PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Mountain Dwarf Rangers

ZorroGames
2018-05-18, 11:18 AM
It is time for my Mountain Dwarf characters to let another couple of designs on the AL DMs of my gaming. 😱

Remember flavor over optimizing is a rule for me. Questions or non-rebuild comments encouraged.

Traditional “archer” build baseline: Oskar Dankil.

ST 8+2=10 (0)
DE 15 (9)
CO 13+2=15(14)
IN 10 (16)
WI 15 (25)
CH 10 (27)

Longbow, Leather, Short Swords. Buy Dagger.

Strength Ranger build: name TBD

ST 14+2=16 (7)
DE 14. (14)
CO 12+2=14 (18)
IN 10 (20)
WI 14 (27)
CH 8 (27)

Longbow(P,) Great Club(B,) Spear (P,) Scale. Buy Hand Axe.

considered

ST 15+2=17 (9)
DE 13 (14)
CO 14+2=16 (21)
IN 8 (21)
WI 13 (26)
CH 9 (27)

Fine tuning these characters.

saucerhead
2018-05-18, 12:30 PM
Strength Ranger build: name TBD Thunderbeard, Durvin

ST 14+2=16 (7)
DE 14. (14)
CO 12+2=14 (18)
IN 10 (20)
WI 14 (27)
CH 8 (27)

Longbow(P,) Great Club(B,) Spear (P,) Scale. Buy Hand Axe.

I like the idea of Dwarven rangers up in the mountains, Wardens of the North, but I always picture them with crossbows not longbows.
Favored enemy Giants, Dragons or other? Are you leaning towards any particular sub-class? Horizon-walker?

McSkrag
2018-05-18, 12:49 PM
Keeping flavor and fun in mind, you could go with Ranger Hunter and then dip into Druid Circle the Land: Mountain.

That would be consistent with your concept, fun to play with the extra spells and abilities, and open up nice character backstory and RP possibilities.

Specter
2018-05-18, 12:52 PM
Unless you're planning to take Resilient (CON) later, I don't see why not start with 14/14 in WIS/CON, instead of 15/13.

PeteNutButter
2018-05-18, 01:02 PM
I'm a big fan of strength rangers, and would go so far as to suggest taking level 1 in fighter if you are open to it. You could use the third stat arrangement or boost con up to 16. Additionally you'd get con save prof to help hold onto that hunter's mark and heavy armor + defense FS for a solid +2 AC over medium armor. Alternatively, you could leave dex at 13 and wait until level 6 after you've grabbed extra attack and take a cleric dip for heavy armor and some more spells. Tempest and War offer solid advantages, but Life cleric with Healing spirit might just make you the best healer in the party.

If you plan to use a big 2-hander (I feel a maul is fitting for a dwarven ranger) then hunter with hordebreaker is a solid choice. That's big damage on another attack.

ZorroGames
2018-05-18, 04:37 PM
I like the idea of Dwarven rangers up in the mountains, Wardens of the North, but I always picture them with crossbows not longbows.
Favored enemy Giants, Dragons or other? Are you leaning towards any particular sub-class? Horizon-walker?

Well, yes but starting equipment and all...

Hv.CB would be flavorful though a dwarf with a Longbow is just so iconoclastic that it appeals.

Giants, of course.

Since Beast Master seems borked, Gloomstalker or Hunter most likely the second. TBD.

ZorroGames
2018-05-18, 04:38 PM
Unless you're planning to take Resilient (CON) later, I don't see why not start with 14/14 in WIS/CON, instead of 15/13.

Nice insight check.

ZorroGames
2018-05-18, 04:39 PM
Keeping flavor and fun in mind, you could go with Ranger Hunter and then dip into Druid Circle the Land: Mountain.

That would be consistent with your concept, fun to play with the extra spells and abilities, and open up nice character backstory and RP possibilities.

Duly noted and will be considered.

ZorroGames
2018-05-18, 04:43 PM

If you mean Oskar, it is 15/15.

Edit: build points and Mountain Dwarf “+2” bonus to ST and CO

ZorroGames
2018-05-18, 04:49 PM
I'm a big fan of strength rangers, and would go so far as to suggest taking level 1 in fighter if you are open to it. You could use the third stat arrangement or boost con up to 16. Additionally you'd get con save prof to help hold onto that hunter's mark and heavy armor + defense FS for a solid +2 AC over medium armor. Alternatively, you could leave dex at 13 and wait until level 6 after you've grabbed extra attack and take a cleric dip for heavy armor and some more spells. Tempest and War offer solid advantages, but Life cleric with Healing spirit might just make you the best healer in the party.

If you plan to use a big 2-hander (I feel a maul is fitting for a dwarven ranger) then hunter with hordebreaker is a solid choice. That's big damage on another attack.

Those are good options, gracias.