PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Hexblade Character Spell/Race Selection

Asher5002
2018-05-15, 08:44 AM
I'm thinking about making a Hexblade warlock. Any reccomendations on spells or race? I've never played a warlock before but this seems really cool.

miinstrel
2018-05-15, 09:11 AM
You should try one of the Warlock handbooks. plenty of them floating around. This one's nice (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?485736-Selling-your-Soul-at-a-Premium-The-Warlock-s-Guide-to-Power).

MephitBlue
2018-05-15, 09:25 AM
hexblades are cool, I am playing a Rogue / Hexblade right now in a game.

Charisma is your primary stat so any race that gives you a racial bonus to Charisma is a good race. Half Elf and Tiefling are classic Warlock choices from the PHB and Assimar from Volo's is really good as well. Human Variant is another good choice. While you only get a +1 to two stats, the feat at level 1 can really help you out. Some feats to think about are Warcaster for the ability to cast while fighting and Great Weapons Master for extra damage. If you want to add more utility to your character, then look at things like Ritual Caster, magic Initiate, Inspiring Leader, or healer.

I'm actually playing a Tabaxi, but the +2 to dex helps my rogue skills and I really just wanted to play a Tabaxi. If there is a race you really want to play, like you love the idea of a tiny Gnome or Halfling wielding a great battle axe, go for it. Concept trumps racial bonuses in my opinion.

As for spells, Eldritch blast is a go to cantrip for ranged attacks and I'd take Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade for extra melee damage (Until you hit level 5 and can get two attacks)

For first level spells I like Armor of Agathys for the temp hit points and damage to someone who lands a melee hit. The other classic Warlock spell is Hex, especially at low levels. Adding more damage to your attacks is always good. While Shield is a great spell, only having two spell slots makes it less desirable for a Warlock. I would skip taking this spell.

At 3rd level, when you get access to 2nd level spells, I'd look at Mirror Image to make you harder to hit. The Darkness Devil Sight combo is a classic spell invocation combo as well. If you act as a scout for the party, Invisibility is another nice one.

Have fun creating your Hexblade.

Speely
2018-05-15, 10:46 AM
My thoughts:

Hexblades are pretty SAD, so as long as you pump Cha and have at least 14 Dex you are golden. Almost any race can work well. Half-elf is particularly amazing because of the great ability bonuses and access to the Elven Accuracy feat . I really like the standard half-elf as opposed to variants because the skill proficiencies help round out a Hexblade imo. More out-of-combat usefulness is nice for an otherwise damage-focused subclass, and ~6 skill proficiencies isn't bad at all.

Drow half-elf variant is good for darkness/devil's sight cheese, but I don't use that tactic personally. Lots of folks will suggest it, though. It's effective but can be unfriendly to the party. Shadows of Moil is a better spell for that imo, though you get it later (I suggest taking it.)

Another solid choice is variant human for the extra feat, but I like elves/half-elves because Hexblades really shine with Elven Accuracy in a unique way (tri-vantage with a 2-hander? Yes please. Feels good.) Mountain Dwarves are tankier out the gate, as pure hexblades tend to be a squishier than "real" warriors. More ASI to hit 20 Cha, though, which you are prolly gonna want.

Agonizing Blast, Thirsting Blade, Lifedrinker, Eldritch Smite, and Improved Pact Weapon are extremely useful Invocations. I would also suggest either Repelling Blast or Grasp of Hadar for very economical battlefield control. Devil's Sight is great, and a must-have for races without Darkvision or who use Darkness.

Take Hex. Wonderful spell.

Having said all that, do explore those guides referenced earlier, but don't sweat race too much. Hexblades are pretty much foolproof, and they feel very gish. I would def suggest those Invocations, though. They help make up for our small amount of spell slots by passively making us badasses.

Speaking of which, save some slots for Eldritch Smite usage when you can. I save them for critical hits in tough fights, mostly. Easy to get with Elven Accuracy, esp if Hexblade's curse is up. It's... pretty devastating.