PDA

View Full Version : Build a City Thread II

AKA_Bait
2007-09-05, 09:16 AM
This thread is a continuation of the original Build a City Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3147808&posted=1#post3147808), picking up where that one left off.

Spoilered below are the rules of the thread.

READ THEM BEFORE YOU POST.

I'm totally stealing this from a similiar Wizards Forum post, and attempting to re-create it here on the General RPG forum page (it didn't work so well in the Homebrew boards.)

The premise is to let the posters create a town bit by bit using the D&D rules so that eventually a truly organic city would be made. One that actually felt like a town bred in a land of magic rather than a medieval European hamlet thrust into a world it didn't belong in. I'd also like to attempt to squeeze it into the Forgotten Realms, as I feel this would be a create "stop-over"

My intention in this thread is to repeat what was done but with a little more planning for the long term. Essentially I have created a short series of simple rules designed to stop -this- town from becoming a haven of villainy and undeath, while still preserving the average posters ability to write and create imaginatively. So, here's how the thread works-

Each poster (that wishes to) may post a "Chronicle". An account of the activities and the going's on of the town and it's members. A "Chronicle" typically covers between a 1 month and a 3 month period but they may be longer under some circumstances. You may make anything occur that you wish but please obey the following guidelines before chronicling.

THE 3 RULES
1) No artifacts. Artifacts are unbelievably rare in the DnD universe. Most adventurers will go their entire careers without ever seeing one.
EXAMPLE-RIGHT: Bob buys a periapt of wisdom from the mage
EXAMPLE-WRONG- Bob kills the evil mage and pries the Sword of Kas from his dead hands

2) Major events (zombie invasions, dragon razings, disintegration of major characters) should be proposed, rather than enacted. You would post a "proposition" at the end of your post if you wanted to do something huge with a rough outline of what you wanted to happen. The NEXT poster would then be able to decide if they thought your major even was truly warranted. Thusly for any event to occur it would have to be seconded, which would hopefully severely reduce (if not eliminate) the need to debate canon.
EXAMPLE-RIGHT: "Proposition" I think it would be interesting for Bobville to be raided by a squad of Hobgoblins
EXAMPLE-WRONG: Bobville is raided by Hobgoblins and dozens die in the ensuing melee. Also, everyone is now a Vampire.

3) Any poster may preceed the body of his post with the word "STOP". This means that he has taken serious issue with some event posted in the last chronicle. Further posts should not be made directly chronicling the town's events until the issue has been decided as either canon or non-canon. Without my posting an event can be considered "decided" if three consecutive posts are made in agreement as to whether or not the event is canon excluding the original poster of the event.
EXAMPLE-RIGHT:
Poster 1: Everyone is now a Vampire
Poster 2: STOP. That is ridiculous
Poster 3: I agree. The vampire thing is stupid as hell.
Poster 4: I agree. And thats three of us so it's out. Next person can chronicle without it.

EXAMPLE-WRONG:
Poster 1: Everyone is now a Vampire
Poster 2: STOP. That is Ridiculous.
Poster 1 again: VAMPIRES ROCK IT's CANON!
Poster 1 again: It's Canon!
Poster 1 again: It's Canon!
Poster 1 again: OK. Now that everyone's a Vampire........

Ok! You can get posting. Those are the only rules. However there were a few things which led to difficulties in the last thread. And while they're not against the "rules" I would like to make note of them all the same. If you just plan on posting once or twice you don't need to know them. But if you plan on being a regular contributor to this thread then at least give them a glance.

ON SPECIFIC CHARACTERS
Ok. Here's the thing. D&D is about PC's. It just is. However this thread here is not. If you plan on adding a character you made to the town then problems arise. You see if you spend a few hours making a character you have already invested effort into him. You feel some sense of ownership to him and that means you want to -control- him. The problem is that if you control an NPC he is no longer an NPC, he's a a PC. This thread is about letting as many people as possible input their ideas and use them to shape the City at large, and if you have a character that you don't want others to control then the thread stops being about Building a City and becomes about your character. If you ever make a character, item, group, or event that you consider to be specifically -yours- then it is likely that you have done something that is not conducive to the continuation of this thread.

EXAMPLE-RIGHT: I think the town needs an experienced Blacksmith. I'll make a 5th level Expert move in this season, I'll say he's a dwarf.
EXAMPLE-WRONG: I want to make a town Blacksmith. I'll make Gart Stonenose the 9th level former rogue retiree. He'll be a level 2 Fighter/Level 5 Rogue/Level 2 Dwarf Paragon* and he'll have only one eye.
*As a note multiclassing characters in general is bad. If you want to make a PC that's fine but there's nothing you can do with a Swashbuckler 2/Elven Paragon 3/Fighter 1 that you can't do with a 6th level Fighter

ON ALL CHARACTERS
How many stuntmen do you know? How about professional bastketball players? How about astronauts, celebrities, CIA agents, Rap stars, or SWAT commanders? The answer is probably "not a lot" and the reason I ask is to give you an idea of the general rarity of PC's in the world. You see in the D20 system the above mentioned people are the folks you play as PC's and in the D&D system "Adventurers" are no more common. As such while it's perfectly acceptable to have people with PC classes move into the town they should not generally be more than 2% of the population. Most should be NPC classes of the appropriate type and when PC's DO come into town they should generally be of the 1st-5th level kind. An arrival of a 10th level PC into town would be like if Ludacris bought a house down the street from you. It's rare.

ON MAJOR EVENTS
Above I said that "Major Events" should be proposed rather than enacted so I've complied a quick list of Major Events that can be used as guidelines. These are to be used with common sense so if your Satyr invasion only kills 4% of the population then It's still probably not that cool to just do it.

-Any event that kills 5% of the population or more (Zombie invasion)
-The introduction of an individual of equal or higher level than the highest level person in town (King arrives in town)
-The introduction of a "Character" (The Wizard Zell arives in town)
-The introduction of a group or organization (A member of the "Black Thieves Guild" arrives in town)
-Any event which irrevocably changes the way the town will function for the foreseeable future (The Wizard Zell builds an enormous Magic Academy)
-The death or permanent altering of any "Character" in town (The Wizard Zell gets disintegrated in a duel)
-The introduction of any monster or group of monsters which cannot be reasonably defeated by the town (A Black Dragon takes up residence in the nearby hills)

Ninja'd!

1. When seconding, always quote which post your are seconding.
2. If you are ninja'd a) edit to be the next half year period or b) it will be assumed to be going on during the same time period as the ninjing post.
3. In the case that the two (or more) events are mutually exclusive and not requiring seconding (minor changes) they will all now require a second. The first one to be seconded by 2 posters will be adopted.

And I think we were here: I'm not adding any changes in this post just giving the condition of the town.

Tobton

Year 17 January, 1

Total population: 760
Families: 200

Town Leadership & Dependents
Tobais Frostleaf: pal 10 (Local Lord)
Aust Umla: Halfling Sorcerer 10 (Local Sorcerer/Town Counsilman)
Joe Billings: Human Expert 8 (Innkeeper/)
Linda Billings: Human Expert 4 (Inkeeper's Wife)
Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 21, Jakob Allmrind apprentice)
Jim Billings: Human Warrior 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, now 21)
Jakob Heckelson: Pal 1
Amary Valentine: TN Human Wizard 2 (26 years old)

Town Guard
Gregory Eckson: Human Fighter 12 (Sheriff/Town Councilman)
Thomas Jorgenson TN Human Male Warrior 4 / Fighter 2 (lieutenant)
Tyras Tiefling: Marshall 4 (lieutenant)
Sir Edward Barrington NG human Fighter 5 (Acting sergeant, but don't call him that)
Frederik Holderhiem: Warrior 2 (Oskar's Son)
4 Level 3 Warriors (sergeants)
6 Level 2 Warriors (vets)
52 Level 1 Warriors, mostly human, but a handful (8) of dwarves.

Opposition
Finneas Jast: LE Human Rogue 2
Kerreth Ferrox: LE Dwarven Expert 4/Adept 2
Grahm Nickelson: (current age 25) Human Sorc 6 (left)
Brim Greenstone: (age 23) human wizard 3 (Grahms Gang/working for Ferrox, left)
Marren Glimfeather Rogue 3 (Member of Grahm's Gang ) (Left)
Several Human Thugs in Grahm's gang

Forest Dwellers
Bromeliad Te'Lienan: N Female Elven Druid 4
CG Male Human Ranger 3
NG Female Half-Elven Ranger 2
Human Warrior 2
Human Warrior 1
Possibly some other Rangers, but if so, they haven't been seen by the towns people
Talcus Oakenbough were boar wizard

Gypsy Caravan
Jormish Glimrock: Illusionist 2 (Caravan Leader)
Gina Yrtlbow: Female Halfling Expert 1
Larish, taln, Finahn and Gahn halfling bards 1
Ran Hartglen: Halfling Expert 2, a copper- and tinsmith

Mercenary Outpost
Diane Harclaw human female fighter 1/expert 2

Townspeople
J'red Darrh: Half-elf Expert 3 / wiz 1 (General Craftsman)
Jenna Hornthrush- Human Expert 4 (Teacher)
Oskar Holderhiem: Dwarf Expert 5 (Blacksmith)
Glidda Holderhiem: 1 commoner/ Expert 2(Oskar's wife)
Henzik Holderhiem: LN Expert 3/Adept 2 (Oskar's Brother)
Several other families of Holderheim clan dwarves
Garth Rek: Human Expert 4 (Preacher of Torm)
Caranthir Telperiën: male elf bard 3
Drec Bloodroar: half orc bard 3
Jakob Allmrind: Human Bard 7 (Secondary teacher, Mine owner and Betty Billings Teacher)
Ellie and Tara Birch: (age 13) Human Commoners 1 (busybodies)
Kane Hillman: Human LG Expert 1 (harness maker, curmudgeon)
Arianthelas Ne'querros: male, NG elf Wizard 5
Iriellen Ne'querros: female elf Cleric 2 (Arianthelas sister)
Jeff Allmrind: Human bard 1
Gustave Neonate human adept 4
dwarf Targak Bjorin (Rogue 3, CN

Outside of Town
Brok's mother and younger brother, camped near the road
a den of bandits, attracted by the easy pickings of a newly prospering settlement, indeterminate location.

Underdark:
10 kobolds.

Deceased
Brok: Ogre Commoner 2
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Hall of Torm / Market Place
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Schoolhouse (now has 5 rooms)
Smithy
112 Homes
5 Unoccupied homes (due to families leaving)
Graveyard
Druid Grove in Wood of Sharp Teeth
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
New homes outside the City Wall
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Warehouse (damaged in fire)
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Ferrox Manor (contains 1 Dire Rat)
Haunted House
Jakob’s new house.
Ferrox’s new house.
Ferrox’s renting houses.
The grumpy shovel
Ankheg Farm (outside of town walls)
Mercenary Outpost
Weavers Homes
Sheep Pastures (outside of town walls)
Mill

Sly
2007-09-05, 09:26 AM
Some of the bandits are caught by the watch. The remainder mount a daring raid upon the jail. I fight breaks out and men on both sides are injured. The bandits free the prisoners but their leader is killed. A power struggle begins and whilst it is unresolved crime falls outside the city.

internerdj
2007-09-05, 09:41 AM
Some of the bandits are caught by the watch. The remainder mount a daring raid upon the jail. I fight breaks out and men on both sides are injured. The bandits free the prisoners but their leader is killed. A power struggle begins and whilst it is unresolved crime falls outside the city.
Seconded.

Proposal: For simplicity sake, events in the prior thread have been mostly resolved with little overall effect to the community. Thereby eliminating the need for new posters to read 14 pages before posting.

Emperor Demonking
2007-09-05, 11:09 AM
Proposal: The council proposes for tresspassing to be punnished more harshly and gets through.

I wanted a long thread.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-05, 12:30 PM
I wanted a long thread.

Um... sorry? I've just found that shorter threads tend to make it easier for new posters to get involved. I know I'm very unlikley to post on a thread of this type if it is particularly long because I don't want to read all of it.

Proposal: For simplicity sake, events in the prior thread have been mostly resolved with little overall effect to the community. Thereby eliminating the need for new posters to read 14 pages before posting.

Humm... if this means all the plotlines that were going are resolved by fiat I'm against it and it wasn't my intention in starting the second thread. How about we just add a little list of the major plot points that are currently in play.

1. Kerreth Ferrox and his assistant Finneas Jast are trying to covertly rest control of the town from Tobias frostleaf. They are accumulating friends and allies within the town as well as occasionally planting rumors about Tobias and his friends.

2. Grahmn Nickelson is a BBEG in progress. He was expelled from the town but is planning his revenge when he becomes more powerful.

3. Gregory Eckson is ill and wounded. Tyras and Edward Barrington both are vying for his job as commander of the town guard. Barrington has recently won local acclaim defending the town from goblins.

Am I missing anything really big?

internerdj
2007-09-05, 12:42 PM
Humm... if this means all the plotlines that were going are resolved by fiat I'm against it and it wasn't my intention in starting the second thread. How about we just add a little list of the major plot points that are currently in play.

1. Kerreth Ferrox and his assistant Finneas Jast are trying to covertly rest control of the town from Tobias frostleaf. They are accumulating friends and allies within the town as well as occasionally planting rumors about Tobias and his friends.

2. Grahmn Nickelson is a BBEG in progress. He was expelled from the town but is planning his revenge when he becomes more powerful.

3. Gregory Eckson is ill and wounded. Tyras and Edward Barrington both are vying for his job as commander of the town guard. Barrington has recently won local acclaim defending the town from goblins.

Am I missing anything really big?
I didn't mean major and I expected objections to pull forth the important stuff. I just don't feel that when we get to thread three or four we should be arguing well back in thread 1 page 7 graham kicked a cat so your major idea won't fly....

AKA_Bait
2007-09-05, 01:06 PM
I didn't mean major and I expected objections to pull forth the important stuff. I just don't feel that when we get to thread three or four we should be arguing well back in thread 1 page 7 graham kicked a cat so your major idea won't fly....

Oh sure. If you just mean 'no going nuts over little details from the other thread' I'm all for seconding it.

I just don't want someone all of a sudden posting that Kerreth and Tobias become close buddies.

Yeril
2007-09-05, 01:12 PM
1) NEW NPC: In the underdark Mirik, a kobold sorceress of level 2. Claiming her magic to be a sign of her strong dragon blood she easily swayed the other kobolds to follow her.

(Change 10 kobolds to 9 kobolds + Mirik)

2) EVENT: A few rangers find owlbear tracks in the forest.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-05, 01:25 PM
1) NEW NPC: In the underdark Mirik, a kobold sorceress of level 2. Claiming her magic to be a sign of her strong dragon blood she easily swayed the other kobolds to follow her.

(Change 10 kobolds to 9 kobolds + Mirik)

2) EVENT: A few rangers find owlbear tracks in the forest.

Seconded both.

Grug
2007-09-05, 02:13 PM
The town finds out why 5 of the houses had been abandoned for so long: there's a colony of giant ants (not dire, small size, like Curser) living inside. They have been going out into the area stealing trash and small valuables. Whether or not they are considered menaces or whether they become the next trendy pet remains to be seen.

Proposal: Ellie and Tara Brich (the infamous twins) are starting to grow up into young women. Both are very comely and are beginning to look even more alike. However, their personalities are starting to split. Ellie is spending more time at Frostleaf's rest, learning bartending and socializing, while Tara is becoming studious and spends weekend mornings studying at the mage college.

Runolfr
2007-09-05, 02:23 PM
Proposal: Ellie and Tara Brich (the infamous twins) are starting to grow up into young women. Both are very comely and are beginning to look even more alike. However, their personalities are starting to split. Ellie is spending more time at Frostleaf's rest, learning bartending and socializing, while Tara is becoming studious and spends weekend mornings studying at the mage college.

Seconded: Ellie is presumably acquiring a level of commoner, while Tara is drifting toward bard/sorcerer/wizard

elliott20
2007-09-05, 02:42 PM
Seconded: Ellie is presumably acquiring a level of commoner, while Tara is drifting toward bard/sorcerer/wizard

I would say adept for now. With the PHB2 rules for retraining around, there's no rush in making her into a full blown character with PC levels. Also, we don't know which magic user is going to be her main influence and thus effecting her career choice. Ellie, arguably, could be taking up levels in expert if she seems like the type who would happily acquire extra knowledge to get ahead.

blacksabre
2007-09-05, 03:09 PM
New NPC's

Captain: Forrestor Stout Lvl 3 Fighter 33 years old
Firstmate: Dunly Fent 2 level fighter 26 years old
Crew hand : Paise 21 years old (Brother of Lucel)
Crew hand : Lucel 19 years old (Brother of Paise)

58 Foot River barge

Captain Stout is looking for more economical facilites for his trade(Baldurs Gate is expensive)

He has submitted a proposal to the town council to help with the costs of building a small wharf on the river as well as adjacent warehouses. The captain can supply 25% of the cost himself.

The captain would like to use the town/wharehouse as a base of operations as he transports goods up and down the river between Baldurs gate and Scornubel. The wharehouses would hold Commodities until the market prices improved for transport.

In return, the Captain will:
Provide 3 permanent jobs year round to maintain the wharehouse.
Provide 10% dedicated cargo hold space for town merchants for no cost for transport. Town council can determine the allocations.
Provide 1 berth of passage to a Town council appointed representative to travel up and down river to establish trade along the river.

The ship will doc in town on the 7th and 21st day of each month for 2 days.

During the winter months the crew and ship will retain residence within the town.

elliott20
2007-09-05, 03:12 PM
New NPC's

Captain: Forrestor Stout Lvl 3 Fighter 33 years old
Firstmate: Dunly Fent 2 level fighter 26 years old
Crew hand : Paise 21 years old (Brother of Lucel)
Crew hand : Lucel 19 years old (Brother of Paise)

58 Foot River barge

Captain Stout is looking for more economical facilites for his trade(Baldurs Gate is expensive)

He has submitted a proposal to the town council to help with the costs of building a small wharf on the river as well as adjacent warehouses. The captain can supply 25% of the cost himself.

The captain would like to use the town/wharehouse as a base of operations as he transports goods up and down the river between baldurs gate and Scornubel. The wharehouses would hold commities until the market prices improved for transport.

In return, the Captain will:
Provide 3 permanent jobs year round to maintain the wharehouse.
Provide 10% dedicated cargo hold space for town merchants for no cost for transport. Town council can determine the allocations.
Provide 1 berth of passage to a Town council appointed representative to travel up and down river to establish trade along the river.

The ship will doc in town on the 7th and 21st day of each month for 2 days.

During the winter months the crew and ship will retain residence within the town.
this is a crucial proposal because this actually would define WHERE Tobton is actually located. If this is accepted, then we can accept as canon that Tobton is in fact located between the two locations listed... on a river running between the two, no less.

I ask that people consider this proposal very carefully before seconding it. as of right now, I'm seconding the captain and ship part, but the location I leave up to other people more well versed in FR to decide.

blacksabre
2007-09-05, 03:20 PM
The location of the town was already established.

The Keep Tobias purchased lies along the River Chionthar, on the edge of the Wood of Sharp Teeth near Baulder's Gate.

Baldurs gate and Scornubel are the two largest "established" population centers farthest apart on the river. Baldurs ofcourse at the delta, and Scornbel way up stream.

MAP of FR
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~cerberus/kuvat/forgotten%20realms%20map%20full.jpg

elliott20
2007-09-06, 07:38 AM
gah, another good reason why we should keep this new thread up instead of have the old 15 page thread. I totally missed that detail.

sefiru
2007-09-06, 08:09 AM
I would say adept for now. With the PHB2 rules for retraining around, there's no rush in making her into a full blown character with PC levels. Also, we don't know which magic user is going to be her main influence and thus effecting her career choice. Ellie, arguably, could be taking up levels in expert if she seems like the type who would happily acquire extra knowledge to get ahead.

Eh, I'd say adept too. As I recall, when I first proposed them, I had in mind for them to be pretty ordinary aside from the nosiness.

It's up to you guys at this point, but I'm noticing this tendency to give anyone with a name, not just PC levels, but *spellcaster* levels. IMO totally unnecessary. After all, knowledge is power, and the dynamics of local politics are not a matter of "my stick is bigger than your stick." I'm trying to say that I'd like to specifically have an influential character without any PC levels around, for sheer variety. Either the Twins or someone else.

Also, it seems to me Tobton has acquired an export industry: textiles. We have wool and linen in production, plus ankheg shells on the sly. I'll add to that and propose that elven traders start stopping in Tobton with silks for sale.

elliott20
2007-09-06, 08:31 AM
Eh, I'd say adept too. As I recall, when I first proposed them, I had in mind for them to be pretty ordinary aside from the nosiness.

It's up to you guys at this point, but I'm noticing this tendency to give anyone with a name, not just PC levels, but *spellcaster* levels. IMO totally unnecessary. After all, knowledge is power, and the dynamics of local politics are not a matter of "my stick is bigger than your stick." I'm trying to say that I'd like to specifically have an influential character without any PC levels around, for sheer variety. Either the Twins or someone else.

Yeah, I'm beginning to notice this trend as well. I personally always liked the idea of characters who are powerful not because they have ZOMG PC LEVELS but because they just know how to draw strings from the local populace.

Yeril
2007-09-06, 11:05 AM
TOWN EVENT: During one night, a huamn sized statue appears fixed in the center of town, no one knows how it arrived or when it arrived. The statue depicts a tall male paladin, fully armed with sword and shield at his side and a determened expression printed on his face.

People are begining to suspect that magic is afoot.

Emperor Demonking
2007-09-06, 11:06 AM
TOWN EVENT: During one night, a huamn sized statue appears fixed in the center of town, no one knows how it arrived or when it arrived. The statue depicts a tall male paladin, fully armed with sword and shield at his side and a determened expression printed on his face.

Seconded by me.

woc33
2007-09-06, 02:35 PM

Thirded.

Though i'd like to hear where it leads in your mind. :smallsmile:

sefiru
2007-09-06, 07:28 PM
TOWN EVENT:

And others suspect that Tobias has a massive ego, I expect. This should make fodder for Ferrox's rumor mill ...

Grug
2007-09-06, 07:39 PM
With the twins, I was just suggesting that one of the twins becomes a sage or librarian, and jsut said the mages college because it seems to be the only place to get books in the area. In faaaaaact...

Proposal: Undiscovered so far is the gnome Gnorin Raddig. He started living in tobton 5 years ago to get away from the hustle and bustle of Baldur's gate. After a short vacation, he decided to live in the growing town, and of his possesions moved is his respectful library. He's overjoyed when townspeople ask to share in his collection, often pointing out "Two books are useless with only one person to read them." When not managing his library (which doesn't sell or lend books, just makes the knowledge available), he's taking a stroll or getting drunk at the Grumpy Shovel. Indeed, Gnorin and Targak seem to share an interest in dirty literature ("Reading is private when children aren't arround".)

Satyr
2007-09-06, 07:59 PM
Proposal: With all that textile industry, the merchants (like Ferrox) make a cmpaign to lure a fair to Tobton.
It actually works, and for a week, the town is crowded with textile merchants from Baldur's Gate and other towns.
The growing textile industry is a garant for jobs, and new settlers are coming to town.

Proposal: Undiscovered so far is the gnome Gnorin Raddig. He started living in tobton 5 years ago to get away from the hustle and bustle of Baldur's gate. After a short vacation, he decided to live in the growing town, and of his possesions moved is his respectful library. He's overjoyed when townspeople ask to share in his collection, often pointing out "Two books are useless with only one person to read them." When not managing his library (which doesn't sell or lend books, just makes the knowledge available), he's taking a stroll or getting drunk at the Grumpy Shovel. Indeed, Gnorin and Targak seem to share an interest in dirty literature ("Reading is private when children aren't arround".)

Seconded. For more bawdy gnomes.

puppyavenger
2007-09-06, 08:12 PM
With the twins, I was just suggesting that one of the twins becomes a sage or librarian, and jsut said the mages college because it seems to be the only place to get books in the area. In faaaaaact...

thirded make him a low level expert with maxed out knowledge everything.

Proposal: With all that textile industry, the merchants (like Ferrox) make a cmpaign to lure a fair to Tobton.
It actually works, and for a week, the town is crowded with textile merchants from Baldur's Gate and other towns.
The growing textile industry is a garant for jobs, and new settlers are coming to town.

seconded

elliott20
2007-09-06, 10:33 PM

third that proposal

internerdj
2007-09-07, 08:34 AM
Edan Yarsborough Human expert 6 moves to town. He is a specialist bowyer and has found certain materials in the Woods of Sharp teeth to be the perfect material for his craft. He has worked out an arrangement with the druid's group for him or his emisarries to gather the materials in exchange for keeping the druid's rangers supplied with proper bows and arrows. To gather materials for Edan an adventuring group must bear an authorization letter from Edan.
Hook: Always open. Gather rare bow components for Edan from the Woods of Sharp teeth.

woc33
2007-09-07, 10:24 AM
Year 18 January
Events:
1. With all that textile industry, the merchants (like Ferrox) make a campaign to lure a fair to Tobton.
2. Undiscovered so far is the gnome Gnorin Raddig. He started living in Tobton 5 years ago to get away from the hustle and bustle of Baldur's gate. After a short vecation, he decided to live in the growing town, and open a library with all the books in his possesion. He's overjoyed when townspeople ask to use his collection, often pointing out "Two books are useless with only one person to read them." When not managing his library (which doesn't sell or lend books, just makes the knowledge available), he's taking a stroll or getting drunk at the Grumpy Shovel. Indeed, Gnorin and Targak seem to share an interest in dirty literature ("Reading is private when children aren't arround".)
3. During one night, a human sized statue appears fixed in the center of town, no one knows how it arrived or when it arrived. The statue depicts a tall male paladin, fully armed with sword and shield at his side and a determened expression printed on his face.

Total population: 793
Families: 217

Aust Umla: Halfling Sorcerer 10 (Local Sorcerer/Town Counsilman)
Linda Billings: Human Expert 4 (Inkeeper's Wife)
Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Inkeeper's Kid, Jakob Allmrind apprentice)
Jim Billings: Human Warrior 2 (Inkeeper's Kid)
Jakob Heckelson: Pal 2
Amary Valentine: TN Human Wizard 2

Town Guard
Sir Edward Barrington NG human Fighter 5 (Acting sergeant, but don't call him that)
7 Level 2 Warriors (vets)
61 Level 1 Warriors, mostly human, but a handful (8) of dwarves.

Opposition
Grahm Nickelson: (current age 26) Human Sorc 6 (left)
Brim Greenstone: human wizard 3 (Grahms Gang/working for Ferrox, left)

Forest Dwellers
CG Male Human Ranger 3
Human Warrior 2
Human Warrior 1
Possibly some other Rangers, but if so, they haven't been seen by the towns people
Talcus Oakenbough were boar wizard

Gypsy Caravan
Larish, taln, Finahn and Gahn halfling bards 1

Mercenary Outpost

Townspeople
Several other families of Holderheim clan dwarves
Drec Bloodroar: half orc bard 3
Jakob Allmrind: Human Bard 7 (Secondary teacher, Mine owner and Betty Billings Teacher)
Ellie Birch: (age 15) Human Expert 1 (busybody)
Tara Birch: (age 15) Human Adept 1 (busybody)
Gnorin Raddig: gnome expert 3

Outside of Town
a den of bandits, attracted by the easy pickings of a newly prospering settlement, indeterminate location.

Underdark:
Mirik: kobold sorceress 2
9 kobolds.

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
217 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Haunted House
Jakob’s new house.
Ferrox’s new house.
Ferrox’s renting houses.
The grumpy shovel
Mercenary Outpost
Weavers Homes
Mill
Library

*note: i took off the age from some of the major characters, aside from children and Grahm (as a BBEG sorcerer it's useful that he has an age listed), the age of adults does not need to be specified. I also increased the level of Jakob H. i think it's about time he'd gain a level.
btw, second some of the proposals for the next year, i think we already have enough material for another year.

Yeril
2007-09-07, 10:24 AM
Edan Yarsborough Human expert 6 moves to town. He is a specialist bowyer and has found certain materials in the Woods of Sharp teeth to be the perfect material for his craft. He has worked out an arrangement with the druid's group for him or his emisarries to gather the materials in exchange for keeping the druid's rangers supplied with proper bows and arrows. To gather materials for Edan an adventuring group must bear an authorization letter from Edan.
Hook: Always open. Gather rare bow components for Edan from the Woods of Sharp teeth.

Seconded;

Also One of his emisarries doesn't return from gathering materials, His body is found, brutaly gored, the surrounding tracks and large feathers show that it was definatly an owl-bear attack.

Or a Bear and a giant owl working together.

Thirded.

Though i'd like to hear where it leads in your mind.

Where it leads in my mind isn't important, what is is where it could lead in other peoples minds :smallamused:

Emperor Demonking
2007-09-07, 10:26 AM
Also One of his emisarries doesn't return from gathering materials, His body is found, brutaly gored, the surrounding tracks and large feathers show that it was definatly an owl-bear attack.

Or a Bear and a giant owl working together.

seconded.

Grug
2007-09-07, 11:39 AM
The whole town summary really needs some spelling fixes.

internerdj
2007-09-07, 02:12 PM
Spelling fixes and added the latest events:

Year 18 March
Events:
1. Edan Yarsborough Human expert 6 moves to town. He is a specialist bowyer and has found certain materials in the Woods of Sharp teeth to be the perfect material for his craft. He has worked out an arrangement with the druid's group for him or his emissaries to gather the materials in exchange for keeping the druid's rangers supplied with proper bows and arrows. To gather materials for Edan an adventuring group must bear an authorization letter from Edan.
2. One of Edan’s emissaries is killed while gathering materials in the forest, evidence points towards an owlbear.

Aust Umla: Halfling Sorcerer 10 (Local Sorcerer/Town Councilman)
Linda Billings: Human Expert 4 (Innkeeper’s Wife)
Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Innkeeper’s Kid, Jakob Allmrind apprentice)
Jim Billings: Human Warrior 2 (Innkeeper’s Kid)

Town Guard

Opposition
Brim Greenstone: human wizard 3 (Grahm's Gang/working for Ferrox, left)

Forest Dwellers
CG Male Human Ranger 3
Human Warrior 2
Human Warrior 1
Talcus Oakenbough were-boar wizard

Gypsy Caravan
Larish, Taln, Finahn and Gahn Halfling bards 1

Mercenary Outpost

Townspeople
Several other families of Holderhiem clan dwarves
Drec Bloodroar: half-orc bard 3
Edan Yarsborough: Human Expert 6 (bowyer)

Outside of Town

Underdark:
9 kobolds.

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 Halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
218 Homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Haunted House
Jakob’s new house.
Ferrox’s new house.
Ferrox’s renting houses.
The grumpy shovel
Mercenary Outpost
Weavers Homes
Mill
Library

internerdj
2007-09-07, 02:22 PM
Proposal:
The owlbear comes across the druid and her band. They kill it but not easily. Days after they are shocked to discover fresh owlbear signs. They send word through the bowyer that the citizens of Tobton should be very wary when they are on the south side of the river. The druid's band gains a level from their difficult battle and various other previously undisclosed encounters in the woods.

Zombie pixe
2007-09-07, 03:24 PM
Proposal:
The owlbear comes across the druid and her band. They kill it but not easily. Days after they are shocked to discover fresh owlbear signs. They send word through the bowyer that the citizens of Tobton should be very wary when they are on the south side of the river. The druid's band gains a level from their difficult battle and various other previously undisclosed encounters in the woods.

seaconded.

PROPOSAL: a mildly charismatic man enters town, frequents the tavern for a while attempting to gain support in clearing out one of the houses infested by giant ants for him to live in. he claims to be a baker, though no neceserrily the most smart. he carries a moringstar and it is clear that it is not just for show.

Yeril
2007-09-07, 03:27 PM
Proposal: Investigating into the Kobold situation, Frederik Holderhiem and 8 other guardsmen (4 dwarvish, 3 human) Head down to investigate, Ambushed by several kobolds fighting quickly ensued, 2 dwarfs and a human were killed in the fight, aswell as 6 of the kobolds. Frederik Level up to Warrior 3 and gets premoted to sergeant.

Mirik (Now level 3) and her remaining followers retreat back into the underdark for now.

Yeril
2007-09-07, 03:30 PM
Proposal: Looking for somone to represent the growing dwarf population, Oskar holderhiem is elected for joining the Town Council.

Zombie pixe
2007-09-07, 03:39 PM
Proposal: Looking for somone to represent the growing dwarf population, Oskar holderhiem is elected for joining the Town Council.

ill seacond that, im not sure about the fight tho...

internerdj
2007-09-07, 03:44 PM
seaconded.

PROPOSAL: a mildly charismatic man enters town, frequents the tavern for a while attempting to gain support in clearing out one of the houses infested by giant ants for him to live in. he claims to be a baker, though no neceserrily the most smart. he carries a moringstar and it is clear that it is not just for show.

Seconded..

Yeril
2007-09-07, 03:48 PM
Proposition; Broks Ogre brother joins up to Mercenary Outpost.

Him and his mother have built a hovel just outside of the town, a more permenant home for them.

Okay Im all idea'ed out for like a week

Zombie pixe
2007-09-07, 04:02 PM
whoo!

anyway. the stranger befriends several members of the town malitia and they clear out the house clossest to the centre of town. they then help him set up his other equipment for his profesion (e.g. oven, and other things i cant think of).

In the next few weels the stranger becomes know to the genral populance as eric, a barbarian from distant lands. he is not the brightest of the bunch but kindly, charismatic and a good baker, specilsing in pies.

Over a few cups of ale in one of the inns eric reviles that he is setteling for several years to recover from his wounds, but possibly staying if it proves to be as nice as is rumored.

Barbarian 2/expert 3(baker) CG

PROPOSAL:
eric becomes a member of the malitia

Grug
2007-09-07, 06:33 PM
Some things still aren't fixed. For starters you could capitalize the Grumpy Shovel and label it as an Inn.

Brok's mother is rejected from the mercenary group, being too old to go on fighting (she does have two fully grown sons)

Yeril
2007-09-08, 01:02 PM
Brok's mother is rejected from the mercenary group, being too old to go on fighting (she does have two fully grown sons)

That would be very valid but it was broks brother who joined the mercenarys.

internerdj
2007-09-10, 08:03 AM
Anything I listed in the events section not previously seconded is my second of it.

Year 18 July
Events:
The druids band has killed an owlbear but has found signs of more in the area.

Oscar is elected to the council to represent the dwarves.

Eric barbarian 2/expert 3(baker) moves to town and is in the process of clearing out the empty houses in the town from their infestation. He joins the militia.

Brok's brother also joins the militia. He and his mother build a hovel outside of town.

Aust Umla: Halfling Sorcerer 10 (Local Sorcerer/Town Councilman)
Linda Billings: Human Expert 4 (Innkeeper’s Wife)
Betty Billings: NG Human Bard 2 (Innkeeper’s Kid, Jakob Allmrind apprentice)
Jim Billings: Human Warrior 2 (Innkeeper’s Kid)

Town Guard

Opposition
Brim Greenstone: human wizard 3 (Grahm's Gang/working for Ferrox, left)

Forest Dwellers
Bromeliad Te'Lienan: N Female Elven Druid 5
CG Male Human Ranger 4
NG Female Half-Elven Ranger 3
Human Warrior 3
Human Warrior 2
Talcus Oakenbough were-boar wizard

Gypsy Caravan
Larish, Taln, Finahn and Gahn Halfling bards 1

Mercenary Outpost

Townspeople
Several other families of Holderhiem clan dwarves
Drec Bloodroar: half-orc bard 3
Edan Yarsborough: Human Expert 6 (bowyer)
Eric: barbarian 2/expert 3(baker)

Outside of Town

Underdark:
9 kobolds.

Deceased
11 militia fighters
10 Halflings

BUILDINGS:
Frostleaf Keep
Frostleaf's Rest (Inn)
Smithy
218 Homes
4 Unoccupied homes
Graveyard
Caravansary
Wanderer's hearth(inn)
Unnamed weapons shop
Wall around the City
Halfling Gypsy Caravan
Fledgling Docks
Jail & Gallows
Gold Mine
Gem Shop
Haunted House
Jakob’s new house.
Ferrox’s new house.
Ferrox’s renting houses.
The Grumpy Shovel (Inn)
Mercenary Outpost
Weavers Homes
Mill
Library
Hovel (outside of town walls)

internerdj
2007-09-10, 12:54 PM
Proposal:
The statue of the paladin slowly begins to crumble. Garth insists it is a symbol of the moral decay of the city and calls for everyone to become right with the gods. The statue is reduced to powder in 13 days.

Zombie pixe
2007-09-16, 04:06 AM
Proposal:
The statue of the paladin slowly begins to crumble. Garth insists it is a symbol of the moral decay of the city and calls for everyone to become right with the gods. The statue is reduced to powder in 13 days.

seconded.

proposal:

3 or 4 more kobolds are drawn to mirik and join wiht the other 9

Emperor Demonking
2007-09-16, 04:32 AM
seconded.

proposal:

3 or 4 more kobolds are drawn to mirik and join wiht the other 9

Seconded, it is.

Zombie pixe
2007-09-22, 01:32 PM
Proposal:several rangers are descoverd, dead. owlbear tracks are everywhere, but the rangers were not killed by them, also, none of them have used any arrows or drawn weapons...

Das654
2008-10-12, 01:28 PM
Proposal:several rangers are descoverd, dead. owlbear tracks are everywhere, but the rangers were not killed by them, also, none of them have used any arrows or drawn weapons...

Seconded, on account of being mysterious.

Adumbration
2008-10-12, 02:24 PM
Proposal: An agent of a foreign country arrives to infiltrate the Tobton in the cunning disguise of a street sweeper. In other words...

New NPC:
Dol Theran, the half-orc Expert 3. Works in disguise to keep his finger on the pulse of the city through gossip. Eventually may or may not attempt to recruit other people - mostly he seeks to gain economical benefits for his country. Sends messages to home with pigeons that he keeps for "food". Lawful Neutral.

elliott20
2008-10-14, 10:55 AM
Proposal: An agent of a foreign country arrives to infiltrate the Tobton in the cunning disguise of a street sweeper. In other words...

New NPC:
Dol Theran, the half-orc Expert 3. Works in disguise to keep his finger on the pulse of the city through gossip. Eventually may or may not attempt to recruit other people - mostly he seeks to gain economical benefits for his country. Sends messages to home with pigeons that he keeps for "food". Lawful Neutral.

seconded.

I have a sudden urge to pull out one of the lesser used characters.

for the past several years, J'red Darrh has been spending a lot of time in Gnorin's library (or whoever the bawdy gnome is), and have finally been able to accumulate enough knowledge to gain a level in wiz.

he also has grown close to Ellie, who has spends large amount of time in the library and has come to see her as a younger sister.

It is also during this time that he finally sees Bromeliad by chance in the forest for the first time in his life. And, as fools like him tend to be, he falls in love with her visage, though utterly lacking in any idea how to pursue her.

He eventually decides to seek her out in the forest, despite Ellie's urging him not to. He was wounded by a feral creature in the forest (to be determined by the rest of you) after getting lost in there for several days. He survived the attack, and was brought back to his home after being found by Brok.

to summarize:

1. J'red gains a level in wiz
2. J'red now has an existing friendship with Ellie. (the twin that became the studious one)
3. J'red also falls in love with Bromeliad (the feeling is probably not mutual, poor J'red and his CHA 9)
4. J'red was wounded in the forest when he went looking for Bromeliad.

Jayabalard
2008-10-14, 11:04 AM
just a friendly FYI: this thread has been dead for more than a year.

elliott20
2008-10-14, 11:08 AM
I know, which is why I was really surprised when I saw someone before me post. but hey, can't hurt to give it another go right?