PDA

View Full Version : Snooze button: Can you turn off a permanent alarm spell?

Venger
2018-05-15, 03:39 AM
We all know how you trigger an alarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alarm.htm) spell.

The rules are silent on how to turn it off once it's been triggered. If you just set it instead of setting a watch for a night, whatever, no one cares. The monster woke you up and you have to fight it, so you'll just go back to bed a few hundred feet away from it. Fine.

But what if you permanency the spell to project your cookie jar?

If you pick mental, it seems like you're covered, since you only hear a single mental ping (presumably per intrusion, but if not, that carries its own problems) let's be charitable and assume if thief A tries to take a cookie, you're alerted, and once you've killed him and thief B tries to take one tomorrow, you're alerted again and your alarm isn't silent.

If you pick audible, the spell text says once someone triggers the alarm, the bell just rings forever. That makes this spell kind of useless for actually using as an alarm on a longterm basis.

Is there any way to build a reset into a permanent alarm spell?

(Yes I know I should just use skullwatch, but this is strictly hypothetical. Can we make alarm work like it's supposed to?)

EDIT: For clarification, thief A sets off your permanent alarm and triggers the bell. He is dealt with. Is there a way to turn off the bell until thief B comes along later without dismissing the spell?

ryu
2018-05-15, 03:50 AM
You.... could just dismiss the spell?

Venger
2018-05-15, 04:12 AM
You.... could just dismiss the spell?

I'm asking about the permanent version. Paying xp sucks, so I'm assuming you want to avoid doing it.

ryu
2018-05-15, 04:22 AM
I'm asking about the permanent version. Paying xp sucks, so I'm assuming you want to avoid doing it.

Okay how about resetting alarm trap? Traps that cast spells are a thing, this is a level one spell, and there can be none of that thematically inappropriate for a trap nonsense.

Jack_Simth
2018-05-15, 06:47 AM
If you pick audible, the spell text says once someone triggers the alarm, the bell just rings forever.It doesn't ring forever. It doesn't even ring until the spell expires. It rings for one round.

Per the Alarm Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alarm.htm):
Alarm
Abjuration
Level: Brd 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on a point in space
Duration: 2 hours/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Alarm sounds a mental or audible alarm each time a creature of Tiny or larger size enters the warded area or touches it. A creature that speaks the password (determined by you at the time of casting) does not set off the alarm. You decide at the time of casting whether the alarm will be mental or audible.

Mental Alarm
A mental alarm alerts you (and only you) so long as you remain within 1 mile of the warded area. You note a single mental “ping” that awakens you from normal sleep but does not otherwise disturb concentration. A silence spell has no effect on a mental alarm.

Audible Alarm
An audible alarm produces the sound of a hand bell, and anyone within 60 feet of the warded area can hear it clearly. Reduce the distance by 10 feet for each interposing closed door and by 20 feet for each substantial interposing wall.

In quiet conditions, the ringing can be heard faintly as far as 180 feet away. The sound lasts for 1 round. Creatures within a silence spell cannot hear the ringing.

Ethereal or astral creatures do not trigger the alarm.

Alarm can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Arcane Focus
A tiny bell and a piece of very fine silver wire (emphasis added)

Uncle Pine
2018-05-15, 08:44 AM
The sound lasts for 1 round, then Alarm goes silent and can be triggered again.

To answer the question in the title: Dispel Magic.