PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Discipline Idea for ToB

elliott20
2007-09-05, 04:42 PM
Prestige Discipline

a while back, somebody gave me the idea of doing a thing called "prestige discipline", which is much like a prestige class, but with less class dedication. The design philosophy behind this idea is so that PrC are generally not just a particular skill set but a group/lifestyle you must dedicate yourself to, while a Prestige Disicpline (PD from now on) is really just a shift in martial skillsets that do not necessarily warrant a change in flavor or class.

Rules:

In order to enter all PDs, the character needs to satisfy certain requirements which are somewhat similar to that of entering a PrC. Common entrance criteria would be maintaining a number of maneuvers from a few disciplines that it is based in, or that the character must always know a particular maneuver. (i.e. must always know one of the "nightmare blade" line maneuvers) Certain requirements such as a feat might be appropriate for schools that utilize a specific feat. (i.e. a iaijutsu based discipline will require that you know the "quick draw" feat)

Any time a character no longer meets the requirements of the PD, he loses usage of all the maneuvers within the PD. this encourages the players maintain their base maneuvers and ensure that the PDs are not something they can't flippantly enter, but still has enough flexibility that should they want to forgo the knowledge, they can abandon it for something else. However, most masters do not take too kindly to watching their pupil turn their back on their teachings and often take this as an affront if not a challenge to their school.

keep in mind PD are supposed to a specialization discipline, not a replacement for existing disciplines. So, when designing a PD, it is encouraged that the designer creates options based around a specific aspect of the martial discipline. i.e. if I wanted to make a PD that's called "Red Cyclone Wrestling" (think zangief), the entire discipline will be expanding upon grappling actions and perhaps expanding what the improved grapple feat can do.

So, without further delay, here are a couple sample PDs I've designed: (I'm still tinkering with the numbers so any suggestions is appreciated)

Shuang Qi

The Shuang Qi (literally translated as "the two breaths") embraces the idea of balance and order internally and externally. They embrace the many ideas of the setting sun that there will always be someone who is stronger or faster than you, and that to be invincible one must be more like the water that flows through a river or the wind that blows through the trees. The two breaths, in this case, refers to the display of outward strength, muscle mass, etc, and the ability to embrace and absorb that strength, much like the Ying and Yang. However, unlike Setting Sun, this school does not utilize all the grappling arts to the same degree, and have a much greater number of offensive moves.

The skill used for this discipline is sense motive. The weapons associated with this discipline are longsword, shortsword, rapier, and scimitar.

Requirements:
alignment: any Lawful
initiater level: 4
2 setting sun maneuvers
2 diamond mind maneuvers

level 1 (Swordsage 3)
Sound of the River: (Stance) As long as opponent remains engaged, +4 Dodge Bonus AC and +10 to all sense motive attempts when used against opponent in a combative capacity.
Well of Chi: (Counter) +4 bonus to a single physical stat until next round.
Endless Dance: (Stance) As long as MA uses the total defense or partial defense action, he may gain a free 5 foot step each time his opponent misses a melee attack targeting him.

level 2 (Swordsage 4)
Chi Stream: (strike) overcomes DR based on sense motive check
Grappling Vine: (strike) disarms opponent with sense motive check
Wet Cloth: (Counter) While using “Sound of” stances, if opponent misses melee attack, MA can take reduce damage based on sense motive check.

level 3 (Swordsage 5)
Sound of the Wind: (Stance) As long as opponent remains within reach range, MA ignores concealment
Well of Boundless Chi: (Counter) bonus to a single physical stat until next round. Based on sense motive check
Guided Foe: (Counter) While using “Sound of” stances, on a missed melee attack, character makes an opposed sense motive check to move opponent to another square around them

level 4 (Swordsage 6)
Chi Pillar: (strike) overcomes DR based on sense motive check, pushes opponent back
Fueling the Heart: (Counter) gains DR based on sense motive check
Light as a Leaf: (Counter) While using “Sound of” stances, if opponent misses melee attack, MA can take a free move equivalent action

level 5 (Swordsage 7)
Sound of the Cosmos: (Stance) As long as opponent remains within 30 feet of MA, MA ignores concealment, gains AC bonus as well as sense motive bonus
Chi Cannon: (Strike) overcome DR based on sense motive check, pushes opponent back, and stuns opponent
Pristine Soul: (Counter) gains SR based on sense motive check