PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Redwall Species as 5e Races

leogobsin
2018-05-16, 03:20 AM
So I got curious and started looking into Redwall species as D&D races, and didn't really find anything complete, and then I kinda couldn't stop thinking about it and had enough ideas that it felt worth it to get some stuff written down. Most of these are cobbled together from PHB/Volo's races (Mouse is just Variant human, Shrew is basically Goblin, Mole is based on Dwarf. Initially I was thinking of basing Squirrel, Badger, and Hare on Tabaxi, Goliath, and Bugbear respectively but ended up making enough changes that that basis isn't really recognizable). This isn't for anything in particular, I'm not planning on running a Redwall inspired campaign, really just thought it would be fun and then once I got stuff written down I wanted a chance to get some feedback.

A couple notes on the more "fluff" entries on here: for Age, I took 2 years (which seems to be the average captivity lifespan for mice) and mapped that onto a reasonable average human lifespan of 80 years, then applied that ratio (1 year real lifespan=40 in stat block) to the real life lifespans of non-mice creatures. For size I did a similar thing, assuming mice are about human-sized then using reference pictures from the animated TV show to eyeball sizes for other races. Alignment is more or less made up on the spot based on my understanding on Redwall lore. I didn't include any Language entries, because the Redwall series doesn't ever really include different languages.

Anyway, lets get into it!

ASI: Two ability scores of your choice increase by 1
Age: Mice reach adulthood in their late teens and live less than a century
Alignment: Mice are often Good, but their alignment can vary greatly.
Size: Mice generally stand 5 to 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet
Skill: Your gain proficiency in once skill of your choice
Feat: You gain one feat of your choice

ASI: Your Strength increases by 2, and your Constitution increases by 1
Age: Badgers reach adulthood at around 50, and usually live at least 300 years, the very oldest sometimes reaching 500
Alignment: Badgers have a strong sense of duty and tradition, meaning they are often Lawful, and a respect for life, meaning they are rarely Evil
Size: Badgers stand 7 to 8 feet tall and weight 280 to 350 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet
Powerful Build: You count as one size larger for the purpose of determining your carrying capacity and the amount of weight you can drag, push, or lift.
Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 HP but not killed outright, you can instead drop to 1 HP. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.
Legacy of Salamandastron: You have proficiency with Smith's Tools, the Hand axe, and the Battleaxe

ASI: Your Constitution increases by 2, and your Wisdom increases by 1
Age: Moles mature rather quickly, reaching adulthood by 15, but also lead long lives, usually 250 to 300 years.
Alignment: Moles have strong social bonds and often work together in close-knit groups, so they are generally Lawful.
Size: Moles stand between 4 and 5 feet tall and average 150 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Darkvision: Accustomed to life underground, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as though it were bright light, and in darkness as though it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.
Diggun' Claws: You have a burrow speed of 10 feet
Tool proficiency: You gain proficiency in one of the following artisan's tools of your choice: mason's tools, brewer's supplies, or carpenter's tools.
Stonecunning: Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check relating to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient with History, and you add twice your proficiency bonus to the check.
Toughness: Your maximum HP increases by 1, and increases by 1 every time you gain a level.

ASI: Your Strength increases by 2, and your Charisma increases by 1
Age: Hares mature at a similar rate to mice, and commonly live to around 150.
Alignment: Hares are kindhearted and generally Good, but also boisterous, independent, and often Chaotic.
Size: Hares stand 6 to 8 feet tall and weight between 250 and 350 pounds. Your size in Medium.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
Long Limbed: When you make a melee attack on your turn, your reach for that attack is 5 feet greater than normal.
Army Marches on Its Stomach: During a Short Rest, you can consume 1 days worth of rations to heal HP equal to 1d6+your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 HP healed).
Powerful Legs: You gain proficiency in Athletics or Acrobatics (your choice). In addition, when you make a standing high jump or long jump, the distance you can jump is not halved.

ASI: Your Dexterity increases by 2, and your Constitution increases by 1
Alignment: Shrews are hot-tempered and argumentative, strongly valuing personal freedom. They are generally Chaotic Good.
Size: Shrews are 3 to 4 feet tall and weight 40 to 80 pounds. Your Size is Small.
Fury of the Small: (As goblins in Volo's)
Nimble Escape: You can take the Hide or Disengage action as a bonus action on each of your turns.
Logboat Pilot: You have proficiency with Vehicles (water)

ASI: Your Dexterity increases by 2, and your Wisdom increases by 1
Age: Squirrels mature at a similar rate to mice and as long as 180 years.
Alignment: Squirrels are solitary creatures that often eschew society, meaning they are generally Neutral.
Size: Squirrels are somewhat taller and bulkier than mice, averaging about 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 35 feet
Born of the Treetops: You have a climbing speed equal to your walking speed
Forester: You have proficiency in two of the following skills of your choice: Insight, Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival
Weapon Training: You have proficiency with slings, shortbows, longbows, and javelins

Thoughts?

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-16, 06:28 AM
I love it. Many of the traits are similar to PC races, but that still makes sense.

nickl_2000
2018-05-16, 07:28 AM
I see no problems with it at all. Nothing seems overpowered (it helps that you borrowed many things from existing races). I would love to see a "monstrous" races edition with Stoats, Weasels, Rats, Foxes, and a Wildcat

hamishspence
2018-05-16, 09:01 AM
The animals were less humanoid, and the gap between small animals and big animals was bigger, in the first book (cat big enough to fit a mouse into its mouth, some animals like badgers going around on all fours except on special occasions).

But in the context of almost every book after that one, these tables are just fine.

leogobsin
2018-05-18, 08:55 AM
I see no problems with it at all. Nothing seems overpowered (it helps that you borrowed many things from existing races). I would love to see a "monstrous" races edition with Stoats, Weasels, Rats, Foxes, and a Wildcat

Yeah I've kinda got ideas for "vermin" races, the thing there is there's not a hude amount of differentiation between those species, seems like the Orc stats could be used more or less unchanged for rats, stoats, weasels, ferrets, etc.
Cats are another thing: using the animated series as reference, if Mathias is Medium, then Squire Julien is almost definitely Huge (thus putting him well outside the purview of 5e player races). Feel like I could probably manage Rats, Weasels, and Foxes as separate races though.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-18, 03:19 PM
But in Mossflower, Wildcats that were specifically the ancestors of Squire Julian that were small enough to use weapons, and legitimately duel with Martin the Warrior, who is probably not a giant.

SodaQueen
2018-05-18, 09:20 PM
The animals were less humanoid, and the gap between small animals and big animals was bigger, in the first book (cat big enough to fit a mouse into its mouth, some animals like badgers going around on all fours except on special occasions).

But in the context of almost every book after that one, these tables are just fine.Yeah, after the first book, it's intentionally vague about the actual sizes of the animals.

The races seem good, albeit a little bland. The hare's Army Marches on its Stomach ability, however, is pretty cool.

Cluck_Morris
2018-05-20, 09:33 AM
One small input on age, to tie into the universe. Rather than being years, adjust the in game reference to “seasons.” This tended to be the more common reference for age and seemed to be a stand-in for years. Thanks for going through the work to make these, Redwall is my favorite fantasy series.

hamishspence
2018-05-20, 03:55 PM
I'd have said a season is closer to two years. That would fit with the way Mattimeo comes across - as more like a 14 year old than a 7 year old.

PhantasyPen
2018-05-21, 10:51 PM
No Otters? Tagg would be so disappointed :frown:

Potato_Priest
2018-05-22, 04:29 PM
The only race on that list I have a problem with is the mole. In my experience, burrowing is by far the most abusable and powerful of the speeds, since being underground effectively removes you from line of sight, grants total cover, and can bypass an incredible number of obstacles.

leogobsin
2018-05-23, 04:52 AM
No Otters? Tagg would be so disappointed :frown:

I was thinking about Otters, not entirely sure what stats to give. What i'm considering is something like:

+2 Str, +1 Wis (Or +2 Str, +1 Dex?)
Swim speed and longer breath holding
Proficiency with Slings and Javelins, and when you make a ranged attack with a sling or javelin treat it as having a range of (60/180)

The only race on that list I have a problem with is the mole. In my experience, burrowing is by far the most abusable and powerful of the speeds, since being underground effectively removes you from line of sight, grants total cover, and can bypass an incredible number of obstacles.

I had this same thought too, but moles definitely need something beyond stonecunning to represent their digging expertise, and burrow speed seems like the most obvious and direct solution. I'd think about maybe requiring you take an action to 'break surface' before you can start using your burrow speed to limit the use in combat maybe? idk

PhantasyPen
2018-05-23, 08:45 AM
I was thinking about Otters, not entirely sure what stats to give. What i'm considering is something like:

+2 Str, +1 Wis (Or +2 Str, +1 Dex?)
Swim speed and longer breath holding
Proficiency with Slings and Javelins, and when you make a ranged attack with a sling or javelin treat it as having a range of (60/180)

I had this same thought too, but moles definitely need something beyond stonecunning to represent their digging expertise, and burrow speed seems like the most obvious and direct solution. I'd think about maybe requiring you take an action to 'break surface' before you can start using your burrow speed to limit the use in combat maybe? idk

I'd say Otters could get away with Str/Wis, maybe even Str/Cha (Hares make more sense as Dex/Cha in my opinion). For a swim speed say they have one equal to their land speed, and then they can hold their breath twice as long as normal. I don't think you need to say they have proficiency with slings or javelins, because those are two weapons that I believe every class is proficient with, however increasing their range increment with those weapons feels like a good way to show how otters use those weapons more than others.

As for the moles having a burrow speed, it's only 10 feet, and I don't think you gave them tremorsense or anything like that, so it's not like they are all-powerful earth elementals or something.

Potato_Priest
2018-05-23, 12:25 PM

It's a shame there aren't digging rules for normal people. If there were, you could probably give the moles a feature that let them treat their claws as shovels and pickaxes for the purpose of digging. As the rules are, I'm not sure what else to give them.