PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Making Wild Magic Player-Focused

Legimus
2018-05-15, 01:59 PM
I've always enjoyed the concept of Wild Magic sorcery, but I think that it has a deep flaw. Its most basic element—the Wild Magic Surge—is entirely reliant on the DM's discretion. I think that this is a mistake. The DM already has to keep track of many moving parts. Forcing them to remember to make you roll for a surge, or making players ask permission to roll, is not a reliable system.

This version changes that by removing the discretion and making the possibility of a Wild Magic Surge constant. Every spell you cast has a chance to trigger one, making it much more likely that you and your party will see surges. This ever-present instability, I think, better reflects the theme of Wild Magic sorcery. I have changed Tides of Chaos to fit into this more player-focused approach, and added a new feature, Entropy, that lets you increase the chances of triggering a surge at your discretion. Lastly, I've buffed Spell Bombardment slightly. In its current version, I think the added damage just isn't worthy of an 18th level feature, but I wanted to keep to the basic vision that the PHB has for Wild Magic. I'm looking for suggestions to replace it entirely, though.

I hope you enjoy, and I'd love any feedback you have!

Wild Magic, Improved (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJ7edD5Tz)

Sariel Vailo
2018-05-15, 02:18 PM
That looks and makes wildmagic better it will happen more often.

Marcloure
2018-05-16, 12:08 AM
I read somewhere a way to make it happen more often and without DM fiat. The idea is "whenever you cast a spell, roll a d20. On a result equal to or below the burned spell slot level, you roll on the table."

Legimus
2018-05-17, 06:59 PM
That's very similar to what I went with, though I added spell points to the mix. I haven't playtested it, but I thought it fit well thematically, the idea being that the more magic you pour into a spell, the greater the chance of a surge.

Maelynn
2018-05-19, 05:24 AM
I'm also not a fan of the current chance on wild magic, so when I came up with a WM Sorc as a villain I decided to have the surge chance determined by a die roll.

I'm going to make the Sorc much like making a player character, with a class level and appropriate abilities. If the result of the roll is lower than the villain's level, a surge happens.

Since I'm still learning the ropes on building/homebrewing encounters, I don't know yet what level my Sorc needs to be to be an appropriate challenge for a party of 4 lvl 4-5. But I'm thinking of these dice:

Lvl 4 = 1d10
Lvl 5 = 1d12
Lvl 6 = 2d8-1
Lvl 7 = 2d10-1

The -1 is to compensate for rolling with 2 dice, which normally makes it impossible to get a result of 1.