PDA

View Full Version : PlayerProblems now DmProblems great...

Foxolicious
2018-05-17, 05:34 PM
Time to rant sorry guys n gals

So I dm'd a game for 1.5 years and I was rather flexible. One of my players played a vengeance paladin after helping our friend create a cleric with the deity of helm which was ok even though it annoyed the cleric but after playing for awhile he wanted to add some flavor to his character n have a unholy weapon given to him by his which I didn't have a problem with.he gave me the status of it and I altered them to make it balanced
It was a kurisamgama or how ever u spell it a weight on one end and a sickle on the other attached by a magical chain which would allow it to retract I minused 5 off the range so it was less then a throwing weapon which he complained about. He also wanted this weapon to grapple enemies which I said was fine but it would be the same rules as any grapple which he was ok with until he fought big creatures then he complained again..... Then he wanted to make his weapons n armor +1's and +2's which I said sure but u have to sacrifice souls to do so which he agreed with and then complained I set the amount to high. After playing this game for 1.5 years it finally wrapped up

On to this player becoming a dm I made a lore bard with not a whole lot of damage spells but alot of effect spells or utility spells
Game 1 problem
I used unseen servant to pick up something and he said it couldn't and only I could not extensions of my self so yay waste of a spell
Game 2 problem
He made a creature attack us in magical darkness we had a tiefling who used devil's sight so he could attack n the dm decided to just take this away so we were all blind
Game 2 more
We faced a magical Rabbit samurai who would jump into the magical darkness and we would not get attacks of opportunity so when I finally saw him I cast puppet making him run up to his full movement dropping his weapons and allowing all of my party members to get attacks of opportunity which he responded with ok his weapons are magical n can not be dropped which I responded with mmmm k and then he told me he's going to use his reaction to attack all of my party whenever they attack so my response was so he gets 5 reactions? And he said yeah this is his legendary action

Pretty much every effect or utility spells I use is negated for some reason or doesn't work within the rules

Plz tell your opinion on this dm and player

holywhippet
2018-05-17, 05:39 PM
You only need one word to resolve all of your problems with him: "Goodbye".

MagneticKitty
2018-05-17, 05:57 PM
Puppet does not provoke opportunity attacks. Only when a creature uses it's own movement. Not is forced to move.

But yeah I'd find a new game. Taking away someone's ability without telling them just not to take it in the first place is annoying. Poor warlock.

Not that I agree with your DM style either.

GlenSmash!
2018-05-17, 06:38 PM
Newbie DMs make mistakes. I know I sure did.

Talk to them about how you are unhappy with options you should be able to use from the books being negated.

If you can't come to a consensus it's best to part ways.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-05-17, 07:11 PM
Sometimes the best way for a new DM to learn is having all his players tell him his campaign sucks so bad they're done with it. He'll either amend his ways or stop running games altogether. If he's that bad, either one is an improvement.

Foxolicious
2018-05-17, 07:30 PM
Sometimes the best way for a new DM to learn is having all his players tell him his campaign sucks so bad they're done with it. He'll either amend his ways or stop running games altogether. If he's that bad, either one is an improvement.

unfortunately he's not a new DM he has great story ideas ill give him that but when it comes to mechanics it seems to lean towards him.

Does any one know which page of the PHB forced movement doesn't allow attacks of opportunity people have told me about this but i've never found the page.

Consensus
2018-05-17, 08:29 PM
Doesn't matter if he's not a new DM if his explenativeness outweighs his good stories

Samayu
2018-05-17, 09:26 PM
Sounds like this guy is a newbie who thought his monsters would be a bigger challenge. Tell him he needs to find ways to up the challenge on the fly that don't involve changing the rules.

Grear Bylls
2018-05-17, 09:40 PM
I feel you brother. At the game store I go to, a new DM was starting a game, and I joined. He completely nullified anything unique I could do (not explicitly RAW, so fine), but also anything RAW I could do. It sucked. And he was experienced Next session I couldn't come. Next next session, everyone else joined the other game at the store. That's kind of how it works. Crappy DM, no one wants to be with them. Their group just fizzles into nothingness.

If this guy is just starting to get the ropes though, I would address your grievances with, see what he thinks of them, and help him improve. If he still doesn't, then I'd walk out.

opaopajr
2018-05-17, 09:57 PM

Yup, listen to this advice. :smallcool: Someone is playing out power fantasies and expect you guys to be a passive audience. Walk away, no one forces you to watch the poo-poo show. :smallsmile:

Jerrykhor
2018-05-18, 02:49 AM
Terrible as a player, even worse as a DM. Easy decision, isn't it?

StoicLeaf
2018-05-18, 05:36 AM
Re: your DMing style.
Err. I suppose it depends on the flavour of the world you're playing in but asking players to spend souls to make +1 weapons is .. really wonky.

Re: his DMing style.
1) the unseen servant. So without more information, it's hard to see what the root problem is here. It could be that he wanted you to go towards the item you wanted to pick up and unseen servant messed that up. Nerfing unseen servant is pretty meh, I agree, he could have perhaps said "there's an antimagic field!" or "it's too heavy for the servant to lift".

2) The darkness. I like the idea but the implementation needs to be special. Something that can cast something even a devil can't see through has to be extremely exotic/dangerous, if he didn't set the adventure up in that way then yes, I agree, he dicked you guys over.

3) the vorpal rabbit. So technically the rabbit could have more than 3 legendary reactions, each being a "when hit, hit back" affair. The weapons that can't be dropped is kinda lame, he could have just let the rabbit punch you instead.

There's a commonly posted flow-chart on reddit, but the jist of it is: talk to the guy.
You even say that he has good story ideas, it just sounds like his execution is poor; that's something that can be improved upon.
If neither side is willing to compromise then yeah, go find a different group.

Foxolicious
2018-05-18, 08:44 AM
Re: your DMing style.
Err. I suppose it depends on the flavour of the world you're playing in but asking players to spend souls to make +1 weapons is .. really wonky.

Re: his DMing style.
1) the unseen servant. So without more information, it's hard to see what the root problem is here. It could be that he wanted you to go towards the item you wanted to pick up and unseen servant messed that up. Nerfing unseen servant is pretty meh, I agree, he could have perhaps said "there's an antimagic field!" or "it's too heavy for the servant to lift".

2) The darkness. I like the idea but the implementation needs to be special. Something that can cast something even a devil can't see through has to be extremely exotic/dangerous, if he didn't set the adventure up in that way then yes, I agree, he dicked you guys over.

3) the vorpal rabbit. So technically the rabbit could have more than 3 legendary reactions, each being a "when hit, hit back" affair. The weapons that can't be dropped is kinda lame, he could have just let the rabbit punch you instead.

There's a commonly posted flow-chart on reddit, but the jist of it is: talk to the guy.
You even say that he has good story ideas, it just sounds like his execution is poor; that's something that can be improved upon.
If neither side is willing to compromise then yeah, go find a different group.

His +1 weapon were ok because by his character never taking magical weapons it was ok n he had to sacrifice souls only he has killed so it balanced out a little

I am talking to him tomorrow about my and other players issues

Thanks for all the help n support guys

MagneticKitty
2018-05-18, 09:46 AM
unfortunately he's not a new DM he has great story ideas ill give him that but when it comes to mechanics it seems to lean towards him.

Does any one know which page of the PHB forced movement doesn't allow attacks of opportunity people have told me about this but i've never found the page.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/08/would-the-movement-caused-by-dissonant-whispers-be-willing-or-unwilling-movement/

Upon researching it, seems specifically to be who's turn or action is used.
If the spell forces them to move on their own. Turn or with their own action it counts. It if it's moving during your turn it doesn't count.

holywhippet
2018-05-19, 06:05 AM

It should be on page 195 at the end of opportunity attacks. Puppet is an odd spell since, unlike dissonant whispers, it doesn't force them to use their reaction to move and thus don't provoke AoOs.

jaappleton
2018-05-19, 08:34 AM
Holy run on sentence, Batman!

You have two options, really.

1. Talk to the new DM. Because it seems to be combative at this point, they seem to think the game is Players VS DM. That's not how it should be. Its DM presents the world to you, players interact, DM is referee between the players actions and how the world reacts. And I'm letting you know now, you need to approach HOW you talk to the DM very carefully. If you're combative, they'll be defensive, and nothing is going to get done. It'll likely just get worse if you aren't careful.

2. Tell 'em to piss off, see you later.

Foxolicious
2018-05-19, 10:51 AM
Holy run on sentence, Batman!

You have two options, really.

1. Talk to the new DM. Because it seems to be combative at this point, they seem to think the game is Players VS DM. That's not how it should be. Its DM presents the world to you, players interact, DM is referee between the players actions and how the world reacts. And I'm letting you know now, you need to approach HOW you talk to the DM very carefully. If you're combative, they'll be defensive, and nothing is going to get done. It'll likely just get worse if you aren't careful.

2. Tell 'em to piss off, see you later.

I agree with ur first point I see the DM as a story teller and the players as the characters within the story the players vs DM thing annoys me because I've heard of the same DM say things like I could have killed you so easily and just picked u off one by one which I retorted with that's not the point of DND.

As for point number 2 I would like for him to get better as a DM before I say screw it I'm out