PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Trickster antics.

urgeblind
2018-05-16, 05:59 PM
Hi there,
My name is Urge, and I have just become a 3rd level rogue, and am specializing as a Arcane trickster.

I've had a bit of a bully issue recently, this half orc fighter prone to violence and intimidation. He's not neccesarily a bad guy (lawful good), but he's certainly been opposed regarding my roguish antics (i.e. taking from the rich, causing mischief etc). He's held me by the neck before, and the day before he pushed me over.

I'd like to teach him a bit of a lesson with my newfound skills. I'm selecting my first spells now, but I'm looking closely at Mage hand (which is compulsory), Minor illusion, Find familiar, Sleep, Silent image.

So, I ask you, please help me to come up with some neat tricks to get my "friend" into a little bit of hot water, so to speak. Not too major, I don't want him to be killed or anything. Maybe something to make him realize that the law is not completely on his side.

So far, I've thought about pickpocketing the sheriff's keys, and putpocketing the key's on the half-orc, and bringing it to the sherrif's attention.
Or, I could forge a wanted poster for minor offences, and put it on the sheriff's desk.

What do you guys think? The more creative, the better!

Honest Tiefling
2018-05-16, 06:51 PM
Perhaps a different approach entirely. See, if you get your half-orc in trouble, you've been seen with him. Also, half-orcs aren't going to get a fair trial in most places, so if you stir up trouble he might get blamed for unrelated crimes to make the city watch look good. Can't solve a murder? Half-orc did it! Medals for everyone!

Instead, annoy him by being good. That money you have stolen? Donate it to a orphanage. Give some sort of sob story about being an orphan yourself (paladin-wannabes love sob stories). Break into places to see if there might be criminal activity, and don't take anything. That mischief? You're just being disarmingly charming, and trying to establish some contacts with criminals that can be redeemed or convinced to work for the good guys. Everyone deserves a second chance, right?

On a more serious note, getting your buddy framed is going to violate many a table's PvP rules. So if you want advice, you'll need to give us the low-down on how your group handles PvP, or we can't really help you.

Temperjoke
2018-05-16, 07:37 PM
If you pick Sleep, you could make him fall asleep while drinking, so he looks like a lightweight who can't handle his alcohol. That'll do some damage to his pride and reputation!

sophontteks
2018-05-16, 08:25 PM
Real guile is about using his personality to your advantage rather then joining in the same antics. Anything you do, if he knows its you, he's going to strangle you and your probably smart enough to see that. I would focus your energy instead on lying to him about your antics and tricking him into helping you do things he hates. Like a good rogue you would never reveal what actually happened, thus tricking him and avoiding strangulation.

He thinks he is on top, but your the one calling the shots. Thats an arcane trickster.

urgeblind
2018-05-16, 09:07 PM
Perhaps a different approach entirely. See, if you get your half-orc in trouble, you've been seen with him. Also, half-orcs aren't going to get a fair trial in most places, so if you stir up trouble he might get blamed for unrelated crimes to make the city watch look good. Can't solve a murder? Half-orc did it! Medals for everyone!

Instead, annoy him by being good. That money you have stolen? Donate it to a orphanage. Give some sort of sob story about being an orphan yourself (paladin-wannabes love sob stories). Break into places to see if there might be criminal activity, and don't take anything. That mischief? You're just being disarmingly charming, and trying to establish some contacts with criminals that can be redeemed or convinced to work for the good guys. Everyone deserves a second chance, right?

On a more serious note, getting your buddy framed is going to violate many a table's PvP rules. So if you want advice, you'll need to give us the low-down on how your group handles PvP, or we can't really help you.

Ha! That's pretty neat. We're in a little town with just one sheriff, and when it comes down to it, if he gets in too much trouble, we've got his back. It'll show him that the party is more important than the law. But yeah, don't wanna break DM's storyline.

Real guile is about using his personality to your advantage rather then joining in the same antics. Anything you do, if he knows its you, he's going to strangle you and your probably smart enough to see that. I would focus your energy instead on lying to him about your antics and tricking him into helping you do things he hates. Like a good rogue you would never reveal what actually happened, thus tricking him and avoiding strangulation.

He thinks he is on top, but your the one calling the shots. Thats an arcane trickster.
But don't worry, sophontteks, nothing I do would be attributed to me. Orc doesn't know I can cast magic yet. An invisible mage hand can allow me to get up to mischief enough, and not be found out as the perpetrator

the secret fire
2018-05-16, 09:27 PM
Embarrass him. Plant a rumor that he's a pervert who likes to stroke it in the street while wearing ladies underwear, and use illusion magic to have people occasionally see him in the act. Use prestidigitation on his clothing when he's not looking to give him suspicious wet spots. Steal some panties and plant them in his things. Pants him in public with an invisible mage hand.

Make sure to frame another spellcaster for everything.

sophontteks
2018-05-16, 09:30 PM
But don't worry, sophontteks, nothing I do would be attributed to me. Orc doesn't know I can cast magic yet. An invisible mage hand can allow me to get up to mischief enough, and not be found out as the perpetrator
Got it. Thought you were looking to pull his chair from under him or something.

urgeblind
2018-05-16, 09:31 PM
Embarrass him. Plant a rumor that he's a pervert who likes to stroke it in the street while wearing ladies underwear, and use illusion magic to have people occasionally see him in the act. Use prestidigitation on his clothing when he's not looking to give him suspicious wet spots. Steal some panties and plant them in his things. Pants him in public with an invisible mage hand.

Make sure to frame another spellcaster for everything.

I like it! This is the kind of thing I wouldn't have thought to do! thanks for that!

urgeblind
2018-05-16, 09:32 PM
Got it. Thought you were looking to pull his chair from under him or something.

I could do that with an invisible mage hand! That'd work ;)

Mercurias
2018-05-16, 11:30 PM
Use Mage Hand to relocate his stuff at night just to mess with him.

If he’s really a No-Magic Paladin personality, ditch him when he tries to tail you by using Minor Illusion to make him believe he’s hearing a call for help inside of the brothel.

Use Prestidigitation to place a nonsense mark on a nearby surface whenever the fighter starts acting like he’s suspicious. Use the same mark each time. Trick him into thinking a conspiracy is plaguing the town, and that the mark is their calling card. Make the mark disappear before the sheriff shows up so nobody knows what the fighter is talking about.

Use mage hand to tie his boot laces together.

Use mage hand to cop a feel on the person next to the fighter, then minor illusion the sound of his voice saying “Niiiiiiice,” to him or her. Use bonus action to hide.

Use prestidigitation to make his ale always taste like something bizarre. Get Bertie Botts levels of creative with it.

When he sticks his knife into his roast chicken dinner, use minor illusion to make him hear it give a small bark.

Ask your DM if they’ll let you use Silent Image to make the Orc look like he has ridiculous facial hair and makeup when he’s tryIn to make a serious impression.

Wat for the fighter to hit someone, then cast sleep on them and make him think he knocked them out cold.

Prestidigitation the word “Juicy” on the back of all of the fighter’s underclothes. On his official documents, see if the DM will let you use orestidigitation to change his signature to the same.

urgeblind
2018-05-17, 05:02 AM
Use Mage Hand to relocate his stuff at night just to mess with him.

If he’s really a No-Magic Paladin personality, ditch him when he tries to tail you by using Minor Illusion to make him believe he’s hearing a call for help inside of the brothel.

Use Prestidigitation to place a nonsense mark on a nearby surface whenever the fighter starts acting like he’s suspicious. Use the same mark each time. Trick him into thinking a conspiracy is plaguing the town, and that the mark is their calling card. Make the mark disappear before the sheriff shows up so nobody knows what the fighter is talking about.

Use mage hand to tie his boot laces together.

Use mage hand to cop a feel on the person next to the fighter, then minor illusion the sound of his voice saying “Niiiiiiice,” to him or her. Use bonus action to hide.

Use prestidigitation to make his ale always taste like something bizarre. Get Bertie Botts levels of creative with it.

When he sticks his knife into his roast chicken dinner, use minor illusion to make him hear it give a small bark.

Ask your DM if they’ll let you use Silent Image to make the Orc look like he has ridiculous facial hair and makeup when he’s tryIn to make a serious impression.

Wat for the fighter to hit someone, then cast sleep on them and make him think he knocked them out cold.

Prestidigitation the word “Juicy” on the back of all of the fighter’s underclothes. On his official documents, see if the DM will let you use orestidigitation to change his signature to the same.

Wow... those suggestions are great! Thanks Mercurias... you are truly a trickster master!