PDA

View Full Version : Module free AL games?

ZorroGames
2018-05-17, 06:02 AM
Okay, I get that modules are a great boon to DMs (in Sacramento 1980s then Seattle 1980s I averaged 20-40 hours planning and setting up for monthly games in the 0D&D thru early 2nd AD&D homebrew days,) and I get they are considered “balanced” for AL players.

My question is, if you follow AL guidelines/rules, can players credit those games to their log sheets or must the games be considered not AL but “homebrew” instead?

I guess it is “What defines the line between AL legal free form gaming and non-AL homebrew gams?” That might be a better question.

Unoriginal
2018-05-17, 06:40 AM
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you can't do module-free AL stuff.

Well, unless you don't consider the supplementary adventures they publish for AL to be modules.

PeteNutButter
2018-05-17, 10:01 AM
Only AL mods and published books are AL legal. This is for balance and magic item reasons. No one wants a level 5 Paladin showing up at a convention with a holy avenger.

Ventruenox
2018-05-17, 10:31 AM
I am fairly sure that there are AL-legal non-module adventures available through conventions and then run by those creators only afterward. (Might be mistaken about the second part)

Kyrinthic
2018-05-17, 12:52 PM
Lots of different options on what you can run for AL, but you must run something that is from the official content catalog for AL for a game to be AL legal. No freeform AL. On the other hand, some hardcovers (SKT and TOA for example) have large sections of fairly freeform adventure inside of them.

Theodoxus
2018-05-17, 01:36 PM
Are you taking the character to a different AL locale or convention? If not, gameplay is less enforced. There are a couple tables at my FLGS that use the AL rules (PHB+1, PB only, etc) but there is a verbal contract that the characters aren't "AL legal" for other events. We still use the logs and track xp, gold and magic items, but mix tiers (there might be a level 5 character with a bunch of 2s and 3s, or a table of 3rd through 6th level characters), go off script from written modules or even grant instant level boons so a new character doesn't get insta-gibbed in the first fight.

We also have "pure" tables, where everything is strictly AL enforced and logged - for those who do enjoy convention and sanctioned play.

I would be shocked if most stores don't do something similar, since the whole AL thing is an honor system anyway.