PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a One-Shot I'm trying to write (D&D 5E)

WarforgedTank
2018-05-16, 12:50 AM
I am currently in the process of writing a one-shot for my friends, based off of the short story "The Most Dangerous Game."

The idea I have is to drop the players on an island who's only inhabitants are monsters and beasts and such. They have to fight and acquire gear in order to prepare for the final battle with the villain, who would be a high powered Ranger, or something along those lines.

The snag in my idea is this. Do I limit the race selection to human? Should I limit the class selection to only martial classes? As people who play D&D, or other roleplaying games, I was hoping you folks could give me some ideas to make this a fun game for everyone at the table.

Thanks!

Calthropstu
2018-05-16, 01:19 AM
I am currently in the process of writing a one-shot for my friends, based off of the short story "The Most Dangerous Game."

The idea I have is to drop the players on an island who's only inhabitants are monsters and beasts and such. They have to fight and acquire gear in order to prepare for the final battle with the villain, who would be a high powered Ranger, or something along those lines.

The snag in my idea is this. Do I limit the race selection to human? Should I limit the class selection to only martial classes? As people who play D&D, or other roleplaying games, I was hoping you folks could give me some ideas to make this a fun game for everyone at the table.

Thanks!

Wrong section, you'd likely do better reposting this in the 5e forum. But these questions are generic enough I suppose.

When limiting race selection you have to ask youself "why?" Why would they be restricted to human? Is it a human only world? Are they in an area where not being human would be extremely disadventageous? Are they fighting against a particular race with hatred of humans and you want them to roleplay against that hatred? Do other races have abilities you feel are overpowered? If none of these are true, I vote not to restrict the race too much.

I am not familiar with 5e mechanics. If other class mechanics offer too many ways to escape the island without completing the adventure, then by all means apply liberal use of the banhammer. You have a module you spent a lot of time making. To have the party wizard say "So we're dropped on an island huh? Yeah, I teleport the party back home," kinda sucks. If you can, try to limit particular class abilities you think are problematic rather than banning entire classes. But if one class seems just far too powerful or troublesome kick it to the curb.

WarforgedTank
2018-05-16, 01:22 AM
Wrong section, you'd likely do better reposting this in the 5e forum. But these questions are generic enough I suppose.

When limiting race selection you have to ask youself "why?" Why would they be restricted to human? Is it a human only world? Are they in an area where not being human would be extremely disadventageous? Are they fighting against a particular race with hatred of humans and you want them to roleplay against that hatred? Do other races have abilities you feel are overpowered? If none of these are true, I vote not to restrict the race too much.

I am not familiar with 5e mechanics. If other class mechanics offer too many ways to escape the island without completing the adventure, then by all means apply liberal use of the banhammer. You have a module you spent a lot of time making. To have the party wizard say "So we're dropped on an island huh? Yeah, I teleport the party back home," kinda sucks. If you can, try to limit particular class abilities you think are problematic rather than banning entire classes. But if one class seems just far too powerful or troublesome kick it to the curb.

Yeah I realized just a little bit too late that I had probably put this in the wrong place, but I didn't see an option to move or delete the thread.

My reasoning is I kind of wanted to stick as close to the source material as I could. The story, broken down to basics, is about a hunter who has conquered every type of hunt he can imagine. So he moves on to what he considers the most dangerous game: man. Now, race selection doesn't have to be specifically limited, it was just an idea that I had when I thought of this idea. All of your points, though, are valid. But if they're dropped naked on an island, isn't a wizard kind of hosed without their spellbook?

JoeJ
2018-05-16, 02:27 AM
Yeah I realized just a little bit too late that I had probably put this in the wrong place, but I didn't see an option to move or delete the thread.

My reasoning is I kind of wanted to stick as close to the source material as I could. The story, broken down to basics, is about a hunter who has conquered every type of hunt he can imagine. So he moves on to what he considers the most dangerous game: man. Now, race selection doesn't have to be specifically limited, it was just an idea that I had when I thought of this idea. All of your points, though, are valid. But if they're dropped naked on an island, isn't a wizard kind of hosed without their spellbook?

The only thing a wizard can't do without their spellbook is change which spells they have prepared. Whatever spells they've already prepared before they lost access to the book don't become unprepared; they'll stay prepared until the wizard regains their spellbook and decides to change them.