PDA

View Full Version : A Rock Gnome

Garfunion
2018-05-17, 03:16 PM
The rock gnome subrace seems to be extremely lackluster compared to its counterpart the forest gnome.
The forest gnome can easily mimic most of the Tinker feature with their class abilities(minor illusion).

How does everyone else feel about this subrace?

Grear Bylls
2018-05-17, 03:39 PM
The rock gnome subrace seems to be extremely lackluster compared to its counterpart the forest gnome.
The forest gnome can easily mimic most of the Tinker feature with their class abilities(minor illusion).

How does everyone else feel about this subrace?

I love playing rock gnomes! My paladin, Saint Nick, has survived in AL through ToA, since December. The con is more useful for certain martial IMO, and some trinkets have uses. Other than that, you're right

Garfunion
2018-05-17, 05:17 PM
Nobody else wants to voice their opinion on the lonely rock gnome?

Tanarii
2018-05-17, 06:26 PM
They rock.

I've seen a few melee EK rock gnomes. They're fairly effective and Dex is a dump stat so ...

Minor Illusion can't start fires, and it cant operate outside of range. That said, I agree Tinker as written is ridiculously limited. IMO its primary purpose it to gain access to Tinker's Tools and then combine that with Artifice Lore or straight Int checks to make designs not explit in the Feature.

Mortheim
2018-05-18, 12:31 PM
I think both subraces are great. They feel unique and distinctive. For me it depends what suits best for character.

iTreeby
2018-05-18, 02:19 PM
They get the oh so rare int bump plus advantage on magic saves, I think the tinker tools proficiency make the fabricate spell quite a blast and you can make other gadgetry if the DM permits. I think the rock gnome is undervalued