PDA

View Full Version : Wall 2.5 ft high?

SangoProduction
2018-05-17, 06:36 PM
What does a 2.5 ft wall accomplish, mechanically? How does it impair movement, being about waist-height (for a human)?

Necroticplague
2018-05-17, 06:44 PM
What does a 2.5 ft wall accomplish, mechanically? How does it impair movement, being about waist-height (for a human)?

Provides cover, at least.

Low Obstacles and Cover
A low obstacle (such as a wall no higher than half your height) provides cover, but only to creatures within 30 feet (6 squares) of it. The attacker can ignore the cover if he’s closer to the obstacle than his target.

SangoProduction
2018-05-17, 06:55 PM
Provides cover, at least.

Is that sentence missing an "is" at the end? Or does it literally never provide cover, due to needing to be between the attack and defender to do so, but that always makes the target further than the obstacle?

DarkSoul
2018-05-17, 07:10 PM
The sentence is correct, and the attacker can ignore the cover if they're closer to the cover than their target. If they were both on the same side of the wall it wouldn't provide cover to either of them.

I would also rule that squares containing a low wall like this are difficult terrain with a DC 10-15 jump (long jump with a 20' running start; DC 20 for a shorter running start) or tumble check to ignore the difficult terrain.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-17, 07:29 PM
You should read it that the attacker can ignore the cover if the distance between the attacker and the obstacle is less than the distance between the target and the obstacle. "the attacker can ignore the cover if he’s closer to the obstacle than his target [is]."

You probably read it as the attacker can ignore the cover if the distance between the attacker and the obstacle is less than the distance between the attacker and the target. "the attacker can ignore the cover if he’s closer to the obstacle than [he is to] his target."

heavyfuel
2018-05-17, 07:58 PM
A 2.5 ft wall is a vertical surface and needs a climb check to be overcome. Since you climb at a quarter your speed, the wall will make anyone attempting to cross it waste 10 ft of movement.

DarkSoul
2018-05-17, 08:11 PM
A 2.5 ft wall is a vertical surface and needs a climb check to be overcome. Since you climb at a quarter your speed, the wall will make anyone attempting to cross it waste 10 ft of movement.A 2.5 foot wall is cleared by a DC 10 running long jump check. DC 12 if you want to be sure.

heavyfuel
2018-05-17, 08:32 PM
Which also costs 10 feet of movement, and only works for Medium creatures (dwarves might even be in trouble). If you are medium, it's two different ways to achieve the same thing.

Three ways if you remember you can "Hop Up" with a DC 15 Tumble check instead of a DC 10 Jump check.

denthor
2018-05-17, 10:21 PM
In my teen years a 2.5 foot wall was a fun obstacle to clear. I am now in my late 40's a wall that size is a timing challenge in it own right.

The game does not take age into account very much but mechanical things are there.

In the civil war here in the US a small wall had to be knocked down it took about a minute. I would grant archers away from the wall a round of attack of opportunity fire. If acrobatic or jumping skill dc 15 not used.

Climbing would get you over dc 10 with a round of fire.

heavyfuel
2018-05-17, 11:01 PM
In my teen years a 2.5 foot wall was a fun obstacle to clear. I am now in my late 40's a wall that size is a timing challenge in it own right.

The game does not take age into account very much but mechanical things are there.

Sure it does!

If you have average Str scores, in your mid and late teenage years you'd have a score of 10. With a modifier of 0, you could easily Take 10 on that Jump check.

Now you're middle aged. That's -1 to Str, and your modifier dropped from 0 to -1. You can no longer Take 10. And since you don't want to risk jumping it like a maniac and falling, you now Take 20 to climb it.

It's a perfect example! :smallbiggrin:

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-17, 11:15 PM
Sure it does!

If you have average Str scores, in your mid and late teenage years you'd have a score of 10. With a modifier of 0, you could easily Take 10 on that Jump check.

Now you're middle aged. That's -1 to Str, and your modifier dropped from 0 to -1. You can no longer Take 10. And since you don't want to risk jumping it like a maniac and falling, you now Take 20 to climb it.

Interesting point. But does it take height into account? I'm 6'4" and a 2'6" wall is something I don't really need to jump to clear.

SangoProduction
2018-05-17, 11:16 PM
Sure it does!

roflmao. I love it.

hamishspence
2018-05-18, 11:21 AM
Interesting point. But does it take height into account? I'm 6'4" and a 2'6" wall is something I don't really need to jump to clear.

That would probably be the "difficult terrain" version - slowing down to step over it, rather than climb it in any way.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-18, 11:56 AM
That would probably be the "difficult terrain" version - slowing down to step over it, rather than climb it in any way.
But a short human doesn't treat a 2.5 ft wall as difficult terrain while a tall one treats it as normal terrain.

hamishspence
2018-05-18, 02:58 PM
My idea was that human of most heights treat it as difficult terrain, a halfling treat it as something that requires a Climb check, and a Giant treat it as irrelevant.

Size should make a difference to how terrain is treated - what's difficult terrain for a human, does not have to be difficult terrain for a Giant.

Nifft
2018-05-18, 03:05 PM
Sure it does!

I want this awesomeness as an example in the official books.