PDA

View Full Version : Interest check: 5e class archetype contest

MoleMage
2018-05-18, 12:17 AM
So we have contests for 3.5 base class, 3.5 prestige class, and now for 5e base class, but no contest as yet that I have seen for 5e class archetypes.

So just out of curiosity who would be interested in participating in such a contest and if you would be, what themes would you like to see.

If I ran it I would probably alternate between themes and specific classes that the archetype had to be for (contest 1 is a theme, contest 2 is clerics, contest 3 is a theme, so on) but if people are against class-specific contests I would also like to know that.

Protato
2018-05-18, 12:45 AM
I'm wanting to do another Barbarian subclass myself. I'd be alright with a theme or class, but I'd be okay with not having them, as well, although this is just my opinion.

Blackbando
2018-05-18, 06:14 AM
Sure, I'd be interested in joining that. Base classes take too long for me to be interested in doing one for a contest, but a subclass is definitely up my alley (as one can see by my abundance of them I homebrew).

As for theme or not? I think a theme is a good idea, honestly. Gives us some interesting material to work with, if the theme's something neat (like maybe basing subclasses on professions, or something).

JNAProductions
2018-05-18, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I'd be down.

demonslayerelf
2018-05-18, 09:16 AM
Depends on the amount of time we have to brew. But in concept? Sure.

MoleMage
2018-05-18, 10:23 AM
I told myself that five people would be enough to get this rolling, so we're 80% of the way there after less than 12 hours.

For the first theme, I have a couple of ideas. Add your own or chime in on pro/con for these:

It is Written: Theme of destiny. Destined heroes or villains, prophets, maybe even people who fight fate.
Something Borrowed: A subclass that adds core features from a different class, like Eldritch Knight, Divine Soul, or Arcane Trickster.
Grab Bag: Something for the first contest. Anything goes.
It's Technical: Theme of technology, engineering, or mechanics.

I'm also trying to uphold the forum tradition of giving witty names to themes. Some of them will be better than others.

Depends on the amount of time we have to brew. But in concept? Sure.

I was thinking maybe 4 weeks for the contest, then 2 weeks for voting, during which time I would plan the next contest. I believe that is the typical format used by other contests.

Blackbando
2018-05-18, 10:46 AM
It is Written: Theme of destiny. Destined heroes or villains, prophets, maybe even people who fight fate.
Something Borrowed: A subclass that adds core features from a different class, like Eldritch Knight, Divine Soul, or Arcane Trickster.
Grab Bag: Something for the first contest. Anything goes.
It's Technical: Theme of technology, engineering, or mechanics.

It Is Written sounds like it could be very interesting. Gives me Favored Soul vibes, in a way.

Something Borrowed has potential to either be really interesting (cleric with sneak attack is a fun idea i might experiment with) or really boring, depending on how people take it.

I'm not a huge fan of Grab Bag, simply because I prefer themes for contests. And, also because I make a few subclasses a week and need new ideas that don't come from my head.

It's Technical could be very interesting. I always enjoy technological subclasses, and have even devised a mechanic for my campaigns for technology-based caster subclasses, so perhaps I'll bring that in, if we do that.

Aside from Grab Bag, I'd be fine with any of these. I'm going to also suggest a terrible, terrible theme. You're welcome.

Refine Mayhem: Your subclass must be a revision of either a base class or subclass from dandwiki. It does not need to copy mechanics, but must at least copy the main idea.

You're welcome.

demonslayerelf
2018-05-18, 10:55 AM
I'm mostly with Bando, but I have a theme suggestion of my own.

It came from Beyond...: Your subclass must be themed around space, aliens, or something similar.

Morphic tide
2018-05-18, 01:05 PM
Have some ideas:

Hold the Line: Subclasses based on being largely stationary, whether by being long-ranged so they require little movement, short ranged hardpoints like Polearm Mastery Sentinel Spirit Barbarians, or other such "I Will Stand Here" subclasses.

So You Don't Have To: Subclasses based on handling stuff for other people, like a Bard or Rogue specializing in Aid, or a Sorcerer built to provide spell slots for other characters. A Druid who eats damage for other characters would also fit.

Calling Card: Subclasses focused on summoning symbols, whether it be a circle that summons a long-term guard for an area, etching runes into people to infuse them with the power of Outsiders(/Fey/Elementals) or even just a mercenary lord.

From Zero To Hero: Subclasses based directly on being common persons outside of typical "Hero" material, such as an Artificer focused on mundane blacksmithing, a Druid with agricultural skills or a Bard who still relies on stage "magic".

Jama7301
2018-05-18, 01:12 PM
I'd be interested in this. Seems like a solid way for me to improve, and a structured theme/environment may help with that.

Requilac
2018-05-18, 02:07 PM
I would definitely be interested, but I doubt I am going to have to have the free time to run for the 1st competition. I am already hosting the base class competitions and running two different (surprisingly successful) PbPs, so I don’t think I can make it this time. That being said, I would love to do it in the future.

MoleMage
2018-05-18, 02:37 PM
Alright that's 5 (plus future 6).

Chat thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?559110-D-amp-D-5e-Subclass-Contest-Chat-Thread
Contest thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?559109-D-amp-D-5e-Subclass-Contest-I-It-s-Technical&p=23081646#post23081646

Went with It's Technical for the first contest. Saved a list of all the other ideas in the chat thread, except Grab Bag since everyone preferred specific themes.