PDA

View Full Version : Quickblade [Magic Item]

Tormsskull
2007-09-05, 03:56 PM
The Quickblade is a weapon I created in a campaign of the past. I thought I'd share it to see if anyone had any comments about it or wanted to use it.

Quickblade, +3 shortsword
Abilities:
Greater Improved Initiative: When wielded, the wielder receives a +8 bonus to initiative. This bonus DOES NOT stack with the Improved Initiative feat.
Instant Strike: Should the wielder of the Quickblade win initiative in the first round, he may immediately move up to double his speed and make a single attack with the Quickblade. Regardless if the attack is successful or not, the wielder of the Quickblade instantly travels back to their starting position, and then acts as normal.

The Quickblade was last seen in the position of Drake Forester, renegade prince of Tyrlion.

Draken
2007-09-05, 04:05 PM
"Two move actions" in this case means a full round action used to make a double movement? Because in this case you should review the description, clean it up a bit.

KillianHawkeye
2007-09-05, 04:34 PM
I agree. I'd suggest "he may immediately move up to double his speed and attack".

Also, does that mean he then gets to take another full round of actions right away? If so, that's pretty powerful. What would the cost/prereqs be to make or buy one?

Yeril
2007-09-05, 06:05 PM
Just saying, while the "Move double your speed and make a single attack." seems kinda "ooooooooh"

Its just a charge without the +2 to hit and -2 ac.

Id suggest changing it to

anytime he wins first ainitiative at the start of a battle, he gains an extra move action for the one round.

Arakune
2007-09-05, 06:30 PM
Just saying, while the "Move double your speed and make a single attack." seems kinda "ooooooooh"

Its just a charge without the +2 to hit and -2 ac.

Id suggest changing it to

anytime he wins first ainitiative at the start of a battle, he gains an extra move action for the one round.

and let's not forget that after he move double his speed and make a single attack, he can act normally again as if he never did anything.

Tormsskull
2007-09-06, 01:16 PM
"Two move actions" in this case means a full round action used to make a double movement? Because in this case you should review the description, clean it up a bit.

Good idea. In my tabletop games I simply explain it to people face to face, but when I write it down I know that people can only evaluate it by the words that I use, and thus I try to be extremely explicit, which sometimes gets confusing. I'm trying to make sure that the reader knows that they cannot use the 2 extra move actions (or 1 full round action) to do anything other than move.

I agree. I'd suggest "he may immediately move up to double his speed and attack".

That sounds better than my original, but is there anyway to make sure that someone wouldn't misinterpret "attack" to mean "attack action" and thus think they could fire off a spell in that instant action?

Also, does that mean he then gets to take another full round of actions right away? If so, that's pretty powerful. What would the cost/prereqs be to make or buy one?

Yes it does, and I know it is very powerful. When initiative is won (which has a better than not chance of being the case due to the bonus), the character makes an initial free attack against the enemies.

As far as making one, in my campaign this weapon was considered a legendary item, made long, back when Wizards were at the peak of their power and could make things like this with a lot of hard work. I'd consider it a minor-minor artifact.

I probably didn't write it clear enough. If the wielder wins initiative, they can make 1 attack against an enemy within their double move range before initiative actually begins. In essence, if the wielder wins initiative, they get to act in Round 0 (but only to move and attack with the sword, they cannot cast a spell, cannot ready an action, etc, etc).

and let's not forget that after he move double his speed and make a single attack, he can act normally again as if he never did anything.

Yep. The wielder is transported back to their starting location even.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll try to clear up the language I used in the description.

Dhavaer
2007-09-06, 07:10 PM
That sounds better than my original, but is there anyway to make sure that someone wouldn't misinterpret "attack" to mean "attack action" and thus think they could fire off a spell in that instant action?

Say 'attack with the Quickblade' instead of just 'attack'.

Icewalker
2007-09-06, 09:57 PM
I like it, and can especially see a BBEG with it. Funtime!

Cool idea, and I may be influenced by a crazily high power campaign, but to me it seems slightly weak to be on par with artifacts. It's just one free attack after all.

Tormsskull
2007-09-07, 06:42 AM
Say 'attack with the Quickblade' instead of just 'attack'.

Sounds good, thanks.

Cool idea, and I may be influenced by a crazily high power campaign, but to me it seems slightly weak to be on par with artifacts. It's just one free attack after all.

Artifacts in my campaigns are truly powerful, unlike most of the normal artifacts in D&D. As such they rarely if ever show up in a campaign. A Legendary Item is the equivalent of a minor-minor artifact IMC, meaning that I can allow PCs to obtain weapons that are pretty powerful but not world-sundering powerful.

Also, in the hands of a rogue (or anyone with sneak attack) that initial attack from winning Initiative can be very deadly, depending on how the DM rules (I ruled that the initial attack qualified for sneak attack since the enemy was considered flat-footed).