PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other RE: Monster game help

liquidformat
2018-05-17, 06:54 PM
Hi all so I am wanting to pull the Re: Monster world into 3.5 mechanics. Doing so will require some homebrew races and flipping a few things on their head.
Since this will start off as a goblin game where goblins 'evolve' into other monsters (going with bugbear, ogre, ogre mage, and skullcrusher ogre) I will jump into my concept for their evolution. First off I dislike humanoid/monstrous humanoid/giant RHD and don't see the point of them. So Instead I was thinking using goblin as the base chassis and using a bloodline'esk level adjustment to evolve goblins.

goblin take a +1 LA after reaching 3 HD gain: medium +6str, +2Con +1na Scent becoming a bugbear.

goblin take +1 LA after 2 HD gain: medium +4Str,-2Dex,+2Con,-2Int +2NA (become bugbear~ish) +1 LA after 4 HD gain: Large +8Str,-2Dex,+2Con,-2Int,-2Cha +3na becoming an Ogre.

goblin take +1 LA after 3 HD gain: medium +4Str,-2Dex,+2Con,+1NA, Two-Weapon Fighting (become bugbear~ish) +1 LA after 5 HD gain: Large +8Str,+4Con,+1na, Improved Grapple (Ogre~esk) and +1 LA after 8HD gain: "+4Str, Rock Throwing becoming a Skullcrusher Ogre.

and similar for a Ogre Mage, though even dumping the 5 RHD 5 LA seems like overkill much less 7 LA, would 4 LA make sense one after every HD?

My question is after scrapping the RHD do these level adjustments and HD between them make sense?

rferries
2018-05-17, 08:13 PM
Hi all so I am wanting to pull the Re: Monster world into 3.5 mechanics. Doing so will require some homebrew races and flipping a few things on their head.
Since this will start off as a goblin game where goblins 'evolve' into other monsters (going with bugbear, ogre, ogre mage, and skullcrusher ogre) I will jump into my concept for their evolution. First off I dislike humanoid/monstrous humanoid/giant RHD and don't see the point of them. So Instead I was thinking using goblin as the base chassis and using a bloodline'esk level adjustment to evolve goblins.

goblin take a +1 LA after reaching 3 HD gain: medium +6str, +2Con +1na Scent becoming a bugbear.

goblin take +1 LA after 2 HD gain: medium +4Str,-2Dex,+2Con,-2Int +2NA (become bugbear~ish) +1 LA after 4 HD gain: Large +8Str,-2Dex,+2Con,-2Int,-2Cha +3na becoming an Ogre.

goblin take +1 LA after 3 HD gain: medium +4Str,-2Dex,+2Con,+1NA, Two-Weapon Fighting (become bugbear~ish) +1 LA after 5 HD gain: Large +8Str,+4Con,+1na, Improved Grapple (Ogre~esk) and +1 LA after 8HD gain: "+4Str, Rock Throwing becoming a Skullcrusher Ogre.

and similar for a Ogre Mage, though even dumping the 5 RHD 5 LA seems like overkill much less 7 LA, would 4 LA make sense one after every HD?

My question is after scrapping the RHD do these level adjustments and HD between them make sense?

If all the PCs are playing monsters and advancing at the same rate I'd minimise or waive the LA; they'll all be equally powerful so it's just a pain to deal with.