PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade/Fighter build thoughts and help

Nerdicus
2018-05-17, 06:16 PM
Building up an Adventure League Half Elf Hexblade Str 8, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 18 (with Elven Accuracy). Focusing on maxing Nova Damage. My plan is:

Lvl 1: Fighter 1. Benefits : Con Save, Fighting Style (Dueling), Second Wind
Lvl 2: Warlock 1. Benefits : Hexblade Warrior and Curse, Pact Spell, Cantrips /Pact Spell: 1st Level (1)
Lvl 3: Warlock 2. Benefits : Invocations /Pact Spell: 1st Level (2)
Lvl 4: Warlock 3. Benefits : Pact of the Blade, Improved Pact Weapon /Pact Spell: 2nd Level (2)
Lvl 5: Warlock 4. Benefits : Elven Accuracy /Pact Spell: 2nd Level (2)
Lvl 6: Warlock 5. Benefits : Thirsting Blade, Eldritch Smite /Pact Spell: 3rd Level (2) (allows for 8 hr Hex) (Current lvl)
Lvl 7: Fighter 2. Benefits : Action Surge
Lvl 8: Fighter 3. Benefits : Martial Archetype, Battle Master (Feinting attack) (Goal Level)

I figure at lvl 8 this allows my character to get 4 Attacks at triple Advantage (Feint, and Elven Accuracy) and Improved Crit Range (Hexblade Curse), +8 (+4 Cha, +3 Prof, +1 Improved Pact Weapon), Dmg: 1d8 (weapon) + 1d8 (feint) +1d6 (hex) +4d8 (Smite, planning to only expend on critical hits) +10 (+4 Cha, +3 Hex Curse, +1 Imp Pact, +2 Dueling)

Between the Feint (to gain advantage and extra d8), Elven Accuracy (for 3rd die role on advantage), and Hexblade Curse (19-20 crit) I'm maxing out my chances to get a crit, where Dmg is 12d8 + 2d6 +10 (24-118 dmg). This attack can be maxed 2 times per battle. And between the warlock and fighter all abilities can be regained each short rest.

So thoughts on the build? And anyone have suggestions for where I should take this after lvl 8?

Thanks!

CircleOfTheRock
2018-05-18, 12:40 AM
Just a thought - if you take your first level in Fighter, and your STR is 8 (or even with a DEX of 12), you’ll probably be miserable until level 2.

Crgaston
2018-05-18, 12:50 AM
Just a thought - if you take your first level in Fighter, and your STR is 8 (or even with a DEX of 12), you’ll probably be miserable until level 2.

+3 to hit and damage with a Rapier, ac 15 and 13 hp? There are worse ways to spend your first 300 xp.

Looks like a solid combat build to me.

CTurbo
2018-05-18, 01:11 AM
You need a 13 in Str or Dex to multiclass out of fighter. I recommend starting 14 Dex and 14 Con instead.

Vogie
2018-05-18, 09:32 AM
You need a 13 in Str or Dex to multiclass out of fighter. I recommend starting 14 Dex and 14 Con instead.

This is correct.
Right now, if you want this build to work, it'd have to be Hexblade for 4 levels, getting the ASI to bump Dex up to unlock the ability to Multiclass to fighter. I would assume after Warlock 5 for the extra attack. You would then be able to pick up Elven Accuracy at Fighter Level 4, or Warlock level 8 - so you could get it as early as level 8 (Warlock 4, fighter 4) or as late as level 9 (Warlock 5, fighter 4)

Nerdicus
2018-05-18, 10:45 AM
Well I'm currently lvl 6 in adventure league, so no worries about the first lvl. Also since I took Fighter 1st, i don't need a 13 in dex or str, only 13 in Cha to take warlock. Plus taking fighter first gives me Constitution as a saving throw, which is much better for making Concentration checks to hold hex. And i'm thinking i'll go to lvl 4 fighter (level 9 overall) and take the ASI before looking at other classes. Then thinking maybe rouge to start collecting sneak attack dice?

And current AC is 20 (+2 Dex, Breastplate, and found a +2 shield)

Nerdicus
2018-05-18, 10:47 AM

My bad actually have 14 Dex

CTurbo
2018-05-18, 01:31 PM
Well I'm currently lvl 6 in adventure league, so no worries about the first lvl. Also since I took Fighter 1st, i don't need a 13 in dex or str, only 13 in Cha to take warlock. Plus taking fighter first gives me Constitution as a saving throw, which is much better for making Concentration checks to hold hex. And i'm thinking i'll go to lvl 4 fighter (level 9 overall) and take the ASI before looking at other classes. Then thinking maybe rouge to start collecting sneak attack dice?

And current AC is 20 (+2 Dex, Breastplate, and found a +2 shield)

Just for future reference, you DO need to meet the multiclass requirements for the class you're starting in, AND the class you're multiclassing into.