PDA

View Full Version : Best feats for Circle of the Moon druid?

WarforgedTank
2018-05-16, 01:02 AM
Hi all!

Been playing this character fora while, but I've only been taking ASIs at appropriate levels. I'm variant human, so I took Tough at level 1. Are any other feats worth taking?

Saggo
2018-05-16, 01:03 AM
Resilient Con and War Caster so you can keep concentration going while Wild Shaped.

WarforgedTank
2018-05-16, 01:04 AM
Resilient Con and War Caster so you can keep concentration going while Wild Shaped.

Totally never even thought about that lol. Thanks for the quick reply!

BillyBobShorton
2018-05-16, 01:12 AM
Was going to say what Saggo said. Many Druid spells are concentration. So ensuring you hold those spells is key, whether it be in wild shape or your normal form.

CTurbo
2018-05-16, 01:53 AM
Alert, Mobile, Lucky, and Resilient are good on anybody.

Specifically for you, Warcaster, Magic Initiate, Ritual Caster, and Observant(if odd Wis) would be great.

hymer
2018-05-16, 03:33 AM
I'm with Saggo. Warcaster and Resilient (Con) are excellent. And I'll add another nuance: They work for you whether you are in beast shape or caster form. You are likely to need to make saves in either case.
Other feats are great for you specifically in wild shape (such as Sentinel), but do little or nothing while in caster form. As Moon Druid, your beast shapes start out very strong, but then fluctuate in power compared to your level over your career. So if you pick up feats that are useful in both caster form and wild shape, you can feel certain you're getting the most out of your feats, no matter your level.

Edit: A quick plug to my druid guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545558-5e-Druid-Handbook-Dreams-Land-Moon-and-Shepherd). Feats are discussed in post 3.

Cespenar
2018-05-16, 04:31 AM
Hi all!

Been playing this character fora while, but I've only been taking ASIs at appropriate levels. I'm variant human, so I took Tough at level 1. Are any other feats worth taking?

No offense, but Tough is one of the worst feats you could get for a Moon Druid, since you'll be mostly using your animal HP pool anyway.

I've played one through Out of the Abyss, and my list was as thus. Your mileage may vary, of course: Observant, Lucky, Sentinel, Resilient: Con. Lucky and Resilient: Con give you excellent coverage towards any hostile effects, Sentinel allows you to tank better, and Observant helps you hit a 20+ Passive Perception so that very few things can get past you.

As suggested above, you could definitely put Warcaster in there as well.

TheUser
2018-05-16, 05:37 AM
Sentinel. (it has the potential to literally double your damage output...)

So many beasts have single high damage attacks and getting another one as an opportunity attack really helps.

CR 1: Giant Spider (1d8+3 + 2d8 save for half)
Giant Toad (2d10+2 & grappled condition); allows for follow up attack on your next turn to eat them!

CR 2: Plesiosaurus (3d6+4)
Giant Constrictor Snake (2d8+5 & Restrained Condition)

CR 3: Ankylosaurus (4d6+4)

CR 4: Stegosaurus (6d6+4)

CR 5: Brontasaurus (6d8+5)

As you can see, with the exception of the rogue, you're going to be dealing some of the most opportunity attack damage possible; creatures will try and use disengage next to you all the time which will still allow you to opportunity attack, and because you occupy more space the odds of an adjacent creature attacking someone other than you becomes greater (since you have more spaces that are adjacent to you).

The other feat I recommend that this community often overlooks is the dreaded
Savage Attacker

Normally re-rolling a 1d12 great axe is a bit meh, but when you're doing 6d6 damage and you take the higher value no matter what, it is far from trivial for moon druids that are focused on their damage.

Maybe not as great at levels 1-8 but once you can turn into ankylosaurus at level 9 it's pretty phenominal and can make a big difference in DPR depending on luck and whether or not sentinel is giving you opportunity attacks.

It's a no brainer when you only have one attack and it's dealing 6d8 damage.

hymer
2018-05-16, 05:52 AM
No offense, but Tough is one of the worst feats you could get for a Moon Druid, since you'll be mostly using your animal HP pool anyway.

It's possible the DM has ruled that Tough adds hp to wild shapes, in which case it's quite a decent feat for a moon druid. Also if you picked moon druid to cover a really low con score, Tough might add a rather large percentage of hp to your vulnerable caster form.
Those specifics aside, I agree that Tough isn't the choice I would have made.

Dr. Cliché
2018-05-16, 08:32 AM
I've had a great deal of fun with Mobility.

I think it's pretty flavourful, too. I mean, whilst Moon Druids are tanky while Wild Shaped, I doubt that the druids see it that way. :smalltongue:

Citan
2018-05-16, 09:52 AM
Alert, Mobile, Lucky, and Resilient are good on anybody.

Specifically for you, Warcaster, Magic Initiate, Ritual Caster, and Observant(if odd Wis) would be great.
Best efficiency for length ratio I saw on a post for a long time. ;)

This, 100% (I'd put a priority on Resilient Constitution though especially if you have an odd score).

Tubben
2018-05-17, 01:37 PM
Resilient Con, Mobile, Luck, Alert.

I took it in this order: Luck, Mobile, Resilient Con. I dont have Alert.

Depending on your level, i disagree with Warcaster.

Advantage will help you on lower levels., but in my eyes, up to lv 17 it gets weaker and weaker.

Given, that you took Resilient Con : Dont forget, that you use the Con of your Animal Form, not your own. The +1...6 proficiency bonus from Resilient Con will be in most cases enough to either avoid an concentration roll or win it.
(concentration = dmg/2 or 10). With +4 proficiency and +4 constbonus you have to roll a 2 on an dc, to main the concentration for every dmg below 22. With Lucky you could add an d20 for the higher dmg rolls. Add an Ring of Protection, and you dont have to roll for damage below 22.

At lv 18+, after being able to cast in animal form, warcaster gets better.

Thats, of course, only my opinion. At this moment i dont have Warcaster and i dont plan to get it (But i will take Alert next)