PDA

View Full Version : Levitate /Alchemist fire question.

Stringsbatman
2018-05-18, 12:39 PM
Kind of a weird one I was joking around with my DM coming up with stupid things we could do and I noticed that the wizard levitate spell says you can lift 500 pounds 20 feet into the air. So assuming a flask of Alchemist fire weighs 1 pound and I have 480 of them in a 20-pound crate with a weak bottom, could I choose to end the spell directly above an enemy the shattering The Alchemist fire flasks? Would it be an attack roll for each flask? Would the creature get a chance to dodge? Also would the crate itself deal damage? Sorry if this is a weird one but I am curious.

Unoriginal
2018-05-18, 01:03 PM
Kind of a weird one I was joking around with my DM coming up with stupid things we could do and I noticed that the wizard levitate spell says you can lift 500 pounds 20 feet into the air. So assuming a flask of Alchemist fire weighs 1 pound and I have 480 of them in a 20-pound crate with a weak bottom, could I choose to end the spell directly above an enemy the shattering The Alchemist fire flasks? Would it be an attack roll for each flask? Would the creature get a chance to dodge? Also would the crate itself deal damage? Sorry if this is a weird one but I am curious.

If you're just dropping it on the enemies from above, I would rule it as using the rules for falling objects from the DMG.

You could also just slam the jar on them, but it'd be an attack.

Stringsbatman
2018-05-18, 01:13 PM
If you're just dropping it on the enemies from above, I would rule it as using the rules for falling objects from the DMG.

You could also just slam the jar on them, but it'd be an attack.

Would a 20-foot fall while they're in a week bottom crate be enough to shatter all of The Alchemist fire flasks?

DMThac0
2018-05-18, 01:32 PM
I'd treat it like a Fireball spell. Dex save to avoid the impact, as well as the subsequent explosion. Half damage on save.

Unoriginal
2018-05-18, 02:18 PM
Would a 20-foot fall while they're in a week bottom crate be enough to shatter all of The Alchemist fire flasks?

Well it doesn't really matter if all break on impact, as soon as one of them do the whole thing will explode.

Or you could just have one big jar filled with that much Alchemist Fire.

JackPhoenix
2018-05-18, 04:37 PM
Alchemist's fire doesn't actually explode, just burns until extinguished. With only 1d4 damage, it's not even very dangerous flame: Flask of oil does 5 damage. Using Improvising damage table from DMG, "burned by coals" is 1d10 and "stumbling into fire pit" 2d10.

Also, RAW same effect won't stack, so no matter how much of it you apply, the damage will be 1d4. I doubt many GMs would rule it like that, but there's only so much surface on the target, and most of the 480 flasks would be wasted.