PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How to not die: help optimizing IotSV+Incantatrix

Jarmen4u
2018-05-15, 11:02 AM
If you didn't turn and run upon seeing the title, I welcome you to my thread. I am in a game that is extremely high-mortality, and often the power level of characters has little effect on their survivability.

I'm talking, PC throws rock into room full of runes, everyone within 100 ft takes 3500 damage, reflex half.

So I'm looking to break out the big guns, via some persisted veils. What I want to figure out is how to build this, and also what other defensive buffs are worth persisting to maximize survivability?

The character will start around level 13, and reach epic pretty fast. Any ideas?

Uncle Pine
2018-05-15, 11:07 AM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?280365-Priya-the-Prismatic-Priestess-Buffs-Across-the-Spectrum) could be a nice, detailed starting point. You can decide whether to build from it or tone it down.

Jarmen4u
2018-05-15, 06:52 PM
Jeez, that's one hell of a resource. My DM is super old school so I doubt he's going to let me abuse miracle like that though. I'll definitely use that as a reference though. Any other ideas?

Jarmen4u
2018-05-17, 08:46 PM
bumping for more thoughts

Mike Miller
2018-05-17, 08:55 PM
There is an incantatrix guide that is helpful too. The first thing I thought of was also the prismatic princess though. I am in my phone at the moment, but if you search for incantatrix handbook you should find more resources.

(Also, grammar Nazi time: the title should be "How not to die...")

Jarmen4u
2018-05-23, 12:07 AM
Thanks for all the resources, guys. I've been poring over these, and I like what I see. Are there any underused, personal favorite persistable spells that don't make it onto many lists? Obviously, I'd be persisting the veils. I ask just because I know you guys have your hidden gems that most people aren't aware of. I've picked up a trick or two from similar threads, and hope to try my luck here.

Tvtyrant
2018-05-23, 03:58 AM
Thanks for all the resources, guys. I've been poring over these, and I like what I see. Are there any underused, personal favorite persistable spells that don't make it onto many lists? Obviously, I'd be persisting the veils. I ask just because I know you guys have your hidden gems that most people aren't aware of. I've picked up a trick or two from similar threads, and hope to try my luck here.

Undermaster. Persisting Undermaster lets you reshape the world around you on a whim, gives you a standard action at-will kill spell and is overall amazing.

Nifft
2018-05-23, 04:54 AM
(Also, grammar Nazi time: the title should be "How not to die...")

"How not to die..." -> advice about specific deaths to avoid.
"How not to dress" -> advice about specific fashion to avoid.

"How to not die..." -> advice on avoiding death altogether.
"How to not dress" -> advice on avoiding dressing altogether.

Both are meaningful, but the two meanings aren't identical, and the one you suggest is a poor fit for the thread.

Glorious Mastery of the Elements (Dragon Magic) when persisted gives you the equivalent of a [Reserve] feat for several elements.

Unfettered Heroism (Races of Eberron) gives you a free Action Point every turn, which might be useful if those exist in your game's setting.

Alter Self (SRD) is perhaps too obvious, but it's really good at almost any level.

Shapechange (SRD) replaces alter self when it becomes available.

Mike Miller
2018-05-23, 06:12 AM
"How not to die..." -> advice about specific deaths to avoid.
"How not to dress" -> advice about specific fashion to avoid.

"How to not die..." -> advice on avoiding death altogether.
"How to not dress" -> advice on avoiding dressing altogether.

Both are meaningful, but the two meanings aren't identical, and the one you suggest is a poor fit for the thread.

Touche.

I remember learning that you can't break up the infinitive with "not." Upon further research, apparently the split infinitive is acceptable. It has been too long since high school English, I suppose.

I assume all the "Heart of..." spells are on those persisting lists?

Nifft
2018-05-23, 06:21 AM
I assume all the "Heart of..." spells are on those persisting lists?

They last an hour per level and some of them are good specifically because you can discharge the spell to get another spell (like stoneskin without the 100 gp, or freedom of movement without being a divine caster).

Extend isn't necessarily a bad idea for the hour-per-level part, but Persist would be a waste, and might not be applicable.

Jarmen4u
2018-05-23, 10:30 AM
They last an hour per level and some of them are good specifically because you can discharge the spell to get another spell (like stoneskin without the 100 gp, or freedom of movement without being a divine caster).

Extend isn't necessarily a bad idea for the hour-per-level part, but Persist would be a waste, and might not be applicable.

That's actually a good point. I hadn't thought about spells that already have long-term durations. I'm planning this to go epic pretty fast, so having 40+ hours per cast with Extend should be just fine for the Heart spells.

Hiro Quester
2018-05-23, 01:05 PM
A few years back I was playing a bard/sublime chord that was very paranoid. I went about this from the opposite direction, by trying to identify possible vulnerabilities, and blocking or preparing for them as much as I could.

A bit of abuse of persistent spells using bardic music to power them (but not to the cheesy level of persisting 9th level spells). A well-crafted contingent spell can also go a long way.

This thread: "How can they nerf me? Let me count the ways.... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?358399-How-can-they-nerf-me-Let-me-count-the-ways)" detailed a lot of the possible threats and suggestions for how to avoid or block them.

After this thread, my character realized the flexibility and power of this combination of three things:
-a contingent spell that triggered Revivify if I drop below -9hp or am dead and my body is intact enough that if healed would support life
-a scroll of Instant Refuge (SC) that teleports you to a safe place if any of up to six conditions happen
-a standing deal (prepaid) with a temple to serve as that safe place, and to immediately heal, restore, or resurrect me if I or my remains arrive there. (They also hold a scroll of greater teleport, to enable me to return to the fight after being patched up.)

The six conditions I set for the Instant Refuge:

* I am turned to an inanimate object (e.g. stone, ice)
* My body is fatally not intact (e.g. decapitated, disintegrated, dismembered)
* My contingent Revivify spells goes off
* I am unable to control my body (paralyzed, controlled, charmed, etc)
* I am dead
* I utter or think the words “I want to go to my happy place, now”.

Jarmen4u
2018-05-23, 05:05 PM
A few years back I was playing a bard/sublime chord that was very paranoid. I went about this from the opposite direction, by trying to identify possible vulnerabilities, and blocking or preparing for them as much as I could.

A bit of abuse of persistent spells using bardic music to power them (but not to the cheesy level of persisting 9th level spells). A well-crafted contingent spell can also go a long way.

This thread: "How can they nerf me? Let me count the ways.... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?358399-How-can-they-nerf-me-Let-me-count-the-ways)" detailed a lot of the possible threats and suggestions for how to avoid or block them.

After this thread, my character realized the flexibility and power of this combination of three things:
-a contingent spell that triggered Revivify if I drop below -9hp or am dead and my body is intact enough that if healed would support life
-a scroll of Instant Refuge (SC) that teleports you to a safe place if any of up to six conditions happen
-a standing deal (prepaid) with a temple to serve as that safe place, and to immediately heal, restore, or resurrect me if I or my remains arrive there. (They also hold a scroll of greater teleport, to enable me to return to the fight after being patched up.)

The six conditions I set for the Instant Refuge:

* I am turned to an inanimate object (e.g. stone, ice)
* My body is fatally not intact (e.g. decapitated, disintegrated, dismembered)
* My contingent Revivify spells goes off
* I am unable to control my body (paralyzed, controlled, charmed, etc)
* I am dead
* I utter or think the words “I want to go to my happy place, now”.

I'm probably going to steal everything here. Honestly as much as I've played D&D, I've never messed with contingencies at ALL. Will I need the feat "craft contingent spell" for this, or will knowing the spell be enough?

Tbh, I should probably also look into what kinds of things I should use Contingency for.

Hiro Quester
2018-05-23, 08:33 PM
I got access to contingency through a Greater Shadow evocation (it's a 6th level evocation spell in PH).

That and the instant refuge spell (9th level, but lasts until used) were all the contingencies I needed. I had other uses for feats.

Rebel7284
2018-05-24, 02:15 AM
Craft Contingent Spell is one of the best ways to be prepared for anything. Any time a negative things happens, you can have an appropriate response without spending an action. Then you can have a plan B and plan C without spending actions as well AND share some of those with your party.
A smart opponent can work around a contingency. It's much harder to work around layered contingencies.