PDA

View Full Version : Crazy stupid magical weapon ideas

Ryblackadder
2018-05-16, 07:07 PM
I’m running a campaign that pits my player’s against a variety of very powerful challenges and to help them keep up I like to supply them with powerful but not world breaking magical items. They’re going to try to rob a beholder in their next session and I was wondering if any of you have any ideas for some... exotic items to find there. Either extremely powerful weapons of warfare to horribly cursed items they’ll wish they never found, anything is free game! If you’re feeling really generous you can tell me your favorite beholder quirks to make the crazied magic monster even more interesting!

ProsecutorGodot
2018-05-16, 07:22 PM
Nothing beats Craven Edge (http://criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/Craven_Edge) as far as "very powerful but oh god I need to get rid of this right now" is concerned.

In my Campaign's I've made a sentient magic staff that doubles as a magical longbow, Glaives that have charges to maximize damage from the Polearm Mastery Bonus attack and a cursed pendant that allows temp HP to be rolled at a short or long rest but amplifies your character flaw to an insufferable degree.

Bonus points if the beholder is wearing the amulet.

I don't think you even need to look outside of the DMG though, if you want the items to be above the curve just start combining magical item effects until you feel it's reached the desired level of strength.

CTurbo
2018-05-16, 08:11 PM
The Berserker's Axe is always a fun one. You can always alter the +1/+2/+3 to fit whatever power level the party is at.

I homebrewed a version of the Berserker Axe and called it the Rage Axe. Also cursed.
Anytime you take damage while holding the Rage Axe, you make a DC15 Con save. On a fail, you immediately enter a rage as if you were a 5th level Barbarian. (extra attack if you didn't already have one, +10ft movement speed, +3 to damage, resistance to melee damage). While raging, anytime you take damage, you make a DC15 Con check. On a fail, you enter a Frenzy. While in a frenzy, you auto pass(or have immunity to) all mental saves and auto fail any Dex save, and can only take the attack or dash action after which you can make one attack with your bonus action. Rage ends as normal, but you can only end a Frenzy by falling unconscious OR being healed back to max hit points which merely puts you back in a regular rage. If you entered a frenzy, you gain one level of exhaustion once your rage ends. If you're already a Barbarian, you skip going into a rage and go straight into a frenzy. You also gain the Retaliation feature which lets you make an attack as a reaction when you are hit by an attack.

So yeah it's a lot to chew on but I've used it twice in two different campaigns and the players loved it. It was a +1 magical item in one campaign and a +3 magical item in another. It's a lot more party friendly as it doesn't make you attack your friends like the Berserker Axe does.

I also homebrewed some unnamed Plate armor that grants the wearer total immunity to all physical damage(bludgeoning, slashing, piercing, and force), but has vulnerability to Cold, Fire, Lightning, Thunder, Acid, or Poison. Radiant and Necrotic were unaffected. I've also done a simplified version that was immune to slashing and piercing, but vulnerable to bludgeoning.

Vogie
2018-05-16, 08:50 PM
There are tons of neat magical weapon ideas out there.

Fragarach - This versatile sword ignores immunity & resistance to slashing damage. Once per short rest, if the sword is held near the throat of a creature and the command word is used, the creature can't speak a deliberate lie.

Gravity Hammer - This +3 Maul alters how gravity itself effects it's wielder. You can use a bonus action on your turn to cause gravity to let you go, immediately before or after you make a weapon attack. Doing so allows you to fly up to 10 feet without provoking opportunity attacks. Also, while the hammer is on your person, you count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity.

Null Staff - This +2 Quarterstaff also has a 5 ft Antimagic aura, essentially a small Antimagic Field, centered on the staff, at all times. The staff itself is not effected by the field.

Quietus Spike -+2 dagger. Once per short rest, if you take the Attack action on your turn and have advantage on an attack roll against one of the targets, you can forgo the advantage for that roll to make a melee spell attack. On a hit, you afflict the creature with a disease of your choice, as the spell contagion.

BLC1975
2018-05-17, 08:18 AM
I’m running a campaign that pits my player’s against a variety of very powerful challenges and to help them keep up I like to supply them with powerful but not world breaking magical items. They’re going to try to rob a beholder in their next session and I was wondering if any of you have any ideas for some... exotic items to find there. Either extremely powerful weapons of warfare to horribly cursed items they’ll wish they never found, anything is free game! If you’re feeling really generous you can tell me your favorite beholder quirks to make the crazied magic monster even more interesting!

Hi, I think AJ Pickett recently updated his Beholder Lore video on Youtube...it will give you a ton of ideas for sure.