PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Reincarnation question for 3.5

Zexionthefirst
2018-05-17, 12:19 AM
Reincarnation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm) states:

A reincarnated creature recalls the majority of its former life and form. It retains any class abilities, feats, or skill ranks it formerly possessed. Its class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and hit points are unchanged. Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores depend partly on the new body. First eliminate the subject’s racial adjustments (since it is no longer of his previous race) and then apply the adjustments found below to its remaining ability scores. The subject’s level (or Hit Dice) is reduced by 1. If the subject was 1st level, its new Constitution score is reduced by 2. (If this reduction would put its Con at 0 or lower, it can’t be reincarnated). This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means.

In a recent game, I had a player die. The party druid is planning on using the spell Reincarnate on the dead character. Is the spell description giving me the order of operations in which things happen, I.e. you don't change the hit points and base attack at the start, when you're dealing with the racial adjustment shift, but one you drop that hit dice off you will drop hitpoints, base attack, ect...?

Or, is it saying that this spell is an exception to the general HD lose rules?

Basically, dose our party sorcerer lose base bonuses and spells know?

I'm so sorry is this question has been answered before. I did a quick google search and couldn't find an answer. Thank you all in advance.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-05-17, 12:37 AM
Make the adjustments for the new race then remove one level just like you would for being brought back by raise dead.

Kayblis
2018-05-17, 03:59 AM
Permanently losing a level is just that, losing a level as if you never got it in the first place. Casters lose one caster level and the spell slots they gained, and you lose any class features from the level you lost. You lose BAB and saves. But that's all after you "remake" your character with the new race's stats - that is, you don't get any RHD, as it's mentioned by your BAB/saves/hitpoints not changing. You lose race-specific traits like a Dwarf's darkvision and CON/CHA mods, and gain whatever the new race has.

Zexionthefirst
2018-05-17, 04:35 PM
Thank you both so much. That's what I thought at first, then I sorta over analyzed and convinced myself I was wrong. I've got it squared away now.