PDA

View Full Version : Spell selection advice

Hackulator
2018-05-16, 03:16 PM
Hey all, I'd like some advice on spell selection. The campaign is pretty crazy and I'll be playing a silver dragon using the dragon class from Dragon Magazine 320. However, unlike normal dragons, I get sorcerer casting levels for every HD. I'll be starting as a 4 HD dragon so I'll also be a level 4 sorcerer. I'm going to focus on physical combat and my breath weapon, and I'm wondering if there are any spells people would recommend other than obvious stuff like Mage armor. Preferably longer duration spells.

I'll also be the lead singer for a magical rock band so if you have any suggestions for spells that will help with that that would be cool to.

ColorBlindNinja
2018-05-16, 04:44 PM
If it isn't banned, Alter Self should be amazing on a dragon.

EDIT: Though, on second thought, a silver dragon's chassis might be good enough as is.

Hackulator
2018-05-16, 04:57 PM
If it isn't banned, Alter Self should be amazing on a dragon.

EDIT: Though, on second thought, a silver dragon's chassis might be good enough as is.

Yeah very little I could change into with that will be better than what I already have, though I will likely eventually take it for the ability to pose as other dragon types.

ColorBlindNinja
2018-05-16, 05:04 PM
Yeah very little I could change into with that will be better than what I already have, though I will likely eventually take it for the ability to pose as other dragon types.

Mirror Image would probably be a good pick for a melee combatant, then.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-16, 06:47 PM
The first of the Primal spells is available to you at this level. By itself, Primal Hunter for your character would be a Swift action to gain +5 on Climb, Jump and Swim with a 24 hour duration. Once you add Primal Instinct (Sorcerer 3rd) you get the benefit of that spell (+5 on Initiative, Survival, and one Knowledge) as well as Uncanny Dodge for having both spells up. Primal Senses (Sorcerer 4) adds +5 to Listen and Spot with 10 ft blindsense and Primal Speed (Sorcerer 6th) adds +5 Reflex Saves, +10 ft movement (all types), and improved uncanny dodge.

This chain of spells is something you would want to plan in advance which levels to pick up the various spells if you are going to get them.

theblasblas
2018-05-16, 11:31 PM
Get knowstones for all de spellzzzz.

Wings of Cover would be good, being a dragon allows you to shield others as well.

Hackulator
2018-05-17, 12:39 AM
The first of the Primal spells is available to you at this level. By itself, Primal Hunter for your character would be a Swift action to gain +5 on Climb, Jump and Swim with a 24 hour duration. Once you add Primal Instinct (Sorcerer 3rd) you get the benefit of that spell (+5 on Initiative, Survival, and one Knowledge) as well as Uncanny Dodge for having both spells up. Primal Senses (Sorcerer 4) adds +5 to Listen and Spot with 10 ft blindsense and Primal Speed (Sorcerer 6th) adds +5 Reflex Saves, +10 ft movement (all types), and improved uncanny dodge.

This chain of spells is something you would want to plan in advance which levels to pick up the various spells if you are going to get them.

Hmm, I was unaware of that spell chain, I will likely pick it up at some point, thanks.