PDA

View Full Version : Thought Experiment - Black Blade of Disaster

adonis53
2018-05-15, 09:03 PM
Hey there! I'm trying my best to find a RAW(or at least mostly RAW) way to turn a BBoD spell into a physical weapon that can be given to a BSF(big stupid fighter) to full attack with at disintegrate level damage per hit. So far the only things I've thought of that make sense aren't actually RAW ways of handling it and would require some DM homeruling, so I figured someone here might have an idea. :smalltongue:

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-15, 09:07 PM
Hey there! I'm trying my best to find a RAW(or at least mostly RAW) way to turn a BBoD spell into a physical weapon that can be given to a BSF(big stupid fighter) to full attack with at disintegrate level damage per hit. So far the only things I've thought of that make sense aren't actually RAW ways of handling it and would require some DM homeruling, so I figured someone here might have an idea. :smalltongue:How about an at-will use-activated item, shaped like a sword hilt, that is activated upon swinging it and lasts for 1 round?

Use the pricing guides in the DMG and the MIC to work out the price for it.

Or you could do a self-resetting spell trap, which is also in the DMG.

adonis53
2018-05-15, 09:21 PM
I've thought of that, but that still leaves only one attack since it is a standard action to activate the item. Even if you made it swift or free action, it would activate the spell itself rather than making the blade come out of the hilt. I'm trying so hard not to have to homerule it haha!

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-05-15, 09:56 PM
I've thought of that, but that still leaves only one attack since it is a standard action to activate the item. Even if you made it swift or free action, it would activate the spell itself rather than making the blade come out of the hilt. I'm trying so hard not to have to homerule it haha!That's where the "use activated" part comes in at. It's activated when you use it, so you swing the hilt and the sword pops into existence. That way, the black blade can be sheathed, rather than simply disintegrating everything it touches.

flappeercraft
2018-05-15, 10:04 PM
Maybe giving the BSF a Voidstone weapon would be similar enough? It won't be making any additional damage but does force anything it hits to make a Fort Save DC 25 or be disintegrated automatically.

Arcanist
2018-05-15, 10:22 PM
Maybe giving the BSF a Voidstone weapon would be similar enough? It won't be making any additional damage but does force anything it hits to make a Fort Save DC 25 or be disintegrated automatically.

This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?480986-The-Voidstone-Arsenal-For-when-you-really-want-stuff-gone) is what the quoted user is referring to. If I were to make a Voidstone weapon, I'd take a pommel of constant Greater Mage Hand (SpC, page 136) to just hold the weapon Voidstone portion of the weapon and make the primary cost associated with the weapon actually BE the Voidstone.

adonis53
2018-05-15, 11:39 PM
Voidstone seems to fit my needs perfectly. Thanks! :)