PDA

View Full Version : Wizard bruiser idea

Spacehamster
2018-05-16, 08:58 AM
So how would the playground go about this concept? Wizard that has to get 9th level spells(so min 17 level wiz) that has heavy armor and smacks people in the face with a 2h weapon. Probably fighter 2 abjuration wizard 18 starting with fighter for CON saves. GWM feat and warcaster, remaining two to bump INT. Fight with haste to proc potential bonus action attacks and use your normal action to booming blade or GFB?

Also what race would you use for this odd idea?

nickl_2000
2018-05-16, 09:08 AM
So how would the playground go about this concept? Wizard that has to get 9th level spells(so min 17 level wiz) that has heavy armor and smacks people in the face with a 2h weapon. Probably fighter 2 abjuration wizard 18 starting with fighter for CON saves. GWM feat and warcaster, remaining two to bump INT. Fight with haste to proc potential bonus action attacks and use your normal action to booming blade or GFB?

You have a solid plan for how to use the weapon as a wizard. Also, using Spell Sniper with a reach weapon and Booming Blade is a very solid.

Fighter is the easiest and least MAD and 3 levels of EK would be nice with more cantrips, spells prepared, and the weapon bond.

However, if you have the stats for it, I think, a Paladin would be best. That way you can use the wizard spells to smite as well as cast and get level 3 Paladin goodies. The Paladin will also help with spell progression over a fighter. Oath of Conquest looks pretty solid for this as does Devotion.

Race would depend on the sub class I'm choosing. For a Paladin, Tiefling is pretty solid as is Yaun-Ti. Variant Human is probably your best bet though. You can grab spell sniper, Warcaster, or GWM at level 1 so you come online sooner.

Boverk
2018-05-16, 09:18 AM
I've given this quite a bit of thought

Fighter 2/Wizard 18 (or Paladin 2, Wizard 18 if you want to smite)

Fighter 2 gets you action surge, fighting style, all weapons and armor, and second wind for a tiny bit of healing

Paladin 2 gets you first level paladin spells, smite, fighting style, all weapons and armor, a weak lay on hands

For Wizard, I'd probably go Abjuration or War Wizard, but if Theurgy Wizard ever makes it out of UA, I would definitely go that route though

Abjuration gets you some nice extra HP
War Wizard gives your more AC and bonuses to saving throws
Theurgy wizard gets you so much good stuff, but UA, so won't consider it for now

For your level 1 at will spell, probably Shield, but jump could be a lot of fun thematically.
For level 2, I'm a fan of Enlarge person (I love the idea of a grumpy dwarf wizard getting out of bed every morning and stretching to double in size), but you could also go full feral wizard and take alter self to get unarmed damage.

if you go war wizard, I would take a concentration spell for my second level at will, so you can always have that +2 to ac and saving throws

Dragons_Ire
2018-05-16, 01:35 PM
Spell choice really matters here. Tenser's Transformation is about perfect for this, and Mirror Image is also one to look in to. Greater Invisibility for advantage is solid as well.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-05-16, 04:54 PM

Also what race would you use for this odd idea?

I'd go Githyanki, but the Lich Queen is gonna be ANGRY.

Edited to add: Githyanki Martial Prowess is worth almost three Feats, so use one of those feat slots you saved for Toughness. Your bruiser wizard needs an extra 40 hit points.

8wGremlin
2018-05-16, 05:57 PM
make sure that the sword has a "ruby of the war mage" (Xanths)