PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spellslinger 5E

JNAProductions
2018-05-16, 10:13 PM
Based on this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?327549-The-Spellslinger-3-P-base-class-PEACH) creation by the ever-lovely Jor.

HIT POINTS
Hit Dice: d8
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8+Con mod
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (5)+Con mod

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: Light
Weapons: All simple, firearms
Tools: Any one artisan tool

Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skills: Pick two from Acrobatics, Stealth, Sleight of Hand, Arcana, Investigation, History, Persuasion, Deception, Intimidation, Perception, and Insight.

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
-(a) Two spellslinging revolvers or (b) a spellslinging rifle and holdout revolver
-Any melee weapon you are proficient in
-Any one pack
-Leather armor and a dagger

Spellslinger

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Cantrips Known
Spells Known
Spell Slots
Slot Level

1st
+2
Spellslinging
-
-
-

2nd
+2
Spellcasting

3rd
+2
Archetype

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement

5th
+3
Extra Attack, Improved Spellslinging

6th
+3
Dive Attack

7th
+3
Archetype Feature

8th
+3

9th
+4
Seeker Bullets

10th
+4
-

11th
+4
Archetype Feature

12th
+4

13th
+5
Improved Dive Attack

14th
+5
-

15th
+5
Archetype Feature

16th
+5

17th
+6
Phasing Bullets

18th
+6
Perfect Dive

19th
+6

20th
+6
It's High Noon

Spellslinging-At level one, you are able to weave together magic and gunfighting into a seamless art. After any turn in which you cast a cantrip, you may also make a single attack with a gun as a bonus action. This attack does not add your Dexterity modifier to the damage roll.

In addition, you can replace the range of any cantrip you cast with the range of your gun.

Spellcasting-As Warlock. Int-Based. See table.

In addition, as per Spellslinging, you may replace the range of any spell with the range of your gun. If it's a single-target spell, the target is whoever is shot. If it's an AoE, it is centered on the point you shoot. Shooting an AoE into long range grants advantage on any saves made against the spell, and imposes disadvantage on any damage rolls (roll the damage rolls twice, taking the lower). Hitting a point in space is a spell attack against AC 5, modified as per cover as normal. On a miss, roll 1d8, with 1 being north and going around the directions clockwise. The center of the spell scatters 1d8-your proficiency bonus squares away. Self-range spells that are offensive, such as Burning Hands, are simply fired from your gun, no range modifications. And self-range buff spells may be cast on others by shooting them.

Your gun does NOT do any additional damage as part of shooting a spell, it simply modifies the range.

Archetype-At level three, you choose whether you wish to be a Sheriff or a Brigand.

Ability Score Improvement-Usual levels, usual deal.

Extra Attack-Usual deal, at level five.

Improved Spellslinging-At level five, you may now add your Dexterity modifier to your bonus action attack from spellslinging.

Dive Attack-At level six, you may make awesome, if somewhat impractical, dive attacks. By leaping into cover, you may Hide as a bonus action at the cost of falling prone, while using your action to attack with your guns (with magic or bullets, your choice).

Seeker Bullets-At level nine, your guns ignore the effects of half cover, and treat three-quarters cover as half instead.

Improved Dive Attack-At level thirteen, you no longer have to fall prone after making a Dive Attack. Awesome sound effects and over-dramatic actions are still encouraged, however.

Phasing Bullets-At level seventeen, your bullets can pass through solid matter till hitting their intended target. You may fire through solid objects, completing ignoring half and three fourths cover, and even total cover (though you need some way of knowing what to target, and will generally have disadvantage on an attack roll against a target you cannot see). The only exception is anything that blocks Ethereal effects.

It's High Noon-At level twenty, you may, once per short rest, cast two spells as an action.

Sheriff

The Law-At level three, you learn the spell Hunter's Mark, and may cast it once per short rest at level 1 without expending a spell slot.

Hostage "Negotiator"-At level seven, you may ignore cover created by intervening creatures.

Aegis Of Morality-At level eleven, you gain a +1 to AC while wearing armor.

Protective Shot-At level fifteen, you may spend your reaction to attempt to shoot someone's attack out of the way. Impose disadvantage on a single attack roll made by anyone within short range of your weapon.

Brigand

Marked For Death-At level three, you learn the spell Hex, and may cast it once per short rest at level 1 without expending a spell slot.

Outrun The Law-At level seven, you gain a 10' bonus to your move speed.

Hit 'Em Hard-At level eleven, you may add your casting stat to any damage rolls you make with spells.

I'm The Important One!-At level fifteen, you may use your reaction to swap places with someone adjacent to you when targeted by an attack. Make a Dexterity (Athletics) check contested by their Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If you succeed, you swap places. The attack this was made in response to you must target the same square you were in before, but subsequent attacks can target you, if you are still in range.

Acid Splash
Chill Touch
Dancing Lights
Firebolt
Frostbite
Gust
Light
Mage Hand
Produce Flame
Ray Of Frost
Toll The Dead
Bane
Bless
Burning Hands
Catapult
Chaos Bolt
Chromatic Orb
Color Spray
Command
Compelled Duel
Dissonant Whispers
Ensnaring Strike
Faerie Fire
Guiding Bolt
Longstrider
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Ray Of Sickness
With Bolt
Aganazzar's Scorcher
Blindness/Deafness
Crown Of Madness
Earthbind
Flaming Sphere
Hold Person
Melf's Acid Arrow
Mind Spike
Phantasmal Force
Ray Of Enfeeblement
Scorching Ray
Snilloc's Snowball Swarm
Web
Bestow Curse
Conjure Barrage
Counterspell
Daylight
Dispel Magic
Fear
Fireball
Haste
Lightning Bolt
Melf's Minute Meteors
Sleet Storm
Slow
Stinking Cloud
Banishment
Compulsion
Confusion
Evard's Black Tentacles
Grasping Vine
Ice Storm
Phantasmal Killer
Storm Sphere
Vitriolic Sphere
Cloudkill
Cone Of Cold
Conjure Volley
Contagion
Dawn
Destructive Wave
Dispel Evil And Good
Enervation
Flame Strike
Hold Monster
Immolation
Negative Energy Flood
Passwall
Steel Wind Strike
Telekinesis

Guns!

The revolver does 1d10 piercing damage, a range of 60'/240', and has a 6 shot capacity.

The rifle does 1d12 piercing damage, a range of 150'/600', and a 12 shot capacity.

Reloading either is an action.

Critiques welcome. This was whipped together pretty quickly, so I know it can be made better.

nickl_2000
2018-05-17, 07:10 AM
What spells are available to the Spellslinger?

The cantrip ability at level 1 seems really powerful. Especially since you could choose Booming Blade, hit from a distance and then make a second attack. I almost feel like this should be a level 3-5 ability, then you can add your dex bonus to it at level 10 where you only get a spell bonus.

Protective Shot-At level fifteen, you may spend your reaction to attempt to shoot someone's attack out of the way. Impose disadvantage on a single attack roll made by anyone within short range of your weapon.

I would rebrand this as
Covering Fire- At level fifteen, you may spend your reaction to lay down a distracting covering fire. Impose disadvantage on a single attack roll made by anyone within short range of your weapon.
I'm not sure why, but I like the branding of this a little better.

Guns!
I would explicitly say that the revolver is a single handed weapon and the rifle is two handed. I know that the class isn't able to use shields, but it would still be helpful.

A few possible feat ideas
Pistol Expert
You are an expert with a revolver.
You have learned to feather the hammer and can make an extra attack as a bonus action.
Also, when your revolver runs out of bullets you can drop a new clip in as a reactions.

Rifleman
You're training with the rifle has made you an expert in all uses of it.
You have modified your rifle to attack a bayonet, it is a finesse weapon. You can make a melee attack with it for 1d6+dex damage with it.
You can reload your rifle as a bonus action instead of an action
When firing from a prone position you do not have disadvantage on the attack and your range is 300/600 instead of 150/600

I like this, though I wonder in play just how powerful the ability to change you range could be. I mean being able to drop a fireball on a group of people from 600ft away is pretty wicked.

cavalieredraghi
2018-05-17, 09:48 AM
Also, why have Spellcasting be a second level feature, even though they have cantrips at first level?

Also should there be any additional rules for what happens if your spellslingers break or they are lost?

JNAProductions
2018-05-17, 10:03 AM
Because they get a feature for use with cantrips at level one.

Added spell list.

nickl_2000
2018-05-17, 01:06 PM
Because they get a feature for use with cantrips at level one.

Added spell list.

Okay, at first I thought Toll the Dead didn't fit... Then I thought about a Gunslinger waiting for the toll of noon to start a gunfight and that's amazingly perfect. Also, the cantrip list does take care of some of my worries with Booming Blade, although I would still absolutely be looking at a High Elf since it would be so powerful for this class.

I know it's a Paladin thing, but the Find Steed spell would be perfect here too. What's a gunslinger without his faith horse?

JNAProductions
2018-05-17, 01:29 PM
Okay, at first I thought Toll the Dead didn't fit... Then I thought about a Gunslinger waiting for the toll of noon to start a gunfight and that's amazingly perfect. Also, the cantrip list does take care of some of my worries with Booming Blade, although I would still absolutely be looking at a High Elf since it would be so powerful for this class.

I know it's a Paladin thing, but the Find Steed spell would be perfect here too. What's a gunslinger without his faith horse?

I'm a touch hesitant to give that spell to them. Just a gut feeling.

nickl_2000
2018-05-17, 01:32 PM
I'm a touch hesitant to give that spell to them. Just a gut feeling.

I can understand that, but you are limiting the power if you only give them Find Steed and not Greater Find Steed. Still, it isn't a big deal either way.

leogobsin
2018-05-23, 07:27 AM
This seems to be implicit in the design but if this gets a more complete writeup I'd be sure to specify that a firearm can be used as a spellcasting focus. Also my instinct says the guns should probably drop down a damage die (so d8 for revolver, d10 for rifle). The suggested Renaissance weapons in the DMG have the same damage, but lower range and Loading, so dropping these down seems more balanced.
I'd have to look at the spell list more closely to really judge, but the ability to cast self-range buffs through your guns feels like it could be OP. I'd probably say the ally has to be within the short range of your gun, or maybe require you make a spell attack roll to do so (with disadvantage if they're beyond short range).
Other than that, I'm into it!