PDA

View Full Version : Weapons: Fewer, but more different

hymer
2018-05-19, 05:29 AM
I'm toying with an idea for a house rule on weapons for a coming campaign with a European dark ages/viking feeling to it. I want only a few melee weapons, and a few missile weapons. But I want the choices to be meaningful.

For melee, I'd have the Axe, Spear, and Sword, all able to deal all three kinds of weapon damage, and each with their own headfake towards their specific capabilities.

Sword: Nimble (+1 AC). Light, finesse, versatile.
B/P/S: d4/d8/d6. Versatile: d8/d12/d10

Axe: Good vs. armour? (*). Heavy, versatile.
B/P/S: d6/d4/d8. Versatile: d10/d8/d12

Spear: Extra Attack functions when used with a Ready Action or an Opportunity Attack. Reach (10'), thrown (20/60), versatile.
B/P/S: d4/d8/d4. Versatile: d8/d12/d8

And perhaps a basic hitty thing for picking up a piece of wood, which would have no particular advantages and unspectacular damage (bludgeoning only).

* I don't yet know how this should play out. It might be +2 to hit against anyone with an armour bonus to AC. But that's fiddly.

So, dear playgrounders, please furnish me with your appreciated suggestions, thoughts, observations, and opinions!

Eric Diaz
2018-05-19, 11:08 AM
Like the idea, not the implementation. The main problem is that B/P/S are basically the same 99% of the time, so I don't see the point (ha!) of having a spear with 1d4 bl damage.

What about maces? All axes are heavy?

Here is what I've got so far FWIW:

Simple weapon: 1d6 damage (choose bl/sl/pi), 2 gp, 2 lb., and choose one or two properties (you can choose 3 if you change the damage to 1d4).

Martial weapon: 1d8 damage (choose bl/sl/pi), 20 gp, 2 lb., and choose one property (you can choose two if you change the damage to 1d6):

Properties:

* Versatile, double weight and cost, cannot be combined with finesse or light. Bump the damage by one step (1d6 to 1d8, etc.)

* Finesse.

* Light.

* Thrown.

* Cheap: the cost is converted to sp instead of gp if the weapon is simple, or halved if the weapon is martial.

* Two-handed (triple weight and cost, cannot pick other properties). Bump the damage by two steps (1d6 to 1d10, 1d8 to 1d12 etc.) You can swap 1d12 for 2d6 if desired. Martial weapons that are two handed also gain the heavy property.

* Reach + two-handed + heavy + 1d10 damage (must be martial, triple weight and cost, cannot be combined with other properties).

Adjusting cost and weight:

* If your weapon deals 1d6 damage or more, you can cut the cost in half by adding 50% weight.

* If your weapon deals 1d4 damage, you can halve the weight by doubling the cost.

Ganymede
2018-05-19, 11:25 AM
Like the idea, not the implementation. The main problem is that B/P/S are basically the same 99% of the time, so I don't see the point (ha!) of having a spear with 1d4 bl damage.

Yeah. I'd be tempted to label all b/p/s damage as "Weapon Damage" and let the DM determine ad hoc whether you can cut a rope with a hammer.

Laserlight
2018-05-19, 11:51 AM
I don't think you need to emphasize the difference between a mace and an axe. Taking a mace hit on the hip will kill you just as dead as an axe hit would, even if it doesn't penetrate the armor.

Dagger, shortsword, sword, hand axe, versatile axe, great axe, javelin, spear, light bow and heavy bow--that should pretty much suffice.

Desteplo
2018-05-19, 12:04 PM
You can always look at the fire emblem weapon triangle

-sword - balance
-axe - +1 damage -1 hit
-lance - +1 hit -1 damage

Material of it changes it’s property
-brass- +1 ac but no bonuses or abilities apply (no smites etc)

Iron- more base line material

Steel- +1 weapon

Silver +2 weapon good vs—-

Adamatine +2 weapon good vs—-

Just a quick list

hymer
2018-05-19, 01:34 PM
The main problem is that B/P/S are basically the same 99% of the time, so I don't see the point (ha!) of having a spear with 1d4 bl damage.

Yeah. I'd be tempted to label all b/p/s damage as "Weapon Damage" and let the DM determine ad hoc whether you can cut a rope with a hammer.
I intend to have damage type be relevant as part of making the choices relevant. Knowing which type of damage works best, or which to avoid, should come up in something like a third of (potential) fights if I do things right.

What about maces?
There aren't any actual maces. They are for heavier armour than is available. Only the richest fighters will have access to a hauberk.

All axes are heavy?
Top heavy at any rate.

Here is what I've got so far FWIW
Thanks, but that would lead to many, many weapons, not a few.

@ Laserlight & Desteplo: Thanks for the thoughts!

Grod_The_Giant
2018-05-19, 04:01 PM
As a general rule of thumb, active abilities are much more memorable and flavorful than passives. Instead of trying to differentiate weapons by stat, I'd suggest perhaps giving each weapon a special maneuver that can be used by anyone wielding the weapon. Something like...

Sword: Disarm--As an action, you can attempt to disarm your opponent. They must make a Dex save or be disarmed. You can grab their weapon if you have a free hand, or to kick it 10 feet away if you do not.
Axe: Smash--As an action, you can attempt to knock your foe to the ground. Make a Strength check, with a DC equal to your opponent's AC or passive Athletics, whichever is higher. If you succeed, they are knocked prone and take damage equal to your Strength modifier.
Spear: ?
Crossbow: ?
Bow: Overdraw--As a bonus action, you can increase the range of your next attack by 50%.

That sort of thing

Desteplo
2018-05-20, 12:50 AM
There’s also a weapon feats UA. Pretty good. Was a while ago

Knaight
2018-05-20, 01:14 AM
Dagger, shortsword, sword, hand axe, versatile axe, great axe, javelin, spear, light bow and heavy bow--that should pretty much suffice.

I'd add the club, sling, and seax (though that can be included as just dagger/seax), given the specific aim of viking/dark age. A couple of rocks (light rock, heavy rock) could also help, not least because their inclusion on a weapon list really says something about how fighting goes down in setting. To make room collapsing the swords and axes a bit should work just fine, though there is a big difference between the one and two handed axe.