PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Master / Warlock

schreier
2018-05-16, 08:44 AM
Considering a gestalt build - and one of the most powerful "second tree" classes for a primary spellcaster is Eldritch Master. It opens up multiple spell lists (Beguiler + Rainbow Servant on one side, other side with any spellcaster advancing PrC for the "lost" levels of Rainbow servant, Eldritch Master at the other levels.

I was considering Warlock on the second tree, and realized I was confused how the "Combined Levels" class feature would work with warlocks.

It says "Add the character's eldritch master levels to the levels of any other spell casting class he has when determining the level-based effects of spells. For example, a 7th-level sorcerer with three levels of eldritch master casting a fireball spell inflicts 10d6 points of damage with a range of 800 feet. This is an extraordinary ability."

First - would it increase the CL for the Warlock invocations (i.e. for overcoming spell resistance)
My gut is yes, since it counts as an arcane casting class generally.

Second - would it increase the Eldritch Blast Damage - my gut is no, since that is a level-based value, but not an "effect" of a spell.

I know the FAQ says you can't take Practiced Spellcaster for Warlock - but in this case, I believe the class applies its levels to each arcane spellcasting class a character has so it could apply.

Thoughts?

I know gestalt isn't popular, but this question could come up in a regular game too (just very unlikely, since the benefits of the eldritch master are not really useful in that case before epic levels)

ColorBlindNinja
2018-05-16, 09:01 AM
The only problem that I see with that, is there's a line in Eldritch Master that states that you need cast spells as a Sorcerer to get the new spells the prestige class offers.

EDIT: Also, note that Warlocks don't cast spells, and thus by RAW, don't qualify for most spellcasting prestige classes.

EDIT 2: Also, for that reason, I don't think that Warlocks could learn the spells that Eldritch Master gives you.

schreier
2018-05-16, 09:12 AM
Agreed on the spells learned - as I mentioned, this would only make sense in a multiple caster character (with another arcane class). In particular, it would be valuable in gestalt or epic, where the lack of complete spellcasting progression is irrelevant.

The only real thing that might help the warlock is the "Combined Levels" class feature.

ColorBlindNinja
2018-05-16, 09:16 AM
Agreed on the spells learned - as I mentioned, this would only make sense in a multiple caster character (with another arcane class). In particular, it would be valuable in gestalt or epic, where the lack of complete spellcasting progression is irrelevant.

Yeah, in Epic, Eldritch Master is awesome.

The only real thing that might help the warlock is the "Combined Levels" class feature.

If your DM lets the Warlock qualify for the prestige class, and rules that it advance Warlock levels, it would be viable.

EDIT: I'm not sure you'd get much benefit out of it, though.

Rebel7284
2018-05-17, 12:24 PM
I had a thread a while ago with some thoughts about it and some useful discussion: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?323862-Brainstorming-Eldrich-Master