PDA

View Full Version : How does Magic Initiate spells work with spells known

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-17, 03:56 PM
Just curious if spells from this feat count against something like Bard Spells known?

Talionis
2018-05-17, 04:01 PM
Just curious if spells from this feat count against something like Bard Spells known?

They are an extra spell and do not count against your class spells known. But whether you can cast it with your Bard or other class spell slots is a bone of contention.

DMThac0
2018-05-17, 04:03 PM
As it is not explicitly stated otherwise, this is a special ability. You can cast that 1st lvl spell one time per long rest. This would be a special ability granted by the feat rather than part of your class/spells known list. Similar to Sharpshooter where you may choose the -5 penalty for the +10 damage, rather than it's always active.

8wGremlin
2018-05-17, 04:08 PM
The wording on the magic initiate (MI) is very important as are the spell casting rules for some classes.

Magic initiate allows you to 'Know' an additional 1st level spell from another class (or your own)

Some classes - Bard, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster (I think, afb) Spell casting is written in a way that allows them to cast any spell they know with their slots.

Combining the two of these means that if you use MI with those classes you get your 1/long rest casting as per normal.
and you can cast the spell with your own slots if need be.

- I suggest you read the spell casting rules for those classes and compare to the spell casting of pure casters, there are subtle but important differences.

PhantomSoul
2018-05-17, 05:50 PM
Magic initiate allows you to 'Know' an additional 1st level spell from another class (or your own)

As a pedantic note (and not disputing any of the actual content), since the distinction can be useful: the feat itself uses neither "know" nor "additional" (instead it's "In addition [to the cantrips]" and "you learn").

M a g i c I n i t i a t e
Choose a class: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or
wizard. You learn two cantrips of your choice from that
class’s spell list.
In addition, choose one 1st-level spell from that same
list. You learn that spell and can cast it at its lowest
level. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before
you can cast it again.
Your spellcasting ability for these spells depends
on the class you chose: Charisma for bard,
sorcerer, or warlock; Wisdom for cleric or druid: or
Intelligence for wizard.

This is relevant since you could easily have DMs with other interpretations (including that the feat says "you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again" rather than "you must finish a long rest before you can cast it in this way again"). Also importantly, you don't get a literal spell slot, you get a casting of that one spell. (But I'd heard DMs be flexible about that aspect too.)

Sage Advice has a section for this feat in particular, which is helpful for clarification of an aspect that can get confusing:

If you have spell slots, can you use them to cast the 1stlevel
spell you learn with the Magic Initiate feat?
Yes, but
only if the class you pick for the feat is one of your classes.
For example, if you pick sorcerer and you are a sorcerer, the
Spellcasting feature for that class tells you that you can use
your spell slots to cast the sorcerer spells you know, so you
can use your spell slots to cast the 1st-level sorcerer spell
you learn from Magic Initiate. Similarly, if you are a wizard
and pick that class for the feat, you learn a 1st-level wizard
spell, which you could add to your spellbook and subsequently
prepare.
In short, you must follow your character’s normal
spellcasting rules, which determine whether you can
expend spell slots on the 1st-level spell you learn from
Magic Initiate.

But for the OP, the question is simpler: nope! :)