PDA

View Full Version : First session report on my non-disbanded group's new campaign...

samcifer
2018-05-15, 12:53 PM
So we ended up with an extra player and the following group and started at lv. 9:

I played a feral winged tiefling evocation wizard after doing my first lv. as a draconic sorc for the con save and built-in mage armor. The dm reluctantly allowed me to use the wings, but said openly that hel'll do everything he can to make it as hard for me to fly as possible. (remember, the new dm was a rather troublesome player in the last campaign) :(

My fiancé plays a variant human conjuration wizard skill monkey (thanks to the skills feat), our former druid player is playing an oathbreaker paladin (didn't catch his race), the former dm is playing a war cleric (again not sure of race), the new player is playing a Halfling rogue (not sure which archetype, but he's sticking to the phb only for stuff), and the troublemaker player from last campaign is playing a wood elf rogue (not sure which archetype)/gloomstalker ranger.

I'm mostly using half-damage on save AoE spells and the safe spots for allies is very enjoyable, plus the minimizing of die rolls for me reduces stress from my bad luck on die rolls (seriously, my stat rolls were terrible the first time so I let my finace' roll for a redo and the best he got me was a 15 and 2 14s, so I went 15 INT and 14 DEX and CON, making the 9 - the lowest roll - my CHA score, then used the feral tiefling to have me start with 16 each for INT and DEX, then used both my ASIs to max out INT, rather than take a feat as I'd hoped to be able to do.

So we're in a city and serve as inquisitors, government-sanctioned and trained troubleshooters with our own agency and 4 missions per day we can choose to do in any order with completed ones being replaced by new ones.

The ones we get are: Crab infestation at the docks, Bat infesatation in the second tallest tower in the city, guard duty for 4 low-level executives, and trade negotiations between two rival factions. We get to choose which ones we do and when.

First up, which much consensus, was the crabs infesting the docks, so we went there to find giant crabs swarming over two ships as it was their mating season and they were gathered over the king and queen. While debating what to do, a player tries to steal some cattle to use to lure the crabs away from the ships, we get accused of stealing, pay the npc for them, then after killing two and throwing the bodies into the water, the new player throws some bearings to lure crabs away and triggers a battle for all of us. As my first die-roll of the campaign, I somehow manage to get a crit for initiative. I cast Dragon's Breath on my owl familiar, but we are attacked instantly and both get hit, killing my owl before he can get in a single hit.

The crabs go down easily, then the king and queen crabs arrive as bosses and I keep zapping them in the water with lightning for double damage, but the queen keeps knocking me prone with a water-gun kind of attack and I get knocked down to a third of my total hp, but our cleric healed me up most of the way back to full. The melee players take out the king and I get the kill-shot on the queen and we complete the quest with no property damage.

Next day I revive my owl familiar, then we decided, after some debate, to take the bat-extermination job. I try sending my owl up high to try to locate the tower where the bats are, but the dm immediately sicks a hawk on the owl, who barely evades it and the dm rules the owl comes back to me, too scared to do any more.

On the way there, our conj wizard did a check and learned that bats are vulnerable to fire and use poison, so our cleric decided to stop and pray in the middle of the street to protect us all from poison. This drew a crowd who tossed him coins of appreciation and a man offered him a leg of lamb. Seeing hungry children, he offered them to food... And the childs started chocking on the poisoned meat. He saved two of the six, but the other two died while the ranger/rogue took off after the poisoner and fell off a low roof, twisting his ankle. As for the poisoner, he commits suicide with fake teeth filled with a corrosive poison, so there's no body to question and all we know based on a trinket he had was that he was a member if a magic-less humans only group of fanatic terrorists trying to rid the city of all but their kind. (According to the history of this isolated dimension we exist in, only non-magical humans existed until a few centuries ago and now their kind are the minority).

Deciding to put the quest against the bats on hold to rest. The cleric, feeling guilty over the deaths of the children, entered the morgue without authorization and when he found the kids' bodies, the mortician entered... Eating a human foot. The cleric, convinced the mortician was an evil cannibal and cast Command... Setting off a series of magical alarms that called in the city swat team on him to protect the legally-sanctioned werewolf mortician who was eating the foot that was granted to him as a monthly bonus as part of his pay for his services to the city from magical assault by our cleric.

meanwhile, the troublesome player who twisted his ankle, wandered the streets in search of a healing and after two incounters with shall we call them 'evening people' who mis-understood what he meant by 'healing', and the male one he met second took him to apothacary where he argued over the cost of treatment (the player is notoriously stingy on his gold spending with his former character as well), and he says. "I'm not paying that much. So I'm keeping my gold-" "You already paid him," the dm retorted. "So I take back my gold-" the player corrects. "So you're stealing from him?" the dm asks.

In short, argument turns to a scuffle and the 'hero' ends up shooting the apothacary in the throat with an arrow, killing him, then kills his screaming female assistant to silence her. The dm announces that the player's allignment is now changed from chaotic good to chaotic neutral.

Meanwhile, the rest of us are at a bar for the evening, the newbie manages to convince the bartender to give us something special. I get drunk and the dm (the former second troublesome player) rps that I cruch my owl to death by accident when I hug him and announces that he believes he's going to enjoy killing my familiar every chance he gets, making me hesitant to ever try using him again for anything. :(

As for the special drink, all the next day we get to add +5 to every d20 roll that day until our next long rest. Then we go to the morgue to retreive our cleric and head home for the night, the rogue/ranger meeting us there feeling healed and not caught commiting murder.

The next day I avoid re-summoning my owl because I don't see the point to having him anymore :(

We go back to the bat-killing quest and after searching, find the tower, enter, see it's safe and the cleric does his protection from poison where it's safe and we won't be spotted. Now protected, we climb the stares to the bats. I stay in the stairwell and keep hurling fireballs while the melee guys fight the bats, save for the newbie, who after a botch, becomes convinced that the gargoyle (who we know from lore is posing as one of several statues around the room) can only be revealed by kissing every statue on the lips until he finds it.

I get the final hit on the last of the bats and, convinced that the gargoyle, being made of stone, would be vulnerable to Shatter, target one of the two statues the dm tells us are most likely a gargoyle. I hit one with Shatter, do minimal damage, and BOTh statue gargoyles awake and are seconds from attacking us before we mnage to convince them that we are not enemies and are there to help protect their sanctuary.

We head home to end the session without event. The xp we gained puts us already a third of the way towards our next level.

Dragons_Ire
2018-05-15, 01:36 PM
Eesh. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had a familiar and the DM constantly killed it for the lolz. Also, that's a pretty odd decision about the gargoyles - a botch (nat. 1, I'm assuming) is 5% of the time - so 5% of the time a character is convinced of something so illogical that he/she seems insane (I'd say kissing statues is less than sane :P)

I can relate about the dice. For my first character I rolled 3 13s, an 11, an 8, and a 7. On 4d6 drop the lowest :smallsigh:

Anyway, good luck, hopefully the DM will improve as he practices!

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-15, 02:36 PM
The thing with the DM and your Familiar is rather unfair to you, as Wizards rely heavily on their Familiars to help them in combat. Not to mention that they are reliable Scouts.

If you’re upset about the DM’s ruling on Familiar, I recommend you try talking to him out of the game, and see why he is against them perhaps, and perhaps what he “expects” of the party. Not trying to also nag about this, but, did you perhaps have a Session 0 with your party? It seems like the type of group that may need such a thing, and it could be beneficial to see what everybody wants and what the DM expects and such.

samcifer
2018-05-15, 02:41 PM
Eesh. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had a familiar and the DM constantly killed it for the lolz. Also, that's a pretty odd decision about the gargoyles - a botch (nat. 1, I'm assuming) is 5% of the time - so 5% of the time a character is convinced of something so illogical that he/she seems insane (I'd say kissing statues is less than sane :P)

I can relate about the dice. For my first character I rolled 3 13s, an 11, an 8, and a 7. On 4d6 drop the lowest :smallsigh:

Anyway, good luck, hopefully the DM will improve as he practices!

It was worse for me. We rolled 5d6, drop the lowest two. :(

samcifer
2018-05-15, 02:45 PM
The thing with the DM and your Familiar is rather unfair to you, as Wizards rely heavily on their Familiars to help them in combat. Not to mention that they are reliable Scouts.

If you’re upset about the DM’s ruling on Familiar, I recommend you try talking to him out of the game, and see why he is against them perhaps, and perhaps what he “expects” of the party. Not trying to also nag about this, but, did you perhaps have a Session 0 with your party? It seems like the type of group that may need such a thing, and it could be beneficial to see what everybody wants and what the DM expects and such.

We did character creation then went right into the campaign, the dm present for all of character creation and even letting me buy two extra spells to start with at Lv. 9 by spending some of the 9k gold we each had to start with. He also gave us options for master craft weapons with a +1/2/3 to hit OR to damage, but not both, the costs being 1k/3k/6k gold respectively for each and we could pay 6k for a +2 weapon for accuracy as well as to damage, which the new player took for his weapons.

Vogie
2018-05-15, 02:50 PM

OR, take a single level in Raven queen Warlock to get a second faux-miliar, which will come back every short or long rest, without ritual or cost.

samcifer
2018-05-15, 02:55 PM
OR, take a single level in Raven queen Warlock to get a second faux-miliar, which will come back every short or long rest, without ritual or cost.

The issue is that it's a useless play mechanic for me because the dm has made it clear he intends to kill it every single chance he gets and it will never get any successful uses. :(

Contrast
2018-05-15, 02:58 PM
The dm reluctantly allowed me to use the wings, but said openly that hel'll do everything he can to make it as hard for me to fly as possible.

I somehow manage to get a crit for initiative. I cast Dragon's Breath on my owl familiar, but we are attacked instantly and both get hit, killing my owl before he can get in a single hit.

I try sending my owl up high to try to locate the tower where the bats are, but the dm immediately sicks a hawk on the owl, who barely evades it and the dm rules the owl comes back to me, too scared to do any more.

On the way there, our conj wizard did a check and learned that bats are vulnerable to fire and use poison, so our cleric decided to stop and pray in the middle of the street to protect us all from poison. This drew a crowd who tossed him coins of appreciation and a man offered him a leg of lamb. Seeing hungry children, he offered them to food... And the childs started chocking on the poisoned meat.

The cleric, feeling guilty over the deaths of the children, entered the morgue without authorization and when he found the kids' bodies, the mortician entered... Eating a human foot. The cleric, convinced the mortician was an evil cannibal and cast Command... Setting off a series of magical alarms that called in the city swat team on him to protect the legally-sanctioned werewolf mortician who was eating the foot that was granted to him as a monthly bonus as part of his pay for his services to the city from magical assault by our cleric.

meanwhile, the troublesome player who twisted his ankle, wandered the streets in search of a healing and after two incounters with shall we call them 'evening people' who mis-understood what he meant by 'healing', and the male one he met second took him to apothacary where he argued over the cost of treatment (the player is notoriously stingy on his gold spending with his former character as well), and he says. "I'm not paying that much. So I'm keeping my gold-" "You already paid him," the dm retorted. "So I take back my gold-" the player corrects. "So you're stealing from him?" the dm asks.

In short, argument turns to a scuffle and the 'hero' ends up shooting the apothacary in the throat with an arrow, killing him, then kills his screaming female assistant to silence her. The dm announces that the player's allignment is now changed from chaotic good to chaotic neutral.

Meanwhile, the rest of us are at a bar for the evening, the newbie manages to convince the bartender to give us something special. I get drunk and the dm (the former second troublesome player) rps that I cruch my owl to death by accident when I hug him and announces that he believes he's going to enjoy killing my familiar every chance he gets, making me hesitant to ever try using him again for anything. :(

save for the newbie, who after a botch, becomes convinced that the gargoyle (who we know from lore is posing as one of several statues around the room) can only be revealed by kissing every statue on the lips until he finds it.

Wow. Those are some pretty red flags you're flying there :smalltongue:

You haven't said what you're hoping to get out of the thread so my question to you is - are you having fun?

sophontteks
2018-05-15, 03:02 PM
It would be so much more simple if you start over with a new DM at level 1 in a new campaign. This start is asking for trouble IMO.

samcifer
2018-05-15, 03:09 PM
It would be so much more simple if you start over with a new DM at level 1 in a new campaign. This start is asking for trouble IMO.

I can't find any other groups in my area. It's them or nothing. :(

I also have a full-time job with fixed days and hours, so I have no flexibility in meeting times. As it is the new group meets Friday nights, which is already bad for me as by the time I get home from work, it's time to leave for the sessions and most of the labor-intensive work in my job occurs during the final third of my work day. My fiancé' likes it as his own job has little in the way of physical exertion.

samcifer
2018-05-15, 03:12 PM
Wow. Those are some pretty red flags you're flying there :smalltongue:

You haven't said what you're hoping to get out of the thread so my question to you is - are you having fun?

Mostly, yeah. I just wish I could make use of my familiar and not be too afraid to use my wings.

sophontteks
2018-05-15, 03:12 PM
No I mean that he is the new DM, sorry. Its asking for trouble jumping in at level 9 with a new dm. All the problems with his rulings come out all at once. If you started a new campaign as level 1 you'd all be able to grow and adapt to each other.

WOTC_GM
2018-05-15, 03:15 PM

I also have a full-time job with fixed days and hours, so I have no flexibility in meeting times. As it is the new group meets Friday nights, which is already bad for me as by the time I get home from work, it's time to leave for the sessions and most of the labor-intensive work in my job occurs during the final third of my work day. My fiancé' likes it as his own job has little in the way of physical exertion.

Where exactly are you located? Have you tried looking for a new group on reddit/local forums?

What about playing online via Roll20 or something similar?

This DM does not sound like someone worth playing with.

samcifer
2018-05-15, 03:25 PM
No I mean that he is the new DM, sorry. Its asking for trouble jumping in at level 9 with a new dm. All the problems with his rulings come out all at once. If you started a new campaign as level 1 you'd all be able to grow and adapt to each other.

He was a player in the former campaign, but the former dm (now a player) lost his nerve after his homebrewed campaign got derailed early on by by the deaths of a few important npcs and said he didn't want to dm for awhile. We were told in advance that the new dm was a difficult person to have as a dm. I just wish he didn't have it out for my owl. As for the kissing garyoles, yeah, that's his brand of humor and the player had no issue with it.

samcifer
2018-05-15, 03:26 PM
Where exactly are you located? Have you tried looking for a new group on reddit/local forums?

What about playing online via Roll20 or something similar?

This DM does not sound like someone worth playing with.

Ironically I'm in a major metro area, but people here are very 'clique-ish' and meeting people is very difficult to do as most people keep to themselves or their own small social groups. Most folks here are very untrusting of strangers, sad to say.

War_lord
2018-05-15, 03:31 PM

You should never, ever be made feel like that. Have you tried online? I have a full schedule of Savage Worlds DMing. But I could run a simple 5e game if the times match up.

samcifer
2018-05-15, 03:36 PM
You should never, ever be made feel like that. Have you tried online? I have a full schedule of Savage Worlds DMing. But I could run a simple 5e game if the times match up.

I put a post in a facebook forum and a dm was nice enough to be the one person who reached out to me. I was open to playing any version of D&D or pathfinder and they were just about to start a 5e campaign, so I guess I got lucky on finding a group willing to meet up on Saturdays and was about to begin as well as the dm being willing to meet and include new people.

War_lord
2018-05-15, 03:55 PM
That's awesome! Getting away from ******* DM is the right thing, a personality like that is unlikely to improve.