PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A If a Web spell and an Evard's Black Tentacles overlap, what is the interaction?

Hua
2018-05-19, 12:44 AM
The Tentacles are 10' long and waving around to grapple creatures. Would the Web be destroyed by this? Would the web entangle the tentacles, making them less or not effective?
The Tentacles only grapple creatures, so would there be no interaction at all?
A possible factor in deciding this could also be that EBT is a 4th level spell and web is a 2nd level spell.

Venger
2018-05-19, 12:56 AM
both spells only affect creatures. evard's black tentacles don't destroy the web, and the web doesn't entangle the tentacles. the area where they overlap would impose the penalties of both spells if you walk into it.

ericgrau
2018-05-19, 02:00 AM
both spells only affect creatures. evard's black tentacles don't destroy the web, and the web doesn't entangle the tentacles. the area where they overlap would impose the penalties of both spells if you walk into it.
The spells don't say they only affect creatures, they only say what effects they have on creatures and specify a small amount of other interaction. Fire in the case of web. So it's up to the DM to decide on what's not specified... or the forum could offer the DM some guesses to help him along. "It doesn't say" isn't "RAW".

Guess time. Tentacles have a strength score and web a strength DC, so I'd go by that to determine whether or not the tentacles can move and therefore grapple each round. Breaking free doesn't normally destroy a web and the tentacles wouldn't actively try to grab or destroy the web, so IMO leave the web undamaged. Though that depends on your definition of "waving members", whether that's gentle or violent. Either way I don't think you can grapple just by waving around randomly, so I don't think that's a very active part of the spell and probably doesn't have a major effect.

Venger
2018-05-19, 03:10 AM
The spells don't say they only affect creatures, they only say what effects they have on creatures and specify a small amount of other interaction. Fire in the case of web. So it's up to the DM to decide on what's not specified... or the forum could offer the DM some guesses to help him along. "It doesn't say" isn't "RAW".
Fine.

Things that aren't creatures cannot be subjected to the entangled or grappled conditions, so the spells would not have an effect on one another.

Guess time. Tentacles have a strength score and web a strength DC, so I'd go by that to determine whether or not the tentacles can move and therefore grapple each round. Breaking free doesn't normally destroy a web and the tentacles wouldn't actively try to grab or destroy the web, so IMO leave the web undamaged. Though that depends on your definition of "waving members", whether that's gentle or violent. Either way I don't think you can grapple just by waving around randomly, so I don't think that's a very active part of the spell and probably doesn't have a major effect.

Yeah, that makes sense.

DrMotives
2018-05-19, 06:31 AM
It sounds like a great 2-spell base for a Living Spell. Like a Venom symbiote just gone huge and not symbioting anymore.