PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Domain?

UserClone
2007-09-05, 11:34 AM
I remember reading somewhere amongst the threads about a feat which allows a sorcerer to have the spells from a domain available to choose as his spells; am I crazy? Anyone know what I am looking for? Prereqs? Description? Book?

Dausuul
2007-09-05, 11:37 AM
I remember reading somewhere amongst the threads about a feat which allows a sorcerer to have the spells from a domain available to choose as his spells; am I crazy? Anyone know what I am looking for? Prereqs? Description? Book?

The Arcane Disciple feat from Complete Divine. Don't remember exactly what the prereqs and details are.

UserClone
2007-09-05, 11:37 AM
Does anyone?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-05, 11:45 AM
I think you are inquiring about Complete Divine: Arcane Disciple general feat, prereq Religion - 4, Spellcraft - 4. Add the chosen domain's spell to your class list of arcane spells. You can learn to cast these spells as normal for your class (Nerfs sorcerers and technically should nerf Favored Souls who know their spells the same way). You must have a wisdom score equal to 10 + the spell level in order to prepare or cast a spell gained from this feat.

IMO you should use one of the Domain Mage variants from UA/D20 SRD and apply it to a sorcerer for the most benefit basically a bonus fixed spell of each level to known spells and daily spellcasting.

Taking one or more of the sorcerer Heritage feats from Dragon (Believe it was Dragon #315) then your known spells also increase.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-05, 11:47 AM
The prerequisites are:

4 ranks in Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks & Spellcraft.
Matching the alignment of the Deity.

I am afraid that giving further details might prove to be be an IPR violation.

UserClone
2007-09-05, 11:51 AM
Well, specifically, I have a player who wants to be an arcanist, but also wants the Cure X wounds line of spells. Do you think it would be unbalancing to just let him learn them for free? I feel like it might not, because it would reduce the number of Disgustingly-Overkill Arcane spells he would know/cast at higher levels, but at the same time, that's a lot of healing in one day, possibly. FWIW, there is no divine caster in the party, nor an arcane one for that matter.

Edit: IPR?:smallconfused:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-05, 11:56 AM
Do you think it would be unbalancing to just let him learn them for free? ...FWIW, there is no divine caster in the party, nor an arcane one for that matter.

Since the party lacks a divine caster I think it could be a very good idea. It might reduce the downtime and you can still restrict from some of the healing spells if you like.

IPR = Intellectual Property Rights.

UserClone
2007-09-05, 11:57 AM
Technically speaking though, as long as you posted a copy of the OGL at the end of the post, you could post the feat in its entirety, couldn't you?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-05, 11:59 AM
Well, specifically, I have a player who wants to be an arcanist, but also wants the Cure X wounds line of spells. Do you think it would be unbalancing to just let him learn them for free? I feel like it might not, because it would reduce the number of Disgustingly-Overkill Arcane spells he would know/cast at higher levels, but at the same time, that's a lot of healing in one day, possibly. FWIW, there is no divine caster in the party, nor an arcane one for that matter.

Let him play a D20/SRD Vvariant Spellcaster limited known spells of a sorcerer but access to all spell lists.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm

UserClone
2007-09-05, 12:00 PM
Ooh. Perhaps I could let him use the Spontaneous Divine Caster from UA, and give him the Magic Domain. hmm...maybe...*strokes chin and thinks*

UserClone
2007-09-05, 12:01 PM
Let him play a variant Spellcaster.

IDK, IIRC it specifically mentions that it would be a BAD IDEA to combine the Generic classes with the PHB ones.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-05, 12:04 PM
IDK, IIRC it specifically mentions that it would be a BAD IDEA to combine the Generic classes with the PHB ones.

It's your game. It shouldn't be an issue till you hit level 14 or so.

woc33
2007-09-05, 12:04 PM
Complete Champion has a nice Variant for this, Domain Access - page 52.

UserClone
2007-09-05, 12:06 PM
I don't have it.:smallfrown:

Zherog
2007-09-05, 12:53 PM
Technically speaking though, as long as you posted a copy of the OGL at the end of the post, you could post the feat in its entirety, couldn't you?

No, because the material that would be quoted is not designated as Open Game Content. Doing so would be a violation of the terms laid out in the OGL.

UserClone
2007-09-05, 12:56 PM
But I thought that the "Crunch" was automatically OGL, and the Setting, Class Descriptions, Fluff, et al, was the violation, no?

Rex Blunder
2007-09-05, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't post it unless you can find it in d20srd.org or the like.

Zherog
2007-09-05, 01:03 PM
But I thought that the "Crunch" was automatically OGL, and the Setting, Class Descriptions, Fluff, et al, was the violation, no?

Whenever a company other than WotC uses anything covered by the OGL (which includes the SRD), they are obligated, by the terms of the license, to make that "whatever" open content as well.

However, those same terms effectively exempt WotC from having to release their material as OGC, because they are not basing any of their products on the SRD (which is OGC), but rather on the three core books (which are all closed content).

bottom line: the only material from WotC that's open content is the stuff in the official SRD, most of the material in Unearthed Arcana, and two creatures in Monster Manual 2.

And, of course, all these posts should carry the "I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV" disclaimer.

Reinboom
2007-09-05, 01:03 PM
Ooh. Perhaps I could let him use the Spontaneous Divine Caster from UA, and give him the Magic Domain. hmm...maybe...*strokes chin and thinks*

Or the Favored Soul (complete divine as well).

Just handing the Sorcerer the healing domain as free spells known if you don't have a healer won't be that much of an issue. They can't do both at the same time (you only have so many actions in a turn) and they use spell slots when casting anyways - spell slots that they are now dividing between the two halves. It may actually be 'nerfing' them a bit to put that much dependence on them.

Dausuul
2007-09-05, 01:11 PM
Yeah, there's no problem with letting a sorc take healing-type spells off the cleric list. Those spells benefit the entire party, so it won't make the sorceror overpowered relative to the others (and will in fact weaken him somewhat, since he'll have to save back some of his offensive firepower to heal).

It may make the party as a whole slightly stronger, but you can always up the CR of the encounters a bit to compensate.

Zherog
2007-09-05, 01:18 PM
(and will in fact weaken him somewhat, since he'll have to save back some of his offensive firepower to heal).

Not necessarily. Just by placing the spell on his spell list, he would be able to access wands and scrolls. He wouldn't even need to select the spell as a spell known.

Dausuul
2007-09-05, 01:26 PM
Not necessarily. Just by placing the spell on his spell list, he would be able to access wands and scrolls. He wouldn't even need to select the spell as a spell known.

Hmm, good point (assuming the wands and scrolls are paid for out of party cash rather than making the sorceror buy them out of his share). Still, it won't make him more powerful relative to the rest of the party, unless he decides to hold back all his healing for himself.

UserClone
2007-09-05, 01:27 PM
How about just allowing him to choose spells from the Healing Domain as spells known, but withoutincluding them on his actual UMD spell list unless he CHOOSES them? Balanced?

Fax Celestis
2007-09-05, 01:27 PM
There's also the CCham Domain Sorceror variant.

UserClone
2007-09-05, 01:45 PM
Again, while I appreciate suggestions from CCham and CDiv, I don't have them, and more than likely, never will. I am looking more for a balanced, your-personal-opinion, non-intellectual-property-of-the-evil-mages-by-the-shore way of giving a sorcerer the ability to heal, while still sorcerer-ing.

Edit: Can you tell I like hyphens?

Zherog
2007-09-05, 01:48 PM
In my opinion, putting the healing spells on the sorcerer's spell list will not make the sorcerer "overpowered" by any stretch.

Simple change, and gives you exactly what you want. The player could then opt to select those spells among his spells known (though in my opinion this would make him extremely weak), or he could use wands to heal while still doing his sorcerer schtick.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-05, 01:59 PM
Allow him to trade in his familiar to be able to get access to one domain worth of spells. If he takes the Healing domain, he's pretty much gold.

Of course, that's fairly sub-par, compared to what he could do. Strength or War domains give him Divine Power and Righteous Might respectively, which basically gives him all the benifits of Tensers Transformation, only still able to cast spells, at a lower spell level. War also gives him Magic Vestments to buff his party up with a few levels of War Weaver. +5 armor all day long (hours/level)? Yes please. Stack with GMW for even more goodness. Then get a Greater Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell, and a level of Archmage for Arcane Reach and Chain Reach Mind Blank.

Reinboom
2007-09-05, 02:10 PM
Again, while I appreciate suggestions from CCham and CDiv, I don't have them, and more than likely, never will. I am looking more for a balanced, your-personal-opinion, non-intellectual-property-of-the-evil-mages-by-the-shore way of giving a sorcerer the ability to heal, while still sorcerer-ing.

Edit: Can you tell I like hyphens?

I wouldn't even make them trade their spells known, just give them to him for free as known. Or perhaps cost a feat that gives all spells on the healing domain for free.
Once again, if he's covering a party role like so - it will be gimping him to cost his main features as well.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-05, 04:11 PM
Presclass into Rainbow Servant, you'll get all of them.

Ikkitosen
2007-09-05, 04:58 PM
Presclass into Rainbow Servant, you'll get all of them.

And lose 4 caster levels :smallannoyed:

Talking Crayon
2007-09-05, 05:25 PM
Spells

A sorcerer casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list.Bold is mine.
One could take that as allowing the Sorcerer to choose any arcane spells, for example, the Bard's Cure spells, as spells known.

Talya
2007-09-05, 07:31 PM
Bold is mine.
One could take that as allowing the Sorcerer to choose any arcane spells, for example, the Bard's Cure spells, as spells known.

Complete Champion has a sorceror variant that gets access to a domain at the cost of some spell slots I believe (or perhaps it is spells known.) In any event, you only lose 3 spell slots or spells known total--and those from levels 1-3, nothing higher--in exchange for getting an entire domain available to you.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-05, 08:03 PM
Bards and Sorcerers both cast arcane spells spontaneously.

In your game let the sorcerer find an unusual spell an Arcane Bardic "Healing" spell like CLW, CMW, CSW on a scroll and allow him to learn the spell that way as a unique spell meeting the requirement of the sorcerer class on page 54 top right paragraph of the PHB.