PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Archer XG Martial Archtypes number of ability shots issue

Paladinatheart
2018-05-18, 04:40 PM
So I am still new to 5e (DMing 3.5 sessions for the last 10 years or so). I have a new player who is joining, playing as a Fighter Elf but chose Arcane Archer from 5e (cause he had previously played as an arcane archer prestige class in 3.5). I went through the character creation with him to create a level 4 character. But when I looked through XG I came across the Arcane shot and the number of uses which leads me to my question.

How many uses Arcane shot do I have? In XG it states that I have two uses of this ability which I regain after a short or long rest. However, does that pertain to each individual "kind" of shot or just in general?

For instance: Does that mean I can use Banishing Arrow twice and Beguiling Arrow twice? Or does it mean that I can only use one Banishing Arrow and one Beguilling Arrow, and only regain this use after a short rest?

I need some clarification please.

kind regards

ShadowSandbag
2018-05-18, 04:53 PM
The second one. You have two shots per rest, which can be any of the types of shots you have selected.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-18, 11:00 PM
To clarify: you get very few shots, but can theoretically recover their use more often through the adventuring day similar to a Warlock and their two spell slots.

From what I have seen, most like to save their use for when you score a critical and can increase the number of damage dice rolled.

I am thinking of trying out the subclass myself at some point.

Desteplo
2018-05-19, 01:45 AM
Don’t homebrew numbers
-let them play it for what it is first
-if he likes the feel of it let him play it
-it’s actually a good subclass
-once you get the Rythm of short rests down it’ll be even better

Unoriginal
2018-05-19, 03:07 AM
IIRC, the Arcane Archer can choose to use their shot *after* the arrow has hit the target, so there is no "wasted shots".

Is that correct?

DracoKnight
2018-05-19, 03:14 AM
IIRC, the Arcane Archer can choose to use their shot *after* the arrow has hit the target, so there is no "wasted shots".

Is that correct?

It depends on the shot.

HMS Invincible
2018-05-19, 08:03 AM
It depends on the shot.

Can you specify which one doesn't? Sounds wrong.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-05-19, 08:22 AM
Can you specify which one doesn't? Sounds wrong.

Once per turn when you fire a magic arrow from a shortbow or longbow as part of the Attack action, you can apply one of your Arcane Shot options to that arrow. You decide to use the option when the arrow hits a creature, unless the option doesn’t involve an attack roll.

The exceptions would be Piercing Arrow and Seeking Arrow, both of which specify that "you don’t make an attack roll for the attack."

DracoKnight
2018-05-19, 03:54 PM
The exceptions would be Piercing Arrow and Seeking Arrow, both of which specify that "you don’t make an attack roll for the attack."

This! Thank you Grod, I was AFB and only remembered that certain shots didn't.