PDA

View Full Version : Bard spells that are "Music"

Vox Silentii
2018-05-16, 12:37 PM
So my bard is a performer no 1.2 and 3 and i wanted spells that reflect that.

Spells that play songs or even pyrokinetics from xanathars that help with the firework show during one of his performances.

F.e. Mending, it doesn't do much but my character simply knows it so he can fix his lute/flute if something breaks.

Of the top of my head are spells like
Shatter and Dancing Lights

sophontteks
2018-05-16, 01:09 PM
Can you rephrase this a bit I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly

Spells that aid in performing?
Or spells that can be flavored as working through your instrument?

If its just the former.
-Minor illusion- can play sounds. Nice having a drum beat while you play. Can also add auxillary sounds.
-Silent image- really good for setting up the stage.
-Hallucinatory terrain- good way to set up everything beyond the stage.
-Faerie Fire- Rain glitter on your audience.
-Enhance Ability- Bit redundant with above spells, but gives advantage on performance.

Vox Silentii
2018-05-17, 04:02 AM
Can you rephrase this a bit I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly

Spells that aid in performing?
Or spells that can be flavored as working through your instrument?

If its just the former.
-Minor illusion- can play sounds. Nice having a drum beat while you play. Can also add auxillary sounds.
-Silent image- really good for setting up the stage.
-Hallucinatory terrain- good way to set up everything beyond the stage.
-Faerie Fire- Rain glitter on your audience.
-Enhance Ability- Bit redundant with above spells, but gives advantage on performance.

Basicly spells that are sounds or something to do with sound (Shatter, vicious mockery, silence, Deafness) and spells that help during shows which you captured quite nicely.

I just need more examples or this and spells that people would recommend

BLC1975
2018-05-17, 08:09 AM
Could a Bard cast Fog Cloud or something, for that dry ice effect?

sophontteks
2018-05-17, 09:13 AM
Since I can create spells with music I also create some magical effects in the casting process. A bard can play an instrument in supernatural ways. They aren't just using it to create sound, they are also using it to manipulate the weave of magic. Bards and Wizards manipulate the weave in very different ways. Wizards use precise ritual manipulations while bards can feel it out through their instrument and through singing.

- I can fiddle my fingers over the strings to cast a spell without creating a sound when the spell has no verbal.

- I can create sounds only certain creatures can hear.

- The music I create can have powerful magical effects.

- Playing music satisfies the verbal component so long as it isn't ever allowng me to cast a spell when I otherwise couldn't.

Given these properties I can cast most things with an instrument:

- dissonate whispers I flavored as a discordant tune. Basically rasping one's fingers over the strings to create a horrible sound only the target can hear.

- Bardic inspiration is a silent chord that whispers the targets name. Only the target can hear.

- Illusion spells are all weaved through music, maintained and manipulated by silently moving my fingers on the frets.

- Some charm spells are just magically-enhanced performances, like calm emotions.

That should help give you ideas at least.

Sinon
2018-05-17, 08:41 PM
When you get to the appropriate levels, Hold Person and Hold Monster (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rNQjv0r7tM) seem required.