PDA

View Full Version : Optimization anti dragon build help

Amdy_vill
2018-05-18, 08:25 PM
so i am looking for help with making a ranged anti dragon build. in the game i will be playing in will will have access to matt mercers stuff and all books. i was thinking human V probably with some fighter gunslinger and ranger or rogue and some paladin. but i think i am probably wrong about what is optimal. to define what i mean about anti dragon i am looking for a build that either does more damage to dragons, is resistant to there abilities or both.

mithrawnudo
2018-05-18, 08:36 PM
1. Dragons have a variety of abilities, so being good against a Red Dragon, i.e., fire-breath as a cone, climbing, and flying is different from a Blue Dragon, which can burrow in lieu of climbing, and has a lightning-breath as a line in lieu of fire as a cone.
2. A dragon played by a good DM should be nearly unbeatable in many situations, by the RAW.

If, however, you wish to proceed, you need to overcome a few common issues, namely: flying, legendary actions, frightful presence, and breath attacks. I'm not going to delve into munchkining dragon damage, but simply present some issues that need to be overcome with the dragons. You'll therefore need to come up with a way to stop it from flying, are you a caster so that you can magically stop it? Do you need a mundane net made of some hard to break material? You also need to deal with the fact that dragons can detect almost anything, make a tail attack on your turn, or fly a bit, hurt you, and knock you down on your turn. You also need to make successful Wisdom checks regularly. Lastly, you need a way to deal with the particular dragon's breath attack, and that means thinking about the specific dragon you are tackling.

CTurbo
2018-05-18, 09:52 PM
A Ranger is the best choice IMO. A level 7 Ranger can choose Dragon as it's greater flavored enemy and have +4 damage to all attacks against a dragon as well having advantage on saving
throws against the spells and abilities used by a dragon. You could also either have Colossus Slayer which lets you add an extra 1d8 to 1 attack per round or Giant Killer which lets you attack with your reaction if hit by an attack by a dragon. Also, you'll have multi attack defense which lets you add +4 to your AC for the rest of your turn after you've been hit by an attack.

KnotaGuru
2018-05-19, 09:15 AM
Agree that ranger is a good choice, especially if revised ranger with damage bonuses to favored enemies. Take archery fighting style and sharpshooter feat for more damage and no disadvantage to longbow attacks at 600'. Deep stalker (from UA) can get you darkvision, a bonus attack and proficiency in WIS saves. Rangers also get absorb elements, protection from poison, and protection from energy. Resilient CON feat would be a good choice as well. Get a magic longbow and dragon scale armor. What level? Ranger 9/Rouge 3 would do very well.

Kuulvheysoon
2018-05-19, 12:32 PM
A Ranger is the best choice IMO. A level 7 Ranger can choose Dragon as it's greater flavored enemy and have +4 damage to all attacks against a dragon as well having advantage on saving
throws against the spells and abilities used by a dragon. You could also either have Colossus Slayer which lets you add an extra 1d8 to 1 attack per round or Giant Killer which lets you attack with your reaction if hit by an attack by a dragon. Also, you'll have multi attack defense which lets you add +4 to your AC for the rest of your turn after you've been hit by an attack.

Note that the poster above is referring to the Revised Ranger UA, which may not be in use at every table (consult your DM).

CTurbo
2018-05-19, 02:04 PM
Note that the poster above is referring to the Revised Ranger UA, which may not be in use at every table (consult your DM).

Yes fair enough I should have said that. I still think this is the best option though if it's allowed.

Naanomi
2018-05-19, 02:07 PM
Monster Slayer makes good dragon hunters; especially if the GM uses spellcasting dragons (but good anyways)