PDA

View Full Version : DM Help UE Weapon Groups and Multiclassing

Drakevarg
2018-05-16, 03:05 PM
As far as I can tell there's no RAW for this so I figured I'd quickly ask here while I'm busy writing up about 50 NPCs. When using the Weapon Groups variant rule from Unearthed Arcana, how does one usually handle multiclassing? For instance, when a Barbarian (who starts with Basic +3 groups) takes a level in Fighter (who gets Basic +4 groups), does it make more sense to give the Barbarian/Fighter 4 new weapon groups, or just one more to catch up with a straight Fighter?

I can see the merits of either logic, which is why I'm not just making a flat judgement call on the matter. Thought I'd get some outside opinions.

Bavarian itP
2018-05-17, 01:07 PM
Well, on one hand, a Fighter1/Barbarian1 with Basic+7 "feels" somehow wrong for me.

On the other hand, saving throw bonuses work exactly like that, too, per RAW: A Monk1/Fighter1/Barbarian1/Ranger1 will have +8 Fort on ECL4. And a lot of of wpn proficiencies are not going to make any character "overpowered", not even in a "Tier 5 only" game or so. Maybe, one could abuse things with chaos shuffle shenanigans, but if you allow this kind of stuff, again, there is no reason to worry about a Fighter/Barbarian.

So just use a rule that sounds reasonable.

Deophaun
2018-05-17, 04:26 PM
Giving characters lots of weapon group feats doesn't matter because martial don't actually use all the weapons available to them anyway. Someone who uses a greatsword isn't also going to carry around a battle axe, a long spear, a jovar, and a set of kukris. You generally have one to three weapon types that you settle on and any more become superfluous.

So, because it's the easiest solution and doesn't throw off game balance, let them stack. If you're worried about the dark chaos feat shuffle, then ban the dark chaos feat shuffle, as that's the only way this can be abused.