PDA

View Full Version : Non racial darkvision?

MagneticKitty
2018-05-16, 04:15 PM
Here's the ways I know off the top of my head..

Magic items - not a good solution for me, as I can't guarantee getting one

Spell darkvision - my cleric (forge) won't get this spell by level up..

Class sources - can't be more than 3 levels because I wont dip more than that (I wouldn't mind this option. What matches best with cleric? My cleric's race will be warforged. My stats will be point buy)

Wildshape - I don't want to be animal form in a dungeon, can't cast spells.

Light cantrip... But seems counter stealth

I know gloomstalker, mystic, shadow sorcerer, raven queen warlock / invocation warlock get innate dark vision. Any classes or sources I'm missing?

HolyDraconus
2018-05-16, 04:44 PM
Here's the ways I know off the top of my head..

Magic items - not a good solution for me, as I can't guarantee getting one

Spell darkvision - my cleric (forge) won't get this spell by level up..

Class sources - can't be more than 3 levels because I wont dip more than that (I wouldn't mind this option. What matches best with cleric? My cleric's race will be warforged. My stats will be point buy)

Wildshape - I don't want to be animal form in a dungeon, can't cast spells.

Light cantrip... But seems counter stealth

I know gloomstalker, mystic, shadow sorcerer, raven queen warlock / invocation warlock get innate dark vision. Any classes or sources I'm missing?

If you can spare a feat or have a warlock/sorc/wizard at 1 you can pick up find familiar. One of its uses is that you can use its senses instead of your own. Cheese but it works.

Boverk
2018-05-16, 04:48 PM
Gloomstalker Ranger (From Xanathar's) 3 gets you super dark vision

Warlock 2 will get you an invocation which gives you darkvision

MagneticKitty
2018-05-16, 04:52 PM
If you can spare a feat or have a warlock/sorc/wizard at 1 you can pick up find familiar. One of its uses is that you can use its senses instead of your own. Cheese but it works.

"Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar's eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, "

Seems problematic for anything except keeping watch.

HolyDraconus
2018-05-16, 05:51 PM
"Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar's eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, "

Seems problematic for anything except keeping watch.

Still an option

Xihirli
2018-05-16, 06:27 PM
Shadow Sorcerer. Matt Mercer’s homebrew Bloodhunter class.

Pyramid Pug
2018-05-16, 06:27 PM
Some wizard traditions have it as a perk (transmutation and divination) as well being able to pick the spell at will. All those options would require a significant investment in levels tho which you already said you weren’t keen on.

As it stands, warlock invocation/patron or the gloomstalker seems like the best bet like ya mentioned.

Alternatively you could try and persuade your dm to make darkvision a ritual spell or to include it on your spell list. You’re Forge Domain, so perhaps during crafting some embers/sparks got lodged into your characters eyes and your deity apreciating the sacrifice granted the character access to the spell or even giving it as an ability. Would be thematically interesting.

MagneticKitty
2018-05-16, 06:44 PM
I forgot about blood Hunter. I'll look into that, thanks!

Naanomi
2018-05-16, 06:55 PM
You are a Forge Cleric... how stealthy are you anyways? When you get high enough level, just douse yourself in lamp oil and light it up for a hands free nonmagical light source

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-16, 07:07 PM
Alternatively you could try and persuade your dm to make darkvision a ritual spell or to include it on your spell list. You’re Forge Domain, so perhaps during crafting some embers/sparks got lodged into your characters eyes and your deity apreciating the sacrifice granted the character access to the spell or even giving it as an ability. Would be thematically interesting.

That would actually be pretty cool.

A Forge Domain Cleric who is 90% blind, because of a Forging accident. However, hide Deity appreciates his sacrifice and didn’t want him to give up his gift of Forging. So, as a gift of the Cleric’s devotion, the god turned their eyes a bright burning orange (As are the embers of the Forge) and they can see heat, effectively giving them Blindsight for a range of 30 feet.

MagneticKitty
2018-05-16, 07:19 PM
Only problem with blondsight is, doesn't it see through illusions? Might be op.

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-16, 07:47 PM
You can’t be tricked by Illusions if you can’t see them in the first place.

(Don’t correct me, I know my logic is horribly flawed)

MagneticKitty
2018-05-16, 08:11 PM
Yeah, and you see through invisability and magical darkness. That won't fly.

Pyramid Pug
2018-05-16, 08:28 PM
Could be just simple darkvision. Expanding on Large Bones Dragon concept, the deity interceded on the character’s behalf and replaced them entirely with embers, giving the character regular darkvision. The characters (old) eyes are now in a shrine and people are starting to think of it as a saint or otherwise marked by the diety, and are even starting to make pilgrimages to the shrine for good luck (mostly starting acolites and apprentice smiths). Could also be mechanically appropriate if your character is near or past lvl 10 with the divine intervention class skill.

KorvinStarmast
2018-05-16, 08:35 PM
Only problem with blondsight is, doesn't it see through illusions? Might be op. That typo made me want to toss out a bunch of silly jokes, but I didn't because my wife and both of my kids are blonde. :smallbiggrin:

A Fat Dragon
2018-05-16, 08:59 PM
If a character had the Blind condition, can they still have Darkvision and have it work correctly?

I guess you could just rule them as not being blind, but it’d be kind of cool if you had that disadvantage.

sophontteks
2018-05-16, 09:07 PM
Nightvision goggles.
Before you say its ridiculous, talk to a gnome about it.

Pyramid Pug
2018-05-16, 09:16 PM
If a character had the Blind condition, can they still have Darkvision and have it work correctly?

I guess you could just rule them as not being blind, but it’d be kind of cool if you had that disadvantage.

I’d say no. Blindness is the absence of visual processing as it were. Echo location, tremor sense don’t rely on visual stimulus so they aren’t affected by blindness. Darkvision however is simply being able to see in the dark.

A cat has darkvision, yet cats can be blinded for instance.

More interesting is the nature of illusions. Is it fake visual stimuli? Then folks with echo, tremor or other kind of spatial awareness wouldn’t be affected (tho they would if the illusion were to be casted as sound, which they can. Conversely illusions could be implanted directly in a creature’s mind and thus bypass physicall senses entirely being essentially figments, in that case how would a creature that never “saw” interpret visual hallucinations?

Pyramid Pug
2018-05-16, 09:17 PM
Nightvision goggles.
Before you say its ridiculous, talk to a gnome about it.

Our human rogue has those in our campaign (and yes, they were rewards from a gnome lol) :smallbiggrin:

the secret fire
2018-05-16, 10:15 PM
Shadow Monk gets access to Darkvision through ki, as well.

Why not just suck it up and roll with normal vision? The fact that you're even asking this question points to the fact that darkvision is far too common in the game, to the point that some people feel PCs without it are lacking. It's not that big a deal, and not worth any substantial investment of resources. Why not just figure out a way to make some goggles of night? You're a damn forge cleric, after all, so forge your way to victory!

MagneticKitty
2018-05-17, 12:15 PM
Shadow Monk gets access to Darkvision through ki, as well.

Why not just suck it up and roll with normal vision? The fact that you're even asking this question points to the fact that darkvision is far too common in the game, to the point that some people feel PCs without it are lacking. It's not that big a deal, and not worth any substantial investment of resources. Why not just figure out a way to make some goggles of night? You're a damn forge cleric, after all, so forge your way to victory!

The only problem with me forging them is that it's not written into the class. Depends on dm.

Also I might go artificer to get goggles since I'm a warforged might flavor as self modification.

And yes, night vision is a problem in 5e. But not having it is a problem for me and my playstyle.

Greywander
2018-05-17, 12:50 PM
Not having darkvision isn't as crippling as you might think. In dim light, you only have disadvantage on Perception checks that rely on sight, so fighting or sneaking generally won't be a problem (spotting patrols might be harder, so use your ears instead). It is only in darkness that you get disadvantage on attack rolls, but even that doesn't really affect sneaking.

So, if you're trying to sneak past creatures without darkvision, dim light will suffice. If you're trying to sneak past creatures with darkvision, go under total darkness, they'll still have disadvantage on vision checks (just be careful about getting into combat with them while in darkness). If light cantrips aren't your cup of tea, pick up a hooded lantern. I'm AFB, and I don't think Dancing Lights is on the cleric list, but that would be a stealthier light cantrip since it only creates dim light.

TLDR; don't worry about sneaking around in dim light or darkness, it's your enemies that need to see, not you. Use a hooded lantern when you do need some discrete light, and if you get pulled into combat while in darkness you can break out the Light cantrip.

Gydian
2018-05-17, 01:07 PM
If your playing a warforged than you have two sources for racial stats in 5e Unearthed Arcana and

http://www.eberron5e.com/creating-a-character/races/warforged

I love warforged and hated for a long time that they don’t have darkvision but I have one game where the DM allows me to use the build in the link above.

Theodoxus
2018-05-17, 01:17 PM
TLDR; don't worry about sneaking around in dim light or darkness, it's your enemies that need to see, not you. Use a hooded lantern when you do need some discrete light, and if you get pulled into combat while in darkness you can break out the Light cantrip.

Hello pit trap! Walking around in the dark isn't always problem free... but if you're certain there are no traps, you're not wrong.

It's interesting that this thread is "Darkvision is overrated" (which I agree with) but the "Feats suck!" thread is "OMG, if you don't have Darkvision, you're playing BADWRONGFUN!!!"

MagneticKitty
2018-05-17, 04:43 PM
If your playing a warforged than you have two sources for racial stats in 5e Unearthed Arcana and

http://www.eberron5e.com/creating-a-character/races/warforged

I love warforged and hated for a long time that they don’t have darkvision but I have one game where the DM allows me to use the build in the link above.

Is that official?
Sadly looks kinda op