PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Lemurfolk Player Race

Unktena
2018-05-18, 10:47 AM
So I picked up the tome of beats, and I've set about making some of the humanoid monsters in it into playable races. I'm starting with the Lemurfolk, mostly because I happened to be testing avatar at the time, and they reminded me of Momo.

Lemurfolk:

Size: Lemurfolk tend to be about 2-3' tall. You size is small.

Speed: Lemurfolk tend to be rather clumsy on the ground, preferring to spend their time in the trees. Your base waking speed is 20'.

Alignment: Lemurfolk are curious pranksters by nature, and therefore trend towards chaotic alignments, though they are not often evil.

Ability Scores: Lemurfolk are incredibly evile in both mind and body. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your intelligence score increases by 1.

Proficiencies: You have proficiency in Stealth and Acrobatics checks, as well as blowguns.

Languages: You can speak Common and Lemurfolk, as well as any other languages added by class/background/etc.

Darkvision: Your kind had adapted to life under the shade of the jungle canopy. For 60'around you, you treat dim light in bright light, and darkness as dim light. You ARE able to see color, though your ability to do so it's limited. You see shades of red, Orange, yellow, green, blue, or purple, and grey.

Arboreal: Your kind live among the trees in which they evolved, and run up their bark almost as well as you can along the ground. You have a climbing speed of 30'.

Silent Gliding: You can glide silently through the air for one minute. You have a flying speed of 40'. In order to keep flying, you must move at least 20' on each of your turns. In order to start flying, you must be at least 5 ft off the ground. You have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks while flying. Once your minute is up, you must land for a round before being able to fly again. If you are in the air when you run out of time, or if you fail to move 20' on one of the turns, without having landed, you begin falling at a rate of 500 ft/second, taking 1d6 bludgeoning damage every 10', up to a maximum off 20d6

Please critique, feel free to use in a campaign.

I would also like to know which race you'd like to see next. I was thinking I'd do the Erina, but there are a lot of options. I probably won't be doing ravenfolk, because it literally says in the type text that they're a breed of kenku.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-18, 04:50 PM
I like it.
I really like it.
Like, i'm stealing this.
But it's a bit too strong.
The flying has no limit to how long it takes after the minute has lapsed, so fix that.
Otherwise: You have better darkvision than others, more proficiencies than most, good ASIs, climbing speed, AND evil.
That is strong. Bit of nerfing required.

GalacticAxekick
2018-05-18, 04:59 PM
Speed: Lemurfolk tend to be rather clumsy on the ground, preferring to spend their time in the trees. Your base waking speed is 30'.Small races usually have a base speed of 25', and medium creatures usually have 30'. A small race with 30' isnt clumsy.

Arboreal: Your kind live among the trees in which they evolved, and run up their bark almost as well as you can along the ground. You have a climbing speed of 10'.All humanoids can climb at half of their base speed, meaning they have effective climbing speeds of about 15'. Why is the arboreal race slower?

Unktena
2018-05-18, 07:32 PM
Small races usually have a base speed of 25', and medium creatures usually have 30'. A small race with 30' isnt clumsy.[/QUOTE]
My bad, typo. I meant to put 20, I'll fix that.

All humanoids can climb at half of their base speed, meaning they have effective climbing speeds of about 15'. Why is the arboreal race slower?[/QUOTE]
I questioned that when I saw it in the Tome of Beasts as well, but I decided to put it in at the base anyway. I'm thinking of putting the climbing speed at 30, which would officially put it as better than tabaxi, but I'm not sure how balanced that'd be fora small race, especially with the flying.

Unktena
2018-05-18, 07:36 PM
I like it.
I really like it.
Like, i'm stealing this.
But it's a bit too strong.
The flying has no limit to how long it takes after the minute has lapsed, so fix that.
Otherwise: You have better darkvision than others, more proficiencies than most, good ASIs, climbing speed, AND evil.
That is strong. Bit of nerfing required.

And yet WoTC gave it to a CR 1/4. I'm not even making a joke here, this was put on a CR 1/4 humanoid, along with 1d6 sneak attack.

That being said, I'm thinking probably for the limit, having to land on a surface and stay either on that ground or wall for a round or so would probably be reasonable...

Blackbando
2018-05-18, 08:56 PM
And yet WoTC gave it to a CR 1/4.

Tome of Beasts is by Kobold Press, not WoTC. I've heard many, many people say everything in there is like 1-3 CR levels too low.

Unktena
2018-05-19, 05:14 AM
Tome of Beasts is by Kobold Press, not WoTC. I've heard many, many people say everything in there is like 1-3 CR levels too low.

Thank you for correcting me. That being said, I will probably add some sort of restriction to the flight then.

Unktena
2018-05-19, 06:40 AM
Okay, so I've added the limitation that you need to land for a round before being able to fly again, if they stop flying because they ran out of time. This also means once that minute's up, they can't just land and start flying again in the same turn. I'm also thinking of making it so that they can't start flying from the ground unless they jump, since they fly less like a bid and more like a flying squirrel. They'd still be able to go from a wall, since squirrels can do that from the trunks of trees. Maybe a specific height requirement that they have to start from? That way, being able to stay flying from the ground would be something they'd have to work for. What says the community?