PDA

View Full Version : Putting some pieces together

ZorroGames
2018-05-18, 08:29 AM
Based on questions I asked and subjects discussed in other threads I am asking some questions about AL versus homebrew “AL all but in official recognition” gaming.

Do you who homebrew stay close as possible to AL or do you homebrew because you want to step away from AL specifically?

This has the assumption you choose not to limit to PHB+1 or you use UA or some form of 3.x/4 classes/rules or a design for games that clearly are out of the AL gaming.

Specifically, I am looking at things like gunpowder that are in the DMG but never seem to show up in hardcover books or modules. I am sure there are things like that in the DMG consciously designed for non-AL games possibly or planned for “someday” hardcover/module play that are in actuality unlikely to see publishing in any near time frame.

Second, I see much AL gaming in local shops all around the Saint Louis area during the week but it is less visible to see non-AL games. The nearest shop, for example, rents rooms for gaming and I wonder if most non-AL games there are in those rooms?

Are most of your non-AL games run at home or at local shops? Are they as much supported by local sites as AL games?

My main playing shop has nights specifically set aside for D&D, Pathfinder, Magic and other games but I get the impression (strictly my impression, nothing overt,) they are more supportive of “official”versions like AL in the free open space.

Yes, the California thread really has me thinking of the cool factor for players and DM with a limited presence of gunpowder weapons in a game. Not ready to DM a non-AL game at this time because of the work involved but it is making me think about those kind of “not yet seen in AL games” aspects.

Gracias.

JoeJ
2018-05-18, 12:51 PM
I homebrew because I enjoy creating fictional worlds. I neither stay close to AL nor deliberately avoid it. On the contrary, I don't pay much attention at all to what AL does. I find the idea that there should be one "official" setting to be an odd one, maybe in part because I started playing before there were any published settings.

ZorroGames
2018-05-18, 05:03 PM
I homebrew because I enjoy creating fictional worlds. I neither stay close to AL nor deliberately avoid it. On the contrary, I don't pay much attention at all to what AL does. I find the idea that there should be one "official" setting to be an odd one, maybe in part because I started playing before there were any published settings.

You had me at “creating... worlds.”

Started with 0D&D in 1973 (+/-)

The only “setting” was the rules.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-05-18, 05:30 PM

Chalk me up on this as well--I homebrew because what I love the most is creating something, letting others mess with it and see what happens. See what they do to it, how they react to it, how they change it.

I don't pay any attention to AL at all. I play two types of games--

* Home games with colleagues. I recently finished a stint as DM, now we're playing (with someone else as DM) PotA with no AL restrictions.
* Highschool club games (I'm a teacher). I DM 2-ish groups a school year in my setting and at the end of a year I add their adventures to the official setting. Thus, those who play for several years see NPCs that were familiar characters and the changes they made the previous year are still around. They love this. It's like a persistent world where their actions shape things. And I've let them make some large changes by their actions.

Armored Walrus
2018-05-18, 05:30 PM
I'm with JoeJ on this one. AL is irrelevant to my engagement with the hobby. I've actually never played a game in a game store or at a convention. All my games have either been home games, or online.

Bubzors
2018-05-18, 06:52 PM
Add me to the list that AL is completely irrelevant to my involvement with D&D. Been playing for years with multiple groups, but it has always been homebrew worlds, playing at some ones home.

Most of the time I DM and create items, monsters etc.. But I'm not even sure what AL rules for that would be

doc225
2018-05-18, 06:59 PM
I home-brew because I have trouble with scheduling, and it's easier for me to run in my own home. I also like a little bit of freedom, as AL rules can be a little constricting for me.

(I'm in Saint Louis, as well, btw. cool beans!!)