spellcaster(Su): At 3th level, the Elemental Rager gains the ability to cast spells even while Elemental Raging. He can also cast these spells defensively and can make concentration checks for these spells while Elemental Raging. While Elemental Raging, he can cast and concentrate on only his Elemental Rager spells (see below); spells from other classes cannot be cast during this state.
Trap Sense (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a Elemental Rager gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise by +1 every three Elemental Rager levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level and higher, a Elemental Rager can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the Elemental Rager by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has Elemental Rager levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.
Greater Rage (Ex): At 11th level, a Elemental Rager’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at –2.
Indomitable Will (Ex): While in a rage, a Elemental Rager of 14th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves he also receives during his rage.
Tireless Rage (Ex): At 17th level and higher, a Elemental Rager no longer becomes fatigued at the end of his rage.
Mighty Rage (Ex): At 20th level, a Elemental Rager’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +8, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4. The penalty to AC remains at –2.

Ex-Elemental Ragers
A Elemental Rager who becomes lawful loses the ability to rage and cannot gain more levels as a Elemental Rager. He retains all the other benefits of the class (damage reduction, fast movement, trap sense, and uncanny dodge).
Spell casting
Beginning at 1st level, a Elemental Rager gains the ability to use the elemental blood in her vains to cast a small number of arcane spells drawn from the Elemental Rager spell list. To learn or cast a spell, a Elemental Rager must have a Constitution score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. He can cast spells he knows without preparing them ahead of time. The saving throw DC against a Elemental Rager’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Elemental Rager’s Constitution modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a Elemental Rager can cast only a certain number of spells of each level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on the table below. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Constitution score. The Elemental Rager does not need to prepare these spells in advance; he can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he hasn’t yet used up his allotment of spells per day for the spell’s level.
Spells per Day Spells Knows
Level 0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Level 0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
1st 3 1 — — — 1st 1 1 — — —
2nd 4 1 — — — 2nd 2 1 — — —
3rd 4 2 — — — 3rd 3 1 — — —
4th 4 2 1 — — 4th 4 2 1 — —
5th 5 2 1 — — 5th 4 3 1 — —
6th 5 3 2 1 — 6th 4 4 1 1 —
7th 5 3 2 1 — 7th 5 4 2 1 —
8th 5 3 2 2 1 8th 5 4 3 1 1
9th 5 4 3 2 1 9th 5 5 4 1 1
10th 6 4 3 2 2 10th 6 5 4 2 1
11th 6 4 3 3 2 11th 6 5 4 3 1
12th 6 5 4 3 2 12th 6 6 5 4 1
13th 6 5 4 3 3 13th 6 6 5 4 2
14th 6 5 4 4 3 14th 6 6 5 4 3
15th 6 5 5 4 3 15th 6 6 6 5 4
16th 6 6 5 4 4 16th 6 6 6 5 4
17th 6 6 5 5 4 17th 6 6 6 5 4
18th 7 6 5 5 4 18th 6 6 6 6 5
19th 7 6 6 5 5 19th 6 6 6 6 5
20th 7 6 6 6 6 20th 6 6 6 6 5

JoshuaZ
2018-05-14, 10:54 PM
Where is this from? Do you have the original link to where you got it?

Also, why do you want to use this class? What are your specific goals in mind?

LordDeath666
2018-05-14, 11:00 PM
I don't have the link. I printed it out and moved on. The link isn't on the paper.

My main goal is to be close meele and just palm my enemy's face with a cone of acid type of deal

aimlessPolymath
2018-05-14, 11:26 PM
Let's see.

Spells per day are abnormally high for a 4-level spell list.

The spell list is never actually described, so I can't evaluate it; double damage while raging seems like a bit much.

Imbued Strike has a massive number of uses, to the point where it would probably be better to rewrite how it works.

This feels like a barbarian who gets spellcasting in addition to what it does normally, and I'm not clear on what it gives up to get that.

LordDeath666
2018-05-14, 11:53 PM
The spell list is any spell related to the chosen element. And it also says hit die is d10

JoshuaZ
2018-05-15, 08:38 AM
I don't have the link. I printed it out and moved on. The link isn't on the paper.

My main goal is to be close meele and just palm my enemy's face with a cone of acid type of deal

In general, it is a good idea to keep track of where things come from so you know who to credit for, and so you can if you use it in a campaign let them know how functional it is or is not. It is also helpful because one may turn out not to have everything you need to understand the class; in this case we don't have the spell list for example.

If you are looking for both melee and spellcasting together, there are a lot of other well done options for that. If 3.5 is allowed the duskblade or hexblade works well. If Pathfinder is in use the Magus works well for that (and any is easy to move to the other system with tiny changes). That may be a better option than trying to have people try to balance a class we've never seen before without complete access to what the class is and on short notice. Also, some people are uncomfortable modifying other's homebrew without permission.

nikkoli
2018-05-15, 09:16 AM
Pathfinder also has the bloodrager which is a barbarian with 4th level casting and it can use its spells in a rage.

JoshuaZ
2018-05-15, 10:54 AM
Pathfinder also has the bloodrager which is a barbarian with 4th level casting and it can use its spells in a rage.

That's a good point. Probably closer to what they are looking for.