PDA

View Full Version : Incarnate weapon of choice (except Incarnum Weapon)

noce
2018-05-15, 01:32 PM
I'm thinking about an evil incarnate with Necrocarnum Weapon.
Since Necrocarnum Weapon increases the damage of a single weapon, what is the best weapon to put to good use this soulmeld?

I thought about three options: double weapons, halberd with spinning halberd feat, eagle's claw with eagle's fury feat.

Double Weapons require a decent amount of DEX. The fact that Incarnates are proficient with quarterstaff is a good thing, they can also UMD a Greater Mighty Wallop here and there.

To use Spinning Halberd, a pure Incarnate would spend FOUR feats, so it's not really viable.

Eagle's Fury gives an extra attack with a single handed weapon and a good crit profile. This option requires two feats (proficiency and Fury), but there's no DEX requirement. Furthermore, the crit profile synergizes well both with the bonus to confirm critical hits and with the bound effect of Necrocarnum Weapon (temporary essentia on a crit). Finally, this weapon allows me to wield a non-animated shield to also bash with, possibly going into Ironsoul Forgemaster, too.

Now, Eagle's Claw seems better on first glance than quarterstaff. Are there any other viable options?

daremetoidareyo
2018-05-15, 03:48 PM
I'm thinking about an evil incarnate with Necrocarnum Weapon.
Since Necrocarnum Weapon increases the damage of a single weapon, what is the best weapon to put to good use this soulmeld?

I thought about three options: double weapons, halberd with spinning halberd feat, eagle's claw with eagle's fury feat.

Double Weapons require a decent amount of DEX. The fact that Incarnates are proficient with quarterstaff is a good thing, they can also UMD a Greater Mighty Wallop here and there.

To use Spinning Halberd, a pure Incarnate would spend FOUR feats, so it's not really viable.

Eagle's Fury gives an extra attack with a single handed weapon and a good crit profile. This option requires two feats (proficiency and Fury), but there's no DEX requirement. Furthermore, the crit profile synergizes well both with the bonus to confirm critical hits and with the bound effect of Necrocarnum Weapon (temporary essentia on a crit). Finally, this weapon allows me to wield a non-animated shield to also bash with, possibly going into Ironsoul Forgemaster, too.

Now, Eagle's Claw seems better on first glance than quarterstaff. Are there any other viable options?

A xeph with xeph celerity might be the way to go. Throw in the astral vambrace soulmeld (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a) to get power attack and rock a two handed sword...

Prerequisite(s): Xeph

Benefit: As a swift action, you can expend one of your daily Burst uses to gain one extra attack at your highest base attack bonus for that round, instead of gaining an increase to your move speed.

I hope you can get flaws. A fighter dip can get you all martial weapons and a bonus feat for eagle claw, which is the best crit fishing weapon that isn't a kukri made out of kaorti resin.

1: extra xeph burst, Flaw: xeph celerity, Flaw: improved initiative
3: psycarnum infusion (burn psionic focus to fill an essentia receptacle)
6: death blow (standard action coup de grace) (carry around some animals that are bound helpless to set up your psycarnum infused necrocarnum weapon for a minute of spare essentia...this should help with your blood in the water shenanigans)

A dip into warblade is a good idea at level 11, you should take blood in the water (stackable +1 to hit and damage per critical hit), and bone crusher (fort save DC 13+str or all critical hits confirmation rolls are at +10).

Another idea is to use an elvencraft longbow, which is a simple melee weapon, but i don't think the benefit is extruded to the arrows.

noce
2018-05-15, 04:31 PM
A xeph with xeph celerity might be the way to go. Throw in the astral vambrace soulmeld to get power attack and rock a two handed sword...

Nice catch, though I was thinking about Lesser Maeluth, both for the evil flavour and for the Ironsoul Forgemaster entry (alignment restriction has been relaxed).

Zaq
2018-05-16, 12:41 AM
Harpoon, hands down. Just poach the Mauling Gauntlets off the Soulborn list with Shape Soulmeld, at which point your harpoon gives you some very good battlefield control. Invest some essentia and you’ll have a bigger bonus on STR checks than a Barbarian.

noce
2018-05-16, 03:23 AM
Harpoon, hands down. Just poach the Mauling Gauntlets off the Soulborn list with Shape Soulmeld, at which point your harpoon gives you some very good battlefield control. Invest some essentia and you’ll have a bigger bonus on STR checks than a Barbarian.

I didn't think about optimizing strength checks, maybe I should.

Currently I am thinking more on optimizing number of attacks (and damage).

Yogibear41
2018-05-17, 01:48 AM
Toss the Skillfull enchant from Complete arcane to up your bab from wizard level to cleric level, gets you a nice to hit bonus and a 3rd attack all for a +2 ability. (assuming you don't multi-class into a fighter or something to get you a +15 bab, or even a +11 for a 3rd attack)

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-17, 09:15 AM
Since incarnum is based on Con, how about a sand blaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444154-MM3-Sand-Blaster-Exotic-Weapon-Optimization)?

Also, if you add skillful, morphing, and sizing, and a good dose of aptitude, you can wield any weapon at any time, wield it with a reasonable amount of skill, and apply all of your weapons-base feats to it. Make it from a riverine raptor arrow, and it will cost way less than normal weapon, and it's nigh indestructible, as well. Metalline for overcoming material-based DR. It'll also have the returning quality, and deal additional damage on every hit, and will count as epic much sooner. A tooth of Leraje (Tome of Magic) for automatic +5 enhancement bonus for a good price that doesn't count against your weapon cost. A stacked weapon crystal (using the stacking magic item creation rules in the MIC) will get plenty of other inexpensive weapon qualities, as well.

Remember that the sand blaster stats are for a Large weapon. Medium and Small weapons and (especially) ammo will weigh considerably less.

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-17, 11:49 AM
There are few weapons more versatile and effective as the simple quarterstaff.

A weapon that is two handed, one handed, or light as desired. It can be wielded as a two handed weapon, a double weapon, or as a one handed weapon at will.

As a two handed weapon the light end is still wielded. Apply the defending and other passive enchantments to it.

As a simple weapon almost every class can use it.

Damage dice are secondary. Flat damage bonuses work the same for every two hander.

noce
2018-05-17, 12:26 PM
Since incarnum is based on Con, how about a sand blaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444154-MM3-Sand-Blaster-Exotic-Weapon-Optimization)?

Also, if you add skillful, morphing, and sizing, and a good dose of aptitude, you can wield any weapon at any time, wield it with a reasonable amount of skill, and apply all of your weapons-base feats to it. Make it from a riverine raptor arrow, and it will cost way less than normal weapon, and it's nigh indestructible, as well. Metalline for overcoming material-based DR. It'll also have the returning quality, and deal additional damage on every hit, and will count as epic much sooner. A tooth of Leraje (Tome of Magic) for automatic +5 enhancement bonus for a good price that doesn't count against your weapon cost. A stacked weapon crystal (using the stacking magic item creation rules in the MIC) will get plenty of other inexpensive weapon qualities, as well.

Remember that the sand blaster stats are for a Large weapon. Medium and Small weapons and (especially) ammo will weigh considerably less.

I, uh, appreciate your thought exercises, but I wonder if you read anything other than the title.
I'm not trying to rape the system in various creative ways, I'm just looking for a weapon that allows me to attack more times than my BAB would allow. I mean with the same weapon every time. Skillful can be added to any weapon so it's not a factor.

I even made a few example, citing Eagle's Fury, Spinning Halberd, and double weapons in general.
I'm just looking for such things.

For example, I expected someone to mention Exotic Weapon Master in order to get flurry on a double weapon.

Fouredged Sword
2018-05-17, 02:09 PM
I, uh, appreciate your thought exercises, but I wonder if you read anything other than the title.
I'm not trying to rape the system in various creative ways, I'm just looking for a weapon that allows me to attack more times than my BAB would allow. I mean with the same weapon every time. Skillful can be added to any weapon so it's not a factor.

I even made a few example, citing Eagle's Fury, Spinning Halberd, and double weapons in general.

For example, I expected someone to mention Exotic Weapon Master in order to get flurry on a double weapon.

Just use a quarterstaff. You can flurry with that double weapon all day with little investment.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-17, 05:43 PM

For example, I expected someone to mention Exotic Weapon Master in order to get flurry on a double weapon.Just giving you more options. You can take them or leave them.

You could always go with enhancing your unarmed strikes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?285801-Tippy-s-Terrifically-Terrible-Trial/page25&p=15474863#post15474863) and go with things like TWF, Knock Down + Improved Trip, and Snap Kick. Make sure you add in at least one level of monk to treat your unarmed strikes as manufactured weapons.

noce
2018-05-17, 06:05 PM
Edited.
Thank you for the suggestion.