PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What makes a Good Player?

ShadowImmor
2018-05-18, 10:30 AM
As a fairly long time RPer, and someone who always want's to improve, I thought this would be an interesting question, however it may require clarification.

When I say a Good Player, I mean if you were a GM for any system, what would you want in a player? Is it someone who knows the all the rules, but doesn't abuse them? Is it someone who is willing to learn? Is it someone who focuses on RP?

I don't want to get bogged down in the Optimization vs Roleplay arguments that can appear, as I don't believe either side is inherently better than the other.

Can you include reasons why as well? So if you say "Someone who knows the rules" is a good trait to have, explain why, i.e. "Because it means they can help other players who don't know the rules so well."

Ninja_Prawn
2018-05-18, 10:36 AM
This may be influenced by the fact I mostly do play-by-post on the forum, but... things I like in a player: attentive, enthusiastic, can be trusted not to abuse rules loopholes or metagame knowledge. Doesn't pick fights with other players. Doesn't post drunk. If you've got all of that, I'll be happy.

Specter
2018-05-18, 10:39 AM
I'm a simple DM. Any player who pays attenrion at all times, even when they're not involved, is a good player.

Gastronomie
2018-05-18, 11:09 AM
Anything that makes a good person. In short, being kind and respectful to the other players and DM.

This first includes the obvious "don't"s - not bragging, or trying to overshadow everyone, or be rude, or otherwise behaving in a way that disrupts the fun and entertainment of the game (this being the basic line for any player who wishes to be allowed to stay in the campaign).

The second level comes to bringing your own extra charms to the table, which can include being humorous, creative, good at RP, and overall being a nice guy to hang out with.

Most of the "bad player" stuff are more like "bad people to hang out with", and the same goes for "good players" and "good people" as well.

Honest Tiefling
2018-05-18, 11:09 AM
This may be influenced by the fact I mostly do play-by-post on the forum, but... things I like in a player: attentive, enthusiastic, can be trusted not to abuse rules loopholes or metagame knowledge. Doesn't pick fights with other players. Doesn't post drunk or high. If you've got all of that, I'll be happy.

Fixed that for you. But I am going to add something I think lots will disagree with. Basic system mastery. If you are a little iffy on some rules, that's fine, the DM and other players can hopefully help you. I can deal with a player who forgets what the levels of exhautstion do. But if I have to keep repeating basic rules such as saving throws, we are probably going to have a bad time.

Also, the ability to understand the fact that the DM controls the world would be nice. You can make suggestions, but if I tell you that your paladin with no knowledge skills needs to make a roll, well, that's what it is. DnD isn't usually that collaborative. Don't sigh and roll your eyes when I tell you how the damn rules work!

KRSW
2018-05-18, 11:22 AM
Listening and fully trusting both the DM and every other player at the table. I don't have much experience playing with total strangers at conventions so I cant say in that situation. I just play with friends and as long as the players work together most of the time that's overall good. When they aren't working together if they are still doing something interesting or funny for the table or adds something to the campaign then that's still good.

Honestly, I am in the same boat as you and I would say that something everyone could work on if they are interested in being a better player is just work on voices.

Edit - didnt add in the "why" answer

Trusting that the DM will always be fair and if they are doing something strange with your character its all in the interest of fun for you. That is whats important to me, and a lot of that comes from good communication between the player(s) and the DM. For example, you need to trust that the dungeons traps will not immediately kill your character when you venture into a labyrinth where no one else has ever come back from. Trusting that the party rogue wont **** your group over with stealing loot and you cant do anything about it besides OoC or with meta knowledge.

Also, a player that will never ever argue anything besides outside of the game is important. Accepting rulings in game and then maybe disputing them out of game is like a godsend, seriously. Like say your character is prone, and you want to stand up and dash, accepting that the DM doesn't know the correct rules for this and they make you only move 30ft instead of 45ft like you should have. Not arguing right at that moment makes the game much more enjoyable for everyone I think. (This happened to me and I was the player, yes I argued and I regretted it immediately.)

CantigThimble
2018-05-18, 11:32 AM
There are two things I really care about:

1. Know your own character's abilities. Know what they do, know how many times you can use them and (ideally but not necessarily) have some idea of how they synergize with other characters' abilities. Pay attention to when situations come up where your character's abilities would be really useful, but don't shoehorn them in, especially if another character has abilities that are better suited to the challenge at hand. Be ready to use your character but also be willing to step back when someone else should have the spotlight.

2. Roleplay whatever character you want, but play them constructively. Want to play an honor bound knight? Great, roleplay that honor in a way that gets your character, and the party as a whole, to take action and move the plot forward, not come to a deadlock or start chasing your own tails. Want to play a spontaneous idiot who misunderstands what people tell him and just does his own thing sometimes? Even that can work, as long as you, the player, choose carefully what to misunderstand and when he does off the wall stuff. With good timing and judgement on your part, your character's idiocy can be a fun contribution to the game rather than dragging down everything as the party pulls you out of trouble again.

Another part of this point is that you, the player, are responsible for avoiding a deadlock where two party members refuse to compromise or other inter-party conflict. If absolutely refusing to work with the thief is what your paladin would do, then it is your fault as the player who made that character for making him in such a way, and allowing him to get into such a situation. It is your responsibility to make a character who can play well with the rest of the party. This doesn't mean no inter-party conflicts, but it does mean that there needs to be some way to resolve those conflicts without total breakdown. Sometimes that means letting your character fall for a trick or believe a lie that you, as a player, might want to challenge. Swallow your pride and move the story forward.

Catullus64
2018-05-18, 11:33 AM
I find that the characteristic which defines how enjoyable it is to have a certain player at the table is their ability to mentally bypass game rules and think in-character. It's the difference between somebody who speaks in terms of actions ("I compliment the Ogre on her beautiful cave, and ask if she'd be willing to give us a tour") and somebody who speaks in dice rolls ("I Persuade the ogre to let us into her cave.") Accepting the rules as a medium for roleplaying rather than the substance of the game itself is the mark of somebody who, in my mind, "gets it."

Funnily enough, this virtue seems to be possessed primarily by two classes of players: the highly experienced veterans, and the complete novice. The veterans have enough experience with the game to understand the advantages of immersive thinking, whereas the newbies don't know the rules well enough to let them govern their thinking, and are more likely to try outside-the-box solutions that a moderately experienced player would "know better" than to attempt. Middlingly experienced players seem to be the ones who get preoccupied the most with rules.

Pex
2018-05-18, 11:40 AM
Know the rules. When you don't know, learn. Know what die to roll.

Play with your fellow players, not against them nor in spite of them. Do not steal from them. Do not keep party treasure you found by yourself to yourself. If a PC needs help and you can help, help them willingly, not resentfully, pompously, or mocking ignoring. Except for scouting & reporting back and downtime, do not leave the party to go off on your own mini-adventure to have a private game with the DM with or without passing notes to each other. If the players make the dumb mistake of splitting the party, that's something else and not counting for this.

Show up to games. Once in a while you're late, that's fine. Can't make a game once in a while because of something else planned well in advanced the game was scheduled or legitimate priority such as work, family, or sickness, that's fine. If you consistently cannot make the game, even for legit priority reasons, graciously bow out of the game and tell everyone instead of leaving everyone else hanging wondering if you'll show up and contemplate what to do with your character.

Sigreid
2018-05-18, 11:56 AM
1. Is actually game to participate. I've seen some players that work hard to outsider themselves.
2. Sets goals or ideals for their character. My God this makes DMing easier.
3. Has their character view the other players' characters as friends or at least allies. Ideally they should be just as enthusiastic about helping with their comrades goals as pursuing their own.

Personally, rule mastery is pretty low on the list as long as they have an idea of their own abilities.

DMThac0
2018-05-18, 12:50 PM
Oh, this is a fun question:

Actively participates, even if you have your phone out to pass the time when you're in down time it's possible to pay attention and participate.
Respectful to the table and players. Whether this be keeping table talk to a dull roar or not telling a player they're "doing it wrong".
Helpful rather than rules lawyering. I'm human, I make mistakes, feel free to point that out. However if I rule something don't tell me "But the book says" in an attempt to prove me wrong.
Willing to test boundaries and experiment with what is available in the game. I've earned the "seen it all" badge after having been behind the screen for so long.
Has some form of plan for the character, even if it's unobtainable at the moment. Something that your character is striving to become/obtain.
Participates with the group. Even if you're the "lone wolf" you can be part of the group.

I'm sure I could come up with many more, but these are the ones that popped into mind right away.

Protato
2018-05-18, 06:05 PM
Be nice to the other players and the DM. Ideally you should know how to play your character but if not, I'll try and help. Try not to overwhelm other players, or one-up them. When applicable, be creative and/or think in character.

Waifu
2018-05-18, 09:42 PM
In general, the players at my table can all qualify as "good," but there seem to be some pitfalls that all of us, myself included, tend to fall into.
My biggest pet peeve above all else is, as Treantmonk has most elegantly put it, the lumps. I can understand if you feel a disconnect with the campaign, but at least try to participate in RP.
On the topic of lumps: Yes, that's a very nice min/maxed character you got there. Yes, I can see that your movement is 100+ and am well aware that you deal well over 100 damage each turn-you need not point it out on everyone else's turn whenever they move or deal damage, thanks.
Let's also not forget players not taking the campaign seriously. At this point, I've given up hope that any of my players' characters would be serious, but I'd still like for the players themselves to take the campaign seriously-setting this up DOES take work, after all.
I could go on and on about all the "don'ts," but those seem to be the most prevalent-at least at my table.

Seclora
2018-05-19, 12:23 AM
My best players are the ones who can be attentive when they're not the focus of attention, engage the setting and story, and not get so focused on the mechanics that they can't enjoy anything but combat.

Some other beneficial traits include:
-Willingness to try things without foreknowledge of success,
-not getting so caught up in the meta that they forget to be gaming(clarification, treating NPCs rudely because they've decided they're evil anyways, memorizing the books and ignoring when I explain the differences between the book and the house rules, telling other players that a plan won't work because it doesn't fit their interpretation of a rule without even allowing them to attempt it.),
-showing up consistently and on time in an mental state that allows them to participate(don't get so wasted the night before you know you're going to be gaming that your hangover interferes with your ability to play, if you're going through a rough patch in life let me know you need to skip a few sessions, and if sessions are always at the same time every time and you are always a half hour late please plan ahead or ask if we can change the schedule),
-not creating a distraction for other players(if you cannot resist the urge to PinTumblBook or whatever, at least do not get other players attention mid game to show them things)

Malifice
2018-05-19, 12:37 AM
Adheres to the social contract of the table. Doesnt mess with other players playing space/ game enjoyment, doesnt act like a ****, remembers its a game and no-one likes a spoilt brat/ gamist twit/ metagaming fool.

Knows the rules, engages with the story and environment, is genuinely interested in what is happening.

You cant always blame the player for not engaging with the story or getting bored. Sometimes thats the fault of a bad story.

Respects the DM (and the job he has to do, and his importance to the game), and doesnt argue with them.

I tend to simply boot players that dont fit the above mold after a session. Occasionaly I might try to include them and steer them in the right direction.

Youve gotta learn somewhere after all.

Dualswinger
2018-05-19, 12:42 AM
The number one thing I always tell my players is when the question of “why should I do this” comes up, YOU are the one responsible for the answer.

I’ve seen so many games fall apart when the Dm presents a fairly obvious quest to the party and the party replies, “we’re going to do this very dangerous thing for free? No thanks” and the entire campaign breaks down.

Work with your Dm. They’re taking the time to craft your adventures, the least you could do is not make them bend over backwards to make you go on them.

strangebloke
2018-05-19, 12:56 AM
1: Show up ready to play. If you're not there with your up to date character sheet by seven, we're starting, and I'm playing your character. Respect others' time.

2: Play nice. Share the spotlight. Play a character concept that works with the group. Don't cheat. Kindergarten level stuff.

3: Get into it! Hey, I know I'm not a professional writer, but find a way to get into the game, man. If there's something you want I'll try to work it in.

With a new player, if they have #1 I will consider playing with them. If they have #1-2 I won't kick them out. If they have #1-3 , I'll invite them to every campaign I run.

Malifice
2018-05-19, 01:03 AM
The number one thing I always tell my players is when the question of “why should I do this” comes up, YOU are the one responsible for the answer.

I’ve seen so many games fall apart when the Dm presents a fairly obvious quest to the party and the party replies, “we’re going to do this very dangerous thing for free? No thanks” and the entire campaign breaks down.

Work with your Dm. They’re taking the time to craft your adventures, the least you could do is not make them bend over backwards to make you go on them.

Actually I see that in reverse. A good DM places hooks in his adventures that are tailored to the PCs he is Dming for.

If a DM places an adventure down of 'save this NPC out of the kindness of your hearts' and the PCs are all N or E and dont really care if the NPC dies, then the DM only has himself to blame.

A better hook to use for amoral PCs is 'save the NPC and get a great reward'. For evil PCs its 'save the NPC by [time] or your evil master will be... most displeased (gulp).'

Dualswinger
2018-05-19, 05:16 AM
Actually I see that in reverse. A good DM places hooks in his adventures that are tailored to the PCs he is Dming for.

If a DM places an adventure down of 'save this NPC out of the kindness of your hearts' and the PCs are all N or E and dont really care if the NPC dies, then the DM only has himself to blame.

A better hook to use for amoral PCs is 'save the NPC and get a great reward'. For evil PCs its 'save the NPC by [time] or your evil master will be... most displeased (gulp).'

That’s a fair stance to take, and indeed it goes both ways.

I’m just talking about the kind of player who says aloud, “I don’t trust this guy. Therefore I disbelieve everything he says and will ignore all plot hooks he sends out.”

Perhaps I was just unlucky if you guys haven’t come across that kind of person. 😜

DeadMech
2018-05-19, 05:21 AM
I don't have high standards for who I'll play with.

Show up and be ready. And if you can't then tell us in advance. It's impossible to game with people who aren't there or don't have the things they need. I don't even try to find online groups anymore because every single time I go through the hassle of finding something I want to play, write an application, get lucky and get picked from the sea of applications, the game ends before we've finished a single story thread, or dungeon, or even found our first in game conflict because someone has dropped off the face of the earth. And half the time it's the DM. I don't appreciate dedicating time in my week to preparation, taking time off work, driving across the city and arriving only to find out that... welp we're playing mario kart tonight because someone's missing and we can't get a hold of them on their phone. Or they lost their sheet. We already only play once every two weeks

The other minimum is don't be a jerk no one wants to be around. I've never actually sat down at a game table or online game and met someone I couldn't stand. But I know these people exist. Workforce alone has taught me that. If you can't bathe, or you can't go five minutes without convincing me you're the next uni-bomber, or you can't stop yourself from harassing or punching or groping someone then I don't want to breath the same air as you let alone sit down and play a game.

Other things are nice though.

The ability to make decisions. When your turn comes around it's nice when you can decide what you are going to do without taking twenty minutes of table time. Or three days on a forum. Do something sub optimal if you have to. Sometimes take the lead or at least cast a vote when the party is trying to decide something.

Make concessions. On the opposite side of the coin I prefer playing with people who don't ignore the party majority opinions constantly. If you have to have your way all the time it gets old quick.

Playing a character is nice. Some people sit down and it doesn't matter what their intention is going in, what class or race they pick, what their backstory is or what they've written as their personality. Some people just aren't capable of being anything but themselves. It's not a deal breaker. I don't need you to cosplay, LARP, or voice act.

Non-smokers are preferable. I don't like second hand smoke but I might prefer it over the constant interruptions of pausing the game mid conversation or mid combat round because one of the half of the people at the table who smoke can't go another minute without their addiction. I might be a bit unfair here. It's an addiction, gaming can be stressful and tense at times when people are invested. But few other things sap as much time out of gaming night as the three or four smoke breaks. Even when the food arrives it takes less time out of the game to answer the door, pay, get plates, clear room from the very small table, mouthfuls between sentences, clean up messes. And at least I get some enjoyment out of that distraction as well.

Good players make effective teammates. D&D isn't about winning but I'm not a huge fan of losing either. Part of the game is laughing at eachother's misfortune or celebrating unlikely successes, but player's who's characters are dead weight or active detriments make it harder for the rest of us to enjoy our time. I've never been a fan of meatgrinder DnD. I like getting to know our characters and getting attached to them. If we're TPK'ing or nearly doing so every session it gets in the way of me exploring my character and their interactions with the other characters and the world around us. I'm not great at thinking up reasons why my characters would realistically continue adventuring with people they can't trust not to get them killed.

The best players though, I think, are able to create characters who have interesting things for other players and the DM to latch onto, and are able to latch onto the other player's characters and the DM's world.

Pelle
2018-05-19, 01:40 PM
First criteria is being a nice person, otherwise you will not be considered invited to our group at all.

For me, a good player is a player who take action.

I find knowing the rules (or not) is very independent of being a good player.

Requilac
2018-05-19, 05:08 PM
I am going to have to echo the sentiment here a lot of people have said. The most important trait of a good player to me would have to be politeness. If a person is able to express their thoughts and feelings in a way that isn't offensive to anyone and can except when things don't go the way they want the to, then I would automatically say that I could gladly DM for them. I can pretty much work with any player who is willing to be considerate of the other people at the table. Once that it is accomplished they can develop all the other good traits with ease.

Also another highly desirable trait is directness. I hardly recognize when someone is implying something, and if I do, then it's typically the wrong assumption. If you need to share your thoughts, do so in a coherent and unambigious manner. Please don't drop a bunch of hints and expect me to understand them. This is especially frustrating if someone tries to send me or another player a message IC, as I can't guarantee those feelings are your own. If we are all clear but respectful with our intentions, than everything works out clearly.

A person with those two traits I could easily and gladly DM. I can deal with a murder-hobo not interested in role play at all so long as they can recognize that not everyone wants to play like that and makes accommodations for them. I can deal with a rules lawyer that corrects a mistake I make every second so long as they aren't being offensive as they do it. I can deal with someone who has literally no understanding of the system so long as they aren't intentionally disrupting the game. I can deal with a min-maxer that overshadows the whole rest of the table so long as they don't selfishly hog all the attention and mock the other players.

When it comes to players not being interested in a campaign I make though, I typically view that as more of a failure on my part than theirs. If a player is completely bored, than it is my fault for not being able to engage them. I as a DM should be trying to make the game as fun/interesting as possible, and if that isn't happening I am likely to blame myself. This isn't always the case, but for the most part that's what I always believed.

Kurt Kurageous
2018-05-22, 04:13 PM
Engaged:
0. By showing up ready to play every time on time.
1. At table with the descriptions of the world and the situation they find themselves in.
2. With their character and the rules/abilities thereof.
3. With their allies.

Cooperating:
1. By suggesting solutions to the problem presented in the description.
2. By solving the current problem instead of instigating/provoking another problem.
3. By using their character abilities to advance the story along the main line.

Being Reasonable:
1. By understanding the DM is one brain and can't do it all at once.
2. By understanding the limits of the game and that going beyond the limits may lead to a DM "no" or imperfect adjudication.

Expecting More:
1. By telling the DM their expectations if they are not met.
2. By telling their allies their expectations if they are not met.

KorvinStarmast
2018-05-22, 08:31 PM
Know the rules. When you don't know, learn. Know what die to roll. Yeah. Put in some effort. What you get out of an RPG hinges up on what YOU put into it. (/rant now prevented)

Play with your fellow players, not against them nor in spite of them. Do not steal from them. In general, DBaD.

The above points are well made, and I'll add:

0. Bring your own bag of dice.
1. Show up on time
2. Be ready to start on time
3. Communicate admin stuff outside of the game. FFS, it is the year 2018. We email, text, voice, etc. There is NO EXCUSE not to communicate with the DM/other players between sessions on the little admin stuff.
4. As above, be engaged. Participate. Put some effort into your back story, even if you want to wait a few sessions to set one up (to make sure you live long enough to make it worth while)
5. Share the spotlight.
6. Learn when to joke, and when to get "into it," though I admit that this may take a bit of time to get the hang of.
7. Lastly, at the end of the session, help with clean up and don't forget to say thank you to the DM. ;) And the other players.
8. If you are not the host, bring snacks/pizza/beer/sodas/water etc.

darknite
2018-05-23, 08:15 AM
For D&D it's pretty simple. Be reasonable, have a flexible imagination and know the rules & your character.

Demonslayer666
2018-05-23, 12:08 PM
As a fairly long time RPer, and someone who always want's to improve, I thought this would be an interesting question, however it may require clarification.

When I say a Good Player, I mean if you were a GM for any system, what would you want in a player? Is it someone who knows the all the rules, but doesn't abuse them? Is it someone who is willing to learn? Is it someone who focuses on RP?

I don't want to get bogged down in the Optimization vs Roleplay arguments that can appear, as I don't believe either side is inherently better than the other.

Can you include reasons why as well? So if you say "Someone who knows the rules" is a good trait to have, explain why, i.e. "Because it means they can help other players who don't know the rules so well."

A good player involves: honesty, Paying attention, being considerate, being familiar with their character's abilities, accurately tracks their resources, announces their actions (instead of telling me to make a save), takes notes if necessary, and shares the spotlight.

Cheating players ruin the fun and make the challenge no longer a chance at failure. A player that doesn't pay attention is disrespectful, and wastes everyone else's time when you have to describe what is happening more than once. Most of these are time savers. Sharing the spotlight allows for other players to have fun.

Edit:
I wanted to add that knowing the rules is very optional for me. Just tell me what you want to try to accomplish and I will fit it to the rules. The one exception is noted above, you do need to know how your character's specific abilities work. I'm just not familiar with them all, but I'm working on it.

ErHo
2018-05-23, 04:49 PM
In direct response to the OP:

Bribery.